“Friendly cosy hotel with old fashioned service” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Charsfield
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   478 St. Kilda Rd, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia   |
Ranked #32 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Newton Ferrers, United Kingdom
“Friendly cosy hotel with old fashioned service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Nice old hotel, good food but most of all, marvellous staff. Friendly, courteous, efficient and ever helpful.
Control of the room temperature was not possible and we were never able to achieve the desired temperature.
Location was very nice and convenient with a lovely outdoor seating area, ideal for watching the world go by.
Maintains a colonial atmosphere without being stuffy.
We would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Charsfield478, Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Mike R,

Thank you for your lovely 4 star review, and kind comments regarding the fantastic service you received from our amazing team of staff. I will be sure to share your comments with all staff at the hotel.

I am delighted to read you found peace at the hotel, and also an opportunity to sit back and relax in our garden and watch the world go by.

I am sorry to hear you had some trouble with your in-room heating and cooling. If you had notified our staff then absolutely we would have been able to provide you with some assistance with selecting your ideal temperature. All our hotel rooms have individually controlled reverse cycle units, and most also have an additional wall mounted heater as well. Please do not hesite to contact our staff at any point during your stay if we are able to assist in any way to make your stay more enjoyable.

Thank you for your feedback, and we do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Assistant Property Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Harpenden, Hertfordshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

The Charsfield is a very dated hotel which is in desperate need of a facelift. I stayed in the room right at the back of the hotel in the "newer" area, which was a dull annex area. My room consisted of a room with a double bed and a separate living room. All areas were decorated in a drab outdated style. At breakfast, I was served an avocado that was off. Staff were lovely and that is the hotel's saving grace.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Charsfield478, Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Nkasi,

Thank you taking time to review Hotel Charsfield, and your kind comments regarding the friendliness and professionalism of our hotel staff.

The Hotel Charsfield is indeed an old hotel – in fact we have heritage listing. The Hotel Charsfield is a beautiful heritage listed boutique hotel built in the Italianate style and is over 100 years old. We have totally refurbished the building keeping the style and the period in mind.

The room you booked was a junior suite – if you would like a larger more opulent room we have these available, please look at our Premier, Premier Spa and Executive Suites room types as these might be more suitable for your requirements.
I have also shared your comments with our food and beverage director regarding your breakfast experience. I sincerely apologise that you were disappointed with your breakfast, I hope that you mentioned this to the staff at the time? If so I am sure you would have been offered an alternative as we are very vigilant with the quality and freshness of our meals served at the hotel.

I do hope you return to the hotel in the future, to provide us with an opportunity to display the excellent and quality in service we provide at Hotel Charsfield.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I spent 6 nights in Melbourne for the first leg of our honeymoon. The hotel is located in the quiet outskirts of the city, and is a 5min tram ride from the city. The hotel staff were extremely helpful, providing us with information on nearby open cafes (which weren't many as we arrived on a Saturday). They also conveniently sold MyKi cards at the reception for easy tram travel. Special mention to Louise who accepted our payment of the MyKi cards entirely in coins without so much as a flitch, and even returned us $2 the next day when she discovered we had overpaid (coin dropped on the floor). My wife and I are won over by the hotel's beautiful victorian design (complete with a reading room and a snooker table), and the integrity of the hotel staff. If you are looking for a getaway that balances the buzz of the city with a quiet retreat as and when you desire it, Hotel Charsfield is the place!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Daniel T,

Thank you for your fantastic 5 star review. I am delighted both you, and your lovely new wife thoroughly enjoyed your time spent with us at Hotel Charsfield.

It is wonderful to read that our staff were most helpful to you, so thank you for acknowleding our fantastic team and the extra length they go to make our guests stay most enjoyable. I will be delighted to share your comments with our staff, especially Louise who you mention in your review.

I hope you made some fantastic memories on your trip to Melbourne for your honeymoon.

We look forward tp welcoming you back in the future.

