“Nice night away” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Nice night away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I booked the Hotel Charsfield as part of a present for my husband's 30th birthday. I had booked for a deluxe room as we were only going to be staying for one night. We were pleasantly surprised to be complimentary upgraded to the Junior Suite. It had everything we needed for the night, comfy bed, a little lounge in the room to kill time before we headed out for dinner. Unfortunately we didn't get to try out breakfast but maybe next time. I would be happy to stay another night in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Charsfield478, Front Office Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear melyz86,

Thank you for your lovely 4 star review.

Its great to see you have a great overnight stay for your husbands birthday and that the complimentary upgrade we were able to provide you with was welcomed and appreciated.

Hopefully next time you will have some time to explore the rest of the hotel and enjoy a meal in The Charsfield Restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Genevieve

322 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Hubby and I stayed one night at the Charsfield in a delux room.
Great service, lovely accomodation, close to everything Melbourne and the billboards room was fantastic.
Only complaint was the breakfast staff were exceptionally rude but after such a lovely night we let that go.
Would definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2013
Charsfield478, Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Ilana83,

Thank you for your perfect 5star contribution on trip advisor. Fantastic to see read yourself and your husband had a wonderful stay with us recently and that you had time to relax and play a game of snooker on our full sized snooker table.

I apologise that you found a member of our staff to be rude, i will discuss this with our food and beverage director.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Melboure.

Paradise Point
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

I booked a deal in the lowest level room with a 5 night stay, and was consequently punished with a teeny tiny room (I had rung to find out if the basic and standard rooms were the same size and told yes...). Not to worry as my intention was to just sleep and then relax in Melbourne after 2 years without a week off due to work commitments. The first day I was awoken by what I thought was someone plastering in my room - the room next door was being renovated... First morning of rest gone. I rang reception and asked to be moved to another room after confirming that the renovating would be going on 3 out of 5 days of my stay. I stated that I would come down later after some more R&R. I then went back to my morning. 3 hours later the male staff member rang me to advise me that I needed to get out of my room immediately so that housekeeping could clean it for a new guest. I jumped into the shower, only to be called again by reception 2 minutes later (I ignored the call). Another 2 minutes later he rang and demanded that I exit the room for housekeeping... When I went to reception 8 minutes later and asked why he not told me during my first call to them that I needed to get out of the room that morning, he did not answer, but rather asked "what do you want?". Shocked, I said "an apology" to which he answered "not gonna happen"... Eventually a female staff member intervened and the day moved on. I wrote to the manager to complain about process and service, but have never received a response... Although the hotel is lovely, the basic rooms are tiny, the service is atrocious and unprofessional, and this is a very, very poor cousin to The Windsor - stay there instead!

Room Tip: check if renovations being done in rooms nearby
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Charsfield478, Front Office Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear us2cameos,

Thank you for taking time to post your review on trip advisor.

I would firstly like to apologise that you were disturbed by our maintenance department on the first morning of your stay in the room next door to you. At 10.30am we had arranged for a wall to be painted in the adjoining room and we did not anticipate that this task would have been noisy or a disturbance. We take great pride in the fact that we have a high standard of maintenance and housekeeping. In a situation where some maintenance does need to be carried out we always ensure this is within suitable business hours when most of the guests would have vacated their rooms.

When you mentioned that you were being disturbed we immediately offered to change your room and included a complimentary upgrade. We explained that we were fully booked that evening and that we would need you to move rooms immediately as our housekeeping team needed to clean the room for the new arriving guest. I believe there has been some misunderstanding as it seems you may have been unaware of this being explained.

Your stay with us has been used as a training tool, and the general manager of whom was overseas at the time of your stay has replied to your email. We have apologised both in person and in writing and now on trip advisor. It was with our pleasure to provide you with a complimentary upgrade and free car parking for the duration of your stay.

Kind Regards,

Assitant Property Manager
Noosa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Ideal for anyone who wants a bit of 'yesteryear' with high ceilings, decorations and old world layout but fitted with modern amenities.
Playing snooker on the 3/4 table is a great way to pass the time.
The restaurant has a lovely relaxed feel with a good selection of wines.
Just a short time by tram into the city or easy walking distance across Fawkner Park to Toorak st.
Only complaint was the lack of instant hot water for a shower on a cold Melbourne morning. Waiting 5 minutes for the water to heat up is not good enough.
Have recommend this to friends.

Room Tip: We had a Deluxe room on the ground floor which was ideal.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Charsfield478, Front Office Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear MickR,

Thank you for your lovely 4 star review. I am pleased to read you thoroughly enjoyed your time at Hotel Charsfield and have already recommended us to your friends and family.

I am glad you had time to relax and take advantage of our full sized snooker table.

Thank you for notifying us that you experienced a delay in receiving hot water to your room. We have recently had our mixers checked by our plumber and they are all in perfect working order but i will advise our maintenance team of the inconsistencies you experienced.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your future travels to Melbourne.

