“comfortable and welcoming” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Robinsons in the City

You added Robinsons in the City to your Saves list
Robinsons in the City
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   405 Spencer Street | (entry on Batman Street), Melbourne, Victoria 3003, Australia   |
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary bottle of wine
Ranked #2 of 29 Melbourne B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“comfortable and welcoming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Everything about this place was lovely. The host, Paul, is delightful and friendly; the breakfast was delicious and plentiful; reasonably priced; close to the railway station and Vic Markets; and the room was very comfortable (although I did have to walk down the corridor for the bathroom). On the downside, the property is near a nightclub, and just before Christmas on the Saturday night there was quite some noise coming in and vibrating on the walls. But, the noise stopped around 11pm. All in all, I loved staying here

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
HumphAust, Owner at Robinsons in the City, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
ippigirl, thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Robinsons in the City. I am pleased that you thought "everything about this place was lovely". We certainly enjoyed meeting you and chatting over breakfast. I do need to clarify one thing regarding the noise you encountered - there is NO nightclub nearby, however there is a restaurant that had a private Christmas function on. Yes it was a little noisy (I live here as well and I went in there to ask them to turn it down during the evening) but as you mentioned it was over before midnight. Once again, we do publicise that some of our bathrooms are "separate, private bathrooms" - so it shouldn't be a surprise to our guests. Regards, Paul.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

The room was nice, the reakfast was great, and the location was exceptional.

Above all, Paul was the most friendly, helpful, and amazing B&B innkeeper you could hope for. He was so personable, friendly, and helpful that I would recommend staying here if only for the chance to meet him!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
HumphAust, Owner at Robinsons in the City, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Explorer_Practicum, I noticed that you have over 50 contributions on TripAdvisor - so I thank you for submitting one for your last night in Australia at Robinsons in the City.

The key to any stay, anywhere is the people that are looking after you. I am pleased that you found me friendly and helpful. I enjoy my role as a B&B operator and as a self appointed ambassador for Melbourne.

I hope you have a great 2014 and get to do a heap more travelling.

Buderim, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at Robinsons on a recent work visit to Melbourne. What a wonderful hidden gem. Robinsons is a very affordable, comfortable, clean and most importantly relaxing and enjoyable B and B. Paul the owner you can tell has vast experience before he opened this B and B. His willingness to assist and offer his knowledge and just offer good old fashioned professional service. I listened as he helped two other couples with recommendations for restaurants and their pending visit the following day to a Spa in Daylesford. Breakfast was lovely as well. Very simple but very healthy and hot breakfast. The room was very large and comfortable and it was lovely to see San Pellegrino Water in the room and Wi Fi codes all set up. You didn't have to waste time asking for a thing and the honour system for the bar worked well as I relaxed in the lounge before heading out for dinner. Do yourself a favour and stay here when your travels take you to Melbourne. A clean and friendly yet run very professionally and literally a short walk to Melbourne CBD and wonderful restaurants. I thought this would be a wonderful place to completely book out for a small group visiting Melbourne you literally would have the whole place to yourselves.. Cannot recall how many rooms they have on the two levels but I think it is 9 or 10.
Thank you Paul for making my stay so enjoyable. I travel and stay in 5 star hotels each week and to come and relax at Robinsons was perfect having been away from my family.

Room Tip: I have stayed in rooms on lower level and upstairs and both are lovely. I was impressed with the siz...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
VeronicaR67, Wow - thanks for the extensive review.

One thing I need to confirm is that we have six guestrooms at Robinsons in the City.

Thank you for pointing out the things that you enjoyed about your stay with us. I am sure other TripAdvisor users will find your contributions helpful.