Hervey Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I've just returned from a 10 day stay in Melbourne that I enjoyed thoroughly, mostly due to my stay at the Charsfield. I LOVE this place, from the gorgeous outside gardens and veranda to the charming old library and sports room where we played a game of pool, to the convenience of having the necessities in the gym ( to help keep up the fitness and to compensate the calorie intake from the wonderful Melbourne restaurants), to the lovely bar where I grabbed a morning coffee from Maria and the other lovely staff at the restaurant. The staff made my stay a pleasant one, with Louise and Kenny being so helpful and approachable. The only negative I could come up with is due to a few inconsiderate guests who slammed doors and raised voices way into the early hours but that has nothing to do with the hotel staff. They can't be held responsible for the thoughtlessness of other hotel guests. I had room service for a couple of nights meals and I wasn't impressed with the food at all, but there are other options available given that it is so close to everything by tram or foot ( for the energetic). The breakfast was fine at the hotel, but the meals I had at night were not what I expected. I'm not sure if the restaurant offer other meals of a night than what was on the menu, but the meals I selected were not very nice. Regardless, I know I will be staying at the Charsfield from now on when I travel to Melbourne. The ladies who clean the rooms are lovely too! and they do such a good job. I love the linen and the finishing touches. The place may be old, but it's not run down and it is always so clean. There are so many little things when added together will make your stay at this hotel, a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Debbie B,

Thank you for your delightful review, photo contributions and special mentions to our fantastic team of staff!

We are so pleased you thoroughly enjoyed your time at Hotel Charsfield and that the hotel and facilities were all well suited to your needs.

I do apologise that you experience some disruption from our other hotel guests overnight. Please do notify the night manager as we would have been able to appoach our guests and ask them to be considerate of others.

I am dissapointed to read that your meals were not to your liking. I will share your evening dining experiences with our Food & Beverage so that she is aware, and some further investigation can be made into why. Thank you for raising this with us.

It was an absolute pleasure having you stay with us and we do look forward to welcoming you back on your next travels to Melbourne.

gippsland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Having stayed here numorous times before, I had no hesitation in choosing the Charsfield for my recent 3 night stay in Melbourne. With its very central location on StKilda Rd,easy access to cbd,Pahran, StKilda ,Albert park etc. Tram stops directly outside,only a 2 minute walk away. The building,itself, is directly out of the 1800`s, and brings with it so much character and charm, the staff here are a wonderful collection of people who always go out of thier way to make your stay as trouble free as possible and always have a smile for you.The rooms here are warm and inviting.. comfortable beds,sparkling clean bathrooms, good lighting, heating & cooling to suit your personal choice. There is a fantastic billiard room incorporating a full size table for guests to use ,as well a guests library/reading room which provides a PC ,free of charge.The rooms recieve relatively little to no traffic noise,which is much appreciated at night. The meals in the restraunt are always a treat and when ive had breakfasts here they`ve been more than adequate. Hotel Charsfield gets my thumbs up, I highly recommend it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear gippslandrockdog,

Thank you for your delightful review. It is always an absolute pleasure having you return to the hotel!

Thank you for your special mentions and acknowledgement of our fantastic team of staff, and the extra mile we love to go to ensure our guest's stay are beyond their expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back time and time again. Thank you for your continued support of Hotel Charsfield.

Queenslander
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a couple of nights whilst visiting Melbourne to attend the LFC game. The apartment was very spacious and we loved history of the building, the billiard room and sitting room which have been restored to give a very traditional english atmosphere. It was so pleasant to walk through the gate and garden on to the verandah entrance as if it was your own home.

Room Tip: We had the apartment at the back of the hotel and if you have children you will enjoy this spacious...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Aussiegal24,

Thank you for taking time to post your lovely review.

I am so pleased to read you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us at Hotel Charsfield and that our 2 bedroom apartment was well suited to your needs.

It's lovely to read you enjoyed the overall atmosphere of the hotel and gardens.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed here for a week. A very nice hotel, clean and quiet, good size bedroom and shower room. No view from my window (it's surrounded by large office blocks nowadays) but still light and airy. Some very good staff who were happy to help with anything you asked. Nice location - easy walk or tram into the City centre (you can buy a pre-paid tram travel card at reception) - if you're walking there's a nice route straight over the road into the park and then head into the City through the parks/botanical gardens, takes about 30-45 minutes walking but a nice walk to do. The only thing I thought could improve was the iron power lead was too short so i had to rearrange the furniture to reach the power socket to do some ironing, and frankly if that's the worst thing about my stay that says a lot! :) If you stay here and don't fancy eating in the hotel restaurant then try the Hunters Cafe just a block up the road for a fantastic breakfast, and the Rosco's At Chevron restaurant just down the road a little way for dinner. Both superb.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Charsfield478, Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear centralnights,

Thank you for your lovely 5 star review.

I am delighted your to read you had a fantastic stay with us and found our staff to be most friendly and certainly able to assist with any need you had during your stay.

Thank you for advising us about the iron in your room. I have discussed this with housekeeping and a better suited iron has been in the room you stayed in.

I hope you had a safe and pleasant trip back home to the UK. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next trip to Melbourne.

Genevieve