“Charming hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Wodonga, Victoria, Australia
“Charming hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed one night at the charsfield - it was lovely. The atmosphere and well preserved charm of the building were lovely and the place was very clean. It is in a nice spot - not far from everything, but in a quiet spot, and near the war memorial and park with great walks. The staff were helpful and friendly. The breakfast was lovely, although we were overcharged.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Charsfield478, Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear KJKtrip,

Thank you for your 4 star review and lovely photo contributions.

I am pleased you loved the hotel as much as we do and admired the hotels restoration and preservation. As you know, we are a heritage listed property.

Lovely to hear the hotel was in a suitable location to your needs and you were able to get out and enjoy the gardens and local attractions in our immediate vicinity.

Looking forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Melbourne.

Genevieve Butler

322 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Lafayette, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was rightfully upset to find I'd signed up to pay over $200 for a standard room on a Saturday night, to find myself placed in room 403 - an 11x12 room that barely fit a double bed and overlooked a parking lot - especially since I'd booked the room over a month in advance, and specified I'd wanted a second floor room, preferably with a balcony. The hotel claimed only the premium rooms were the rooms in the historic portion of the hotel and that I'd have to pay more - but none were available that night. Did the hotel email me anytime in the previous month to ask me if I'd like to upgrade? No. My welcome to Australia for the first time was "Surprise!" - and not in a pleasant way. As for the on-site gym: 4 pieces of equipment - a treadmill that actually was dangerous to use, two bicycles that didn't work (no plug on one), and a stairmaster I didn't try, all in a barely heated room outside the main building. I complained to several staffers, and eventually got both a partial room credit and cancellation without charge for the second night I'd prebooked. When we were having trouble with a driver that didn't arrive, the hotel staff was gracious enough to safely store our bags and let us use the computer in their beautiful reading room at no charge. Though we were very unhappy with our room, I have to say it was clean, the bathroom was nicely appointed, and the room was quiet - though there was tangled hair left in the center of the shower drain that housekeeping had missed. But what upset me most was that I really wanted to like the Hotel Charsfield. It is in a beautiful historic building, and its common rooms (reading room, restaurant, pool/snooker room) are gorgeous. It's a good 45 minute walk into downtown/Federation Square area, and the tram is only a block away. Full cooked breakfast costs $22.50 per person, which was sticker shock for us Americans but apparently common in both Australia and Tasmania. My advice to travellers stayed at this hotel is to find out your room number before booking: the 400 series is the back of the hotel, facing the parking lot, and in a modern add-on. A small room such as what we had would have been fine if priced at $99 on a Saturday night. It may have been luck of the draw, but we found the day staff a bit more accommodating and friendly than the perfunctory night staff. Had we not been placed in what we felt was probably their worst room as our thank you for booking a month in advance, I might have had a very favorable experience. I am not sure I'd give the Hotel Charsfield a second try.

Room Tip: The 400 series of rooms are perfect for someone who is blind!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear David M,

Thank you for your detailed Trip Advisor contribution. I sincerely apologise that you had a negative experience with us at the hotel, but found our staff to be helpful at the times you required assistance.

I would like to advise you, and future travellers alike, that the hotel is a heritage listed property and was not built as a purpose hotel. This does mean that no two rooms are alike and each room does have its quirks. Room 403 is one of our standard rooms which are all quite a petite room type. We do recommend our Deluxe Room to travellers who do contact the hotel in advance, to suggest this for this reason. I would also like to take this opportunity to advise that the hotel is actually located along St Kilda road which is primarily a business district. This means that the hotel is situated between two large office blocks which has resulted in most of our room types unfortunately not having a fantastic view unless you book one of our heritage style rooms at th front of the hotel which do come with an upgrade fee.

Our room rates here at the hotel are reflected on how busy melbourne is, so our day rate can go up and down depending on availability at the time. Our rooms are also allocated on the day of arrival. I believe on the Saturday night of your stay with us that the hotel was fully booked and unfortunately we were unable to upgrade you to a larger room type. We can absolutely take requests for rooms and we will do our best in every circumstance to allocate an appropriate room based on those requests, however all requests are not guaranteed until the day of your arrival.

I would also like to thank you bringing to our attention the on-site gym equipment. I have since placed our gym out of order until these issues are rectified. I was not aware of these issues, and we do take our duty of care to our hotel guests very seriously.

Breakfast at the hotel is $17.50 for continental and Full English Breakfast (which includes an order for cooked breakfast) is $22.50 per person. These prices are competitive in the Australian hotel market.

I do hope you give us another opportunity in the future to prove that our hotel is a supurb example of Melbourne's boutique hotels. Please contact me personally for a future reservation.