Wodonga, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed one night at the charsfield - it was lovely. The atmosphere and well preserved charm of the building were lovely and the place was very clean. It is in a nice spot - not far from everything, but in a quiet spot, and near the war memorial and park with great walks. The staff were helpful and friendly. The breakfast was lovely, although we were overcharged.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Charsfield478, Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear KJKtrip,

Thank you for your 4 star review and lovely photo contributions.

I am pleased you loved the hotel as much as we do and admired the hotels restoration and preservation. As you know, we are a heritage listed property.

Lovely to hear the hotel was in a suitable location to your needs and you were able to get out and enjoy the gardens and local attractions in our immediate vicinity.

Looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Melbourne.

Lafayette, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was rightfully upset to find I'd signed up to pay over $200 for a standard room on a Saturday night, to find myself placed in room 403 - an 11x12 room that barely fit a double bed and overlooked a parking lot - especially since I'd booked the room over a month in advance, and specified I'd wanted a second floor room, preferably with a balcony. The hotel claimed only the premium rooms were the rooms in the historic portion of the hotel and that I'd have to pay more - but none were available that night. Did the hotel email me anytime in the previous month to ask me if I'd like to upgrade? No. My welcome to Australia for the first time was "Surprise!" - and not in a pleasant way. As for the on-site gym: 4 pieces of equipment - a treadmill that actually was dangerous to use, two bicycles that didn't work (no plug on one), and a stairmaster I didn't try, all in a barely heated room outside the main building. I complained to several staffers, and eventually got both a partial room credit and cancellation without charge for the second night I'd prebooked. When we were having trouble with a driver that didn't arrive, the hotel staff was gracious enough to safely store our bags and let us use the computer in their beautiful reading room at no charge. Though we were very unhappy with our room, I have to say it was clean, the bathroom was nicely appointed, and the room was quiet - though there was tangled hair left in the center of the shower drain that housekeeping had missed. But what upset me most was that I really wanted to like the Hotel Charsfield. It is in a beautiful historic building, and its common rooms (reading room, restaurant, pool/snooker room) are gorgeous. It's a good 45 minute walk into downtown/Federation Square area, and the tram is only a block away. Full cooked breakfast costs $22.50 per person, which was sticker shock for us Americans but apparently common in both Australia and Tasmania. My advice to travellers stayed at this hotel is to find out your room number before booking: the 400 series is the back of the hotel, facing the parking lot, and in a modern add-on. A small room such as what we had would have been fine if priced at $99 on a Saturday night. It may have been luck of the draw, but we found the day staff a bit more accommodating and friendly than the perfunctory night staff. Had we not been placed in what we felt was probably their worst room as our thank you for booking a month in advance, I might have had a very favorable experience. I am not sure I'd give the Hotel Charsfield a second try.

Room Tip: The 400 series of rooms are perfect for someone who is blind!
Dear David M,

Thank you for your detailed Trip Advisor contribution. I sincerely apologise that you had a negative experience with us at the hotel, but found our staff to be helpful at the times you required assistance.

I would like to advise you, and future travellers alike, that the hotel is a heritage listed property and was not built as a purpose hotel. This does mean that no two rooms are alike and each room does have its quirks. Room 403 is one of our standard rooms which are all quite a petite room type. We do recommend our Deluxe Room to travellers who do contact the hotel in advance, to suggest this for this reason. I would also like to take this opportunity to advise that the hotel is actually located along St Kilda road which is primarily a business district. This means that the hotel is situated between two large office blocks which has resulted in most of our room types unfortunately not having a fantastic view unless you book one of our heritage style rooms at th front of the hotel which do come with an upgrade fee.

Our room rates here at the hotel are reflected on how busy melbourne is, so our day rate can go up and down depending on availability at the time. Our rooms are also allocated on the day of arrival. I believe on the Saturday night of your stay with us that the hotel was fully booked and unfortunately we were unable to upgrade you to a larger room type. We can absolutely take requests for rooms and we will do our best in every circumstance to allocate an appropriate room based on those requests, however all requests are not guaranteed until the day of your arrival.

I would also like to thank you bringing to our attention the on-site gym equipment. I have since placed our gym out of order until these issues are rectified. I was not aware of these issues, and we do take our duty of care to our hotel guests very seriously.

Breakfast at the hotel is $17.50 for continental and Full English Breakfast (which includes an order for cooked breakfast) is $22.50 per person. These prices are competitive in the Australian hotel market.

I do hope you give us another opportunity in the future to prove that our hotel is a supurb example of Melbourne's boutique hotels. Please contact me personally for a future reservation.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Really happy with our stay here. Location was great for all the things we wanted to see and do and handy to tram. Rooms clean and comfortable and staff very friendly and helpful. The dining room is beautiful and we had a lovely breakfast here.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LondonWilbur,

Thank you for your lovely 5 star review! I am so pleased you had a fantastic stay with us recently and found the hotel perfect to your needs.

We will be delighted to welcome you back in the future.

Genevieve
Assistant Property Manager

Been to Hotel Charsfield? Share your experiences!