“A Hidden Jem!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
London
“A Hidden Jem!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

I have to start by telling everyone that is looking for a place to stay in Melbourne that this is such a special hotel and I highly recommend it to anyone looking at travelling to Melbourne.

My husband and I chose this hotel after seeing it advertised in a travel magazine and booked it through the hotels website.

From the moment we walked in the door we received such amazing service. The reception staff always welcomed us with a smile no matter what time a day it was and were willing to help us with everything we required to make our trip to Melbourne what we expected it to be.

The building is an old heritage listed building one of only a few left along St Kilda Road. It’s such a hidden jem. As soon as you walk in the gates the feel of the building and its little garden is so warm and friendly. You feel like you are at home which made it very easy to relax.

The hotel has a tram stop right outside the front door, which made it easy to experience Melbourne. Only 10 minutes from the City Centre and 10 minutes from St Kilda Beach the location is ideal for those who want to stay close to the city but don't want the hustle and bustle of staying right in the city.

The hotel has its own restaurant, which caters for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food is of a very high quality and the menu changed slightly from day to day so we never felt like we were eating the same food over and over again. The hotel is also close to some very popular eating and shopping destinations such as Chapel Street and Fitzroy Street, which we would probably not have experienced if we had stayed right in the city.

I would like to thank everyone at the Hotel Charsfield who helped make our stay one of the most memorable trips my husband and I have experienced over the past twenty years.
we had such and amazing time.

We will definitely be back some day.

• Liked — The highest quality of customer service offerd by every staff we came across whilst staying at the hotel
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Korean first
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

I booked two rooms in this hotel with a friend for Dec 30th and 31st, 2008 on a trip around Australia. We chose this hotel after looking at the website, thinking that it was a small hotel and perhaps therefore a nicer place to stay.

It is located in a business district but with a tram stop right outside the door. Unfortunately on arrival we were told by the receptionist that there was no car park; we had to stop our car on the road outside and carry out bags in, and up the steps to the reception area; no assistance with any luggage. Both of our rooms were upstairs so we then had to carry all of our luggage up the stairs to the first floor.

We were advised that the hotel had an arrangement with a nearby car park and thety issued us with a swipe card to gain access to the car park. This wouldn't work and so I had to take a normal ticket to get in; the car park attendants told me that the had lots of trouble with these cards from the hotel and suggested we get the hotel to sort it out with the swipe card issuer (a Car Parking Company). I returned to reception and explained the problem but was met with indifference. Eventually a manager came out and agreed to sort out the probleml; an hour later I was told it was all sorted.

Two days later when we went to leave, the card wouldn't open the gate barrier; I returned to the hotel to complain but after a lenghty discussion got nowhere - the receptionist only said I would have to pay again for the parking as I had taken a ticket and refused to refund any of the costs the hotel had charged. No manager was available or could be contacted. I was told flatly to get lost; the attitude was we have your money and are not interested in helping a customer.

A few other comments; the rooms are really small, no proper wardrobes or storage space. No room safes and the rear door to the hotel was left open during the day with no access control. Door locks on the rooms were of poor quality and windows facing onto a low roof were equally poorly secured.

We chose this hotel in the hope of service, not on price and certainly feel we were short changed.

• Liked — Close to a tram stop
  • Disliked — Unhelpful staff without any concession towards customer service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lincoln England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2008

Arrived at the Charlsfield in Melbourne not tired but ready for a 4 day break in a degree of comfort having booked a suite, and asked for a view if possible. From the front the facade is one of oppulance, and the entrance is quite nice, but it stops there.

The room we were given was a hike to the absolute rear of the hotel, and up 2 flights of stairs, no lift and two 23 kilogramme cases to man handle. The entrance was straight into the toilet/shower room, the suite was tiny a small sofa, desk with TV and fridge unit. The bedroom was just big enough for a small double bed, the wardrobe had 1 dressing gown of dubious age it was unclean and smelt of old aftershave, and there was just enough room in the wardrobe to fit about 3 shirts and a couple of pairs of trousers , hardly adequate for two adults on a 4 day stay.

In fairness it is possibly a good room for a single person on an overnight stay, with little clothing. It was clean and the provisions in the bathroom were good, also the girl on reception was trying to be helpful.

I asked reception if they had a more adequate suite available for a 4 night stay , but was not getting very far with the request until a "lady" came out of a door adjacent the the RHS of the reception desk, she asked what the problem was and I politely asked if there were any larger rooms likely to be made available, I was given a fairly good option from my point of view as I couldnt see things beinbg any better anywhere else in the hotel. "Just pay for one night and leave tomorrow" , at almost $200 a night it was an appaling choice I had made and would have left the following day anyway, but the attitude swung the decision and made it much easier.

The one night we stayed was bad to say the least, the room overlooked a road running behind the hotel, very noisy, and the view of the disused gym car park complete with graffiti and odd characters not nice. The view from the bedroom looked onto an underground car park on a new complex , this was well protected as it had a very heavy set of steel gates that opened on production of a magnetic card to let the occupants in and out of the car park, wonderful, but the noise from the gates which opened and closed until late at night was great if your an insomniac, but no good for sleeping and I do not lie, every time the gate opened or closed it sounded like a dustcart was picking up the large wheelbins, incidentally there were people going out and in for approximately 18 hours a day, they started going out again at 0600 hrs in the morning.