Genevieve Butler
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Really happy with our stay here. Location was great for all the things we wanted to see and do and handy to tram. Rooms clean and comfortable and staff very friendly and helpful. The dining room is beautiful and we had a lovely breakfast here.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LondonWilbur,

Thank you for your lovely 5 star review! I am so pleased you had a fantastic stay with us recently and found the hotel perfect to your needs.

We will be delighted to welcome you back in the future.

Dee Why, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Reasonable location at approximately 8-10 minutes by tram to the city centre. We had a three night stay for leisure and it became somewhat tiresome travelling to and from city. Beautiful period building and comfy room. However, the bathroom configuration was strangely narrow with the possibility of placing forehead easily on facing wall whilst seated on the toilet. Service from reception was mixed. When we asked for help to take up luggage and told we could do it ourselves as there were only a few stairs which translated to one and half flights. Another person from reception came to the rescue and carried our luggage to our room. Some strange offerings on the menu such as a bowl of peas in turmeric, fried cauliflower or cauliflower and mushroom soup. Not at all a Fawlty Towers experience, but pleasant and reasonable overall.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Charsfield478, Front Office Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Lifestyle_13,

Thank you for your kind review on tripadvisor. I am delighted that you had a great stay with us recently and found the hotel to be most suitable for your 3 nights stay.

As you may be aware we are a heritage listed building and this means that no two rooms are of the same layout. We are now limited by the changes that we can make in the building and we do get the odd comment come back from hotel guest that our standard and deluxe bathrooms are on the narrow side. Perhaps on your next stay you might like to consider one of our heritage style premier rooms as they do offer larger marble bathrooms which might be better suited for you for a longer stay.

Thank you for bringing to my attention the service that you received on check in. I am glad that another staff came to your rescue and did assist you with your bags up to your room. Please rest assured that this is not our usual level of service and that I will further discuss this with the front office team. We are always happy to assist guest with luggage on check in and check out, please do not hesitate to ask for assistance at any time during your stay.

I will also forward your feedback in regards to the restaurant menu offering. We do offer a seasonal menu which is due to change soon.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your future travels to Melbourne.

Kind Regards,

Kenny Phuah
Front Office Supervisor
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

What a cool place to stay! An old estate turned into a hotel! Although they really limited the wifi usage (something like 20MB a day) they made up for it with a free to use snooker table. The rooms were small but tidy and they even gave us a free bottle of champagne for our honeymoon. It was a bit of a hike to the city but the tram is right outside if you don't want to walk.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Vashka0310,

Thank you for your lovely five star review. I am really please that you had a great stay and appreciate the complimentary bottle of sparking wine for your honeymoon.

We are delighted to offer all hotel guest free 100MB wifi per day as u may have experience most hotel in Australia do incur a daily fee. If guest would like to increase their MB per day they can for a small fee by contacting reception. In addition we also offer unlimited internet access in our reading room which is available 24 hours a day.

The hotel is located along St Kilda Road which is Melbourne's leafy boulevard, which is a proximately 7 minutes by tram to the city centre. We are fortunate to have a tram stop right outside the hotel and trams come past the hotel every 2-3 minutes.

I hope you have a fantastic honeymoon in Australia and look forward to welcoming back on your next trip in Melbourne.

Kind Regards,

Kenny Phuah
Front Office Supervisor
Corryong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Having stayed at five star hotels in the CBD, I then found this hotel. It is great value for money , clean, friendly, quiet and very comfortable. The management have been faithful to the age of the building, keeping it in excellent condition. It is not hard to close your eyes and imagination you hear the swish of long dresses and the carriage pulling up out the front.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Charsfield478, Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Kim W,

Thank you for your lovely review on Trip Advisor and kind comments on the restoration and condition of our beautiful heritage listed property.

I am so pleased you had a thoroughly enjoyable time at the hotel recently and found your imagination and mind wandering. We are certainly very lucky to operate our hotel from such a beautiful building and we are very proud of Charsfield today.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Was very surprised at how quiet this hotel was being on such a busy road. Did not hear a car or tram for the entire night and also was very surprised that you can't really hear the other guests coming and going considering there are floorboards throughout. This is a lovely old hotel, rooms and bathrooms are small but that is the make up of the hotel. Nice friendly staff and the tram stop just out the front. Parking was good out on St. Kilda Rd. Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Neita M,

Thank you for taking time to post your lovely review on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to see that you had a wonderful time at the hotel on your recent stay, and that you will be back in the future.

I am glad you found our hotel to be both quiet and peaceful, as you know we are actually just set back off St Kilda Road so we are fortunate that we do not experience much noise from the street.

I am also glad you found parking nice and easy. As you may have experienced, we do offer secure offsite parking for $22.00 per 24 hours, however on the weekends you are able to park along St Kilda Road for free as an alternative.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Assistant Property Manager

Been to Hotel Charsfield? Share your experiences!