“Beautiful hotel - great service” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Charsfield
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   478 St. Kilda Rd, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia   |
Ranked #31 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Tasmania
“Beautiful hotel - great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I stayed at this hotel due to its closeness to the Alfred Hospital where I was doing a course, and of course in part due to the reviews that I read. I was not disappointed. It is very much a boutique hotel, and if your mobility is limited the stairs may be a bit of a challenge - and you may be better suited by a hotel with lifts. The room was beautifully furnished - high ceilings - very comfortable bed. The bathroom was tiny (very) but once again beautifully appointed. My room was very quiet (103) - no view at all - but consequently no traffic noise. If there are niggles they are minor. I'm glad my husband wasn't with me - he'd regard the television as very small - but it suited me. The free Wi-Fi worked well - no problems. I found the reception staff friendly and accommodating. I had breakfast (continental) there the first morning, but thereafter,I admit, got a cheaper full breakfast next door. Dined there one night - food was delightful, beautifully cooked and presented. Overall, a hotel to recommend. (I did the eco-limo transfer to the airport arranged by the reception staff - a Prius - friendly driver, very clean vehicle and very smooth transfer).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Charsfield478, Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear RadishTas

Thank you for taking the time to post a great review on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the wonderful charm, furnishings and beautifully appointed rooms Hotel Charsfield has available.

As we are a Heritage listed building, we have restrictions on the modifications we are able to carry out in the Hotel. Unfortunately, we can not provide lift facilities, but certainly can offer accommodation on the ground floor upon request for guests that are unable to manage stairs.

I am pleased that you found the staff friendly and accommodating and enjoyed the meals on offer in our restaurant. I will also pass on your thanks and appreciation to Eco-Limo's, as Hotel Charsfield recommends this company to guests looking for private transfers.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel when you next return to Melbourne.

Property Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

This was my first trip to Australia and the staff here made every effort to make my stay totally
wonderful and terrific! The meals were delicious and the waiters were so marvelous. The
front desk staff went very far out of their way to make sure I had all the information that I
needed to enjoy my stay. I highly recommend this awesome hotel. The rooms are quite
delightful and the surrounding neighborhood was superb.

Room Tip: I liked the upper rooms in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Pepper F

Thank you for your fantastic 5 star review.

I am absolutely delighted that your enjoyed your first trip to Australia and Hotel Charsfield staff went out of their way to ensure you felt welcome, informed and had everything you required to have a wonderful stay.

Thank you once again for your great review, I will certainly share with all the staff.
We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hotel Charsfield in the near future.

Buderim, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Stumbled onto this little boutique hotel online - fortunately! It is quite beautiful - oldest building in St Kilda Road and utterly charming. Like staying in someones magnificent home! Loved everything from the library/lounge to the billiard room. Had a fabulous dinner - all soft lighting and candles and delicious food. Really a magnificent place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mandy B

Thank you for taking the time to post a fantastic 5 star review.

We are delighted that you found Hotel Charsfield unique and charming, it certainly is a magnificent building with an abundance of character, history and style. Your comments regarding our popular complimentary Reading Room and Snooker Room facilities are also appreciated.

We do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel on your next visit to Melbourne.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

I loved my stay at this hotel, it was just right for someone who wanted somewhere to come back and relax after being out in Melbournes' hustle and bustle. The internet is amazing, not the slow connection I expected, and the continental breakfast was wonderful!

It is a little far out but for me this was a plus, it was easy enough to get in to town with the tram just out front or a taxi (usually about $15)

I'm defiantly going back

• Stayed March 2014
Charsfield478, Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Jennifer 6210

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at Hotel Charsfield.

I am so delighted that you loved your experience and appreciated the relaxing atmosphere and comfortable rooms on offer at the Hotel, especially after a busy day.

I have also passed on your feedback to the Restaurant regarding your wonderful breakfast experience.

Once again, thanks for the great review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Charsfield on your next visit to Melbourne.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Hotel was nice enough with very good tram access to the city. Wouldn't necessarily go back and I wasn't blow away, but that's just my opinion. One thing that wasn't very good was the receptionists recommendation of where to go in the city, we only had a few hours and he told us to go to some part of the city saying it was good for shopping and lunch. Needless to say it was not the part of Melbourne any tourist would ever want to say.
Overal the them was nice and old fashioned in a big modern city.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Charsfield478, Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Curtisannabelle

Thank you for your recent review.
I am delighted that you enjoyed the Hotel and its distinct charm and found the Hotels location central to the City.
As you are probably aware, Melbourne has many different attractions, shopping and restaurant precints. I am sorry that you did not find the Receptionists recommendations helpful, as we would normally recommend to guests on a short timeframe to visit central places within the City that cater to a wide audience.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hotel Charsfield when you next return to Melbourne.

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

This is the first time I have ever been let down by trip advisor. I expected this hotel to be excellent as the reviews suggest. In some ways it was - clean, comfortable rooms in a good location with easy tram access to the city.
However, the reason we were there was to sleep. And this is not easy in room 110. Laying in bed at night all we could hear was loud crashing and banging. It sounded like doors slamming and furniture being rearranged. The first night this stopped about 11.30pm and then woke us up when it started again at 6am. The second night, tired and frustrated, we called reception at 11pm to inquire about the noise. They said they would look into it, but it continued. We called back and they said it was probably the kitchen, which was near our room. They said the kitchen staff would be going home soon, but we could move rooms if we wanted to. A nice gesture, but pointless at that stage. No apology or mention of it was made when we checked out the next day.
With so many places to eat in melbourne the hotel doesn't need a kitchen. I would rather stay in a hotel without a kitchen than a hotel with a noisy kitchen that keeps people awake at night - the purpose of a hotel is for sleeping and we didn't do much of that at hotel charsfield.
Not impressed.

• Stayed February 2014
Charsfield478, Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Mel_2222222

Thank you for reviewing Hotel Charsfield. I am pleased that you found the Hotel clean, comfortable and ideally located.

However, I am disappointed to read of your experience with noise issues at night. This is certainly not our usual high standard and we have since taken measures to ensure our staff and Hotel operations do not in any way our affect our guests ability to have a great nights sleep.

Should you return to Melbourne in the near future and choose to stay at Hotel Charsfield again, please contact myself directly to look after your reservation and accommodation needs.

Thanks again for your review.

Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed three nights. Small room but nicely appointed. Can open the window and let the breeze in - just lovely! Need to be able-bodied, though, as there is no lift in the part I stayed in. No designated porter either but rather you had to wait until the person on reception was free. Breakfast was good. Location very good. Service was excellence. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Juno 137

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Charsfield and found the location and service excellent. It is also pleasing that you found the room comfortable and well appointed. Hotel Charsfield has several different room types available that vary in size, design and decor. We would be only to happy to assist you with future bookings to ensure the room booked caters for your needs and requirements.

Thanks again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Melbourne.

Property Manager

Been to Hotel Charsfield? Share your experiences!