As someone who has travelled extensively worldwide for many years I can honestly see the potential for this hotel. The site is very large and suitable for leaving the facade at the front and knocking the rest down and building a new hotel/flats or offices behind that facade, I am sure that as time moves on someone will give the place some TLC, certainly hope so.

Do not be fooled by the photographs on many internet sites of the rather oppulent public rooms, they are realistic insofar as they do show real public rooms, but that does not reasonably reflect the avergae room you will probably be asked to put up with!

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

I recently stayed at the hotel which proved great as I had business nearby. Taxi to the hotel from Skybus terminal was $12.50. (St Kilda Rd is just out side of the skybus courtesy hotel shuttle.) There was a nice restaurant just nextdoor and a quick walk to Commercial Road found a decent cafe or two.

The hotel staff were very friendly, I felt like i was more staying in a guest house than a hotel. Complete with reading room, billiard room and dining room it was all quite charming. Being an older building there are no lifts so be prepared to lug your suitcase upstairs. The room was small however the bed was very comfortable and the room was very quiet. Room service was prompt and the food tasty and reasonably priced.

I will definitely stay here again if i have business in the area, otherwise I would be more likley to stay in the city centre.

• Liked — Friendly relaxed atmosphere, free wireless internet
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Newport Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

This hotel is a bit out of the "down town" area, but we liked it that way. All you have to do is get a day pass on Melbourne's transit system and you are set to go. The hotel is an okay four star. By that I mean, it is older, no lifts, etc. However, clean, charming and the staff very friendly and helpful. The breakfast are very good. Our room was a "family room", which was a queen bed, single bed and a pull out couch. Since this was probably a Manor of some sort at one time, the bathrooms are a rather awkward addition. Thin, but, nicely appointed so really not a minus, just not a luxury bath! I would recommend! It is not the Ritz - but a very nice boutique!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2008

I couldn’t fault this hotel in any way. It was exactly the kind of hotel that I was looking for – beautiful period building, well kept, well located and fantastic staff!

The Hotel Charsfield is an interesting building – a gorgeous period building nestled amongst tall office blocks and apartment blocks. Inside the hotel there are lots of period features, stained glass, cornicing, fireplaces etc. This was also reflected in our room, which had a beautiful ceiling.

Internet access is free in this hotel – a big advantage! It was located in the lounge area and was hardly ever occupied! There is also a very nice snooker room. We weren’t driving, but the hotel looked to have good parking facilities. There was also a laundry room. It should also be noted that the hotel looked to have excellent corporate facilities.

The hotel is very well located on St. Kilda Rd. There is a tram stop outside the hotel, and the CBD is about 10 mins by tram. It is also well located for the suburb of St. Kilda (also about 10 mins by tram) – which is definitely worth a visit, the shopping there is very good and there is a gorgeous beach, and a pier where penguins can be seen in the evenings. There are also some fantastic restaurants. Tram tickets can be purchased from the front desk daily. There were also some nice restaurants nearby the Charsfield on St. Kilda road.

Our room was very nicely furnished and decorated. We had a twin room, with two good-sized beds, and a wardrobe with plenty of space. There was also a desk, a minibar and a good-sized television. As mentioned above, the ceiling was lovely, with original cornicing. The room also had air-conditioning/heating. The en-suite bathroom was also very nice with a large shower. The room was cleaned daily to a very high standard. We could not fault the room at all.

The hotel staff were absolutely wonderful. I have never felt so welcome in any hotel. When we first arrived we were a couple of hours too early for check-in. We asked the staff if there was any possibility of checking in early and they were extremely accommodating. They asked the cleaning staff to prioritise our room so that it would be ready for us as soon as possible and directed us to a very nice lounge where we could have coffee while we waited. Also, we felt as if the staff were genuinely interested in how we were getting on in Melbourne. They would ask us in the morning what we were up to that day, and then they would remember what we had been doing and asked in the evening how we had enjoyed our day. The staff were also very helpful in recommending areas of the city that were relevant to our particular interests, and in telling us how to get there.

The hotel restaurant was very nice. We ate there once and had room service numerous times. Meals were served to a very high standard and the staff were wonderful.

For us this hotel was definitely worth the price, we had a fantastic time there and were genuinely sorry to be leaving. If I was in Melbourne again I would have no hesitation in staying there. I absolutely recommend the Hotel Charsfield.

• Liked — The hotel building
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2008

I was in Melbourne for business, working out of an office on St. Kilda Rd, so my travel agent selected this property. If it wasn't so close to the office, I would have rather stayed somewhere more like a hotel than an inn, but there are not many options in that area.

Anyway, this hotel does not come up on the GPS used by taxi drivers, so make sure you know where to tell them to go. Its a big old house in between several modern office buildings. You might have trouble getting inside if you have alot of luggage. The staff is as friendly as usual in Australia, so no problem there. The place does feel somewhat intimate, as if you are staying in a B&B and the whole family works there. Maybe because its so small, I dunno.

I expected the room to be tiny and frilly, but it was actually quite large and modern in decor. I had to crank up the AC, but it worked very well. There is a restaurant in-house with a good menu, but the dining room is very small and full of drinkers, so you might want room service, or you can walk to some restaurants down the road. Also, the breakfast is REALLY expensive, so you are better off going to one of the several cafes that are in the office buildings along the street.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business