Ducktown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I tried to make a reservation inApril 2013 for December the 1st, and unfortunatly Paul couldn't confirm back then. But Paul stayed in contact with me, gave me updates and finaly told me, that my booking could be confirmed now. That I call a perfect service.
To our stay itself: The B&B is located in an historic bakery, the room we stayed in (Flinders) was spacious, the bathroom private but over the floor. Upstairs were only two rooms, so no problem with that. The breakfast left no wishes open, Paul did everything to satisfy our wishes.
The location: A little ouitside of the center, but one block away to the free city circle tram that runs every 15 min in both directions.
Paul took an hour time at our arrival to give us information about what to do and what to see.
After three days we left homa and a friend.
Dirk & Marion

Room Tip: Flinders is upstairs and big,
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ducky0606,

It was great to meet you both during your recent stay at Robinsons in the City and I thank you for submitting your extensive review.

You have mentioned our customer service and property features, that other will find appealing. I look forward to welcoming you back to Robinsons in the City on your next trip to Melbourne.

Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We stayed at Robinsons in the City for three nights. We had a lovely room (red door) with a private hall bathroom(red door) just for ourselves. Room doors and hall bath doors had matching colors to make it easy to know which one was ours. A very clever idea. Robes were also made available for us. Paul was a very knowledgeable and congenial host, always ready to help us with any questions. Robinsons is a short free tram ride to the center of the city. We prefer to walk whenever we can and found the walk into the city a little long, but not at all difficult to orient ourselves. In fact, it enabled us to see parts of Melbourne we may not have stopped at when using the tram. At the end of the day it was wonderful to be able to relax in a real living room instead of our bedroom. It made the place more like a home than a hotel. My favorite room was the section that had been the old bakery. Set up with a large communal table it felt warm and comfortable. My husband and I do not usually eat large breakfasts so I cannot comment on the availability of particular foods, but the cereals and fruits set out for us were very good and fresh. Coffee or tea were also available. All in all Robinsons took very good care of us.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ellen L,

I am glad that you enjoyed your three night stay with us. You have highlighted a few of our key features - bathrobes, local knowledge, location to transport, access to the city, guest lounge, hearty breakfast and a unique accommodation experience.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, it will be helpful to future guests!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Our stay in Robinsons was really good. It's a small hotel on a good location in Melbourne. Paul, the general manager, was very helpfull and was a good host. The room (Flindersroom) was good, even with a (good) bathroom not in the room. Breakfast is ok. Two small things that can be better: WiFi is not really powerfull in the room and the bed was a bit soft. But when you're in Melbourne stay in Robinsons

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Nielsvt1302, Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased that you enjoyed my hospitality and I appreciate you providing some positive feedback on your "two small things"..

I have installed a Wi-Fi range extender at that end of the building to help increase the signal strength. As for the bed, I try to meet all travellers needs, and beds are a very personal thing. The next guest will comment that they thought it was a great bed!

Thanks again, Paul.
Potters Bar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Two nights in Melbourne during a busy holiday schedule. Robinsons is small and friendly and excellently located close to all transport and walkable for sightseeing and for the nightlife and restaurants on the banks of the Yarra. It is in a converted commercial building and on main street with limited window light and definitely no views. However our room was huge (although not all are as big), and every facility and comfort has been thought of. Outside the room there is a relaxing lounge with books and games if you have time and a small kitchen and fridge, bottles of wine and other drinks available for purchase.
Communal breakfast around large homely table was convivial and adequate, although there seemed some division between full and continental breakfast - evidently we were on the latter, so if full breakfast is what you want you should check your meal plan.

Room Tip: They do vary in size so need to check what you are getting is this is important
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HumphAust, General Manager at Robinsons in the City, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
chez-manoir, thank you for your extensive review of your recent stay at Robinsons in the City and mentioning our friendly service and location. I think your note on "limited window light" is making mention of the Superior King Room on the ground floor which has frosted windows on the bottom 2/3 of the three window panes. This is for two reasons 1: so passer-bys can't see into the room, and 2: the room overlooks the street, which isn't an impressive outlook. You are also right in saying we don't have views - given we are a two storey building in inner-city Melbourne.
The guest lounge and the Bakehouse breakfast room are great features of Robinsons and are well used and enjoyed.
We offer a variety of inclusions (breakfast, car-parking, etc) with our rates on a variety of different websites. You have made a good suggestion - double-checking what you are getting with ALL online bookings is important. Cheers, Paul.

Been to Robinsons in the City? Share your experiences!