“A charming boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #27 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane
“A charming boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Charsfield for a week for business and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I would definitely recommend for other travellers, be it for work or pleasure.

Pros:
- Beautiful room (Deluxe room) and
building in general
- Although a 'studio room', very spacious
- Comfortable bed
- Immaculately clean and well appointed
- Close to tram stops
- Excellent room service meals
- Friendly, helpful staff

Cons:
- I needed to print a document last minute and the guest computer did not have Microsoft Office software or anything compatible. I did end up saving (on my own computer) as a PDF and finding a program that would open and print it, but it was not particularly efficient.

Other points:
- My room was on the southern side of the establishment and had no road noise; however, the floor boards in the hallway creaked when people walked down the hall (understandable considering the age of the building)
- Despite other reviewers comments, I found the bathroom of an adequate size

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Charsfield478, Front Office Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear AussieGal555,

Thank you for your 5 star review on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to read you had a wonderful stay and that you found our staff most friendly and helpful, in addition to our rooms being suited to your needs.

I am sorry to hear you had some trouble printing your document. We are always happy to assist guests and we would have been able to print this for you from reception to save you time and trouble. I will pass your comment onto management and see if we can rectify this problem for future guests.

321 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
St. Paul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I picked this for the location, just outside of Melbourne CBD, but right on a tram line and easy to get anywhere. It fulfilled all of my expectations, and then some. St. Kilda road is very busy, but the hotel was quiet. The room was elegant and comfortable. It's obvious that it is an older building, but it has been remodeled without losing its charm. Staff is friendly and very helpful. One gripe -- you must step up to get into the room's bathroom, which has been made more hazardous by the seemingly unnecessarily high threshold on top of the step. There is free wifi available in the rooms, although it has a daily download limit. There is an internet-connected desktop computer in the library which is free to use, and the library is open 24 hours. My husband and I would often take a glass of wine out to the front veranda or patio and watch the world go by. It has coin-op laundry, a great find after a week of traveling around Australia.

One item that's probably overlooked is the restaurant in the hotel. We skipped the expensive breakfast ($18 buffet) and ate out of our refrigerator each morning. But we ate our evening meal in the restaurant twice, and both times were the best meals we had in our entire two-week Australian trip. Excellent food, and fantastic service.

Overall, we were completely charmed. I would definitely return here!!!

Dear Smilingiver,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

We are so pleased you found your time at Hotel Charsfield most enjoyable and that all your expectations were pleasantly fulfilled.

Certainly we are in an excellect location, just outside the hustle and bustle of the city centre.

All hotel guests are offered 100MB complimentary WIFI internet access, and can pay afterwards if they wish to top up. As you have pointed out, we also do welcome guests to use our computer in the readinfg room which does offer unlimited internet connection 24 hours a day.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our restaurant. I am pleased your dining experience was wonderful, meals were thoroughly enjoyed and I will be sure to share your review with all staff and management.

I hope both your husband and yourself had a safe and pleasant journey home.

New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Beautiful spacious room, large comfy bed, very clean, nicely furnished and a very large balcony.

Location was great for our purposes. Within walking distance of city or St Kilda ... at a good stretch ... and when too hot to walk plenty of trams going both ways.

Lovely terrace out the front , great for watching the world go by when relaxing with a good wine.

The staff were very helpful and pleasant.

Room Tip: Room 101 - spacious, with very large balcony.
Dear Tattytoo,

Thank you for taking time to review Hotel Charsfield.

I am pleased the hotel was suited to your needs and that you thoroughly enjoyed your time spent at the hotel.

Great tip on room 101- Our Premier Spa room is beautiful and used to to be main room of the house back when the building was a private residence.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just spent a lovely week end at Hotel Charsfield. Very friendly and helpful staff. Comfy, clean room. Very quiet., considering it is on busy St Kilda road. Close enough to walk into the city.
Will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Charsfield478, Front Office Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Colleen57_12,

Thank you for your recent review of Hotel Charsfield.

I am very pleased you had a great stay with us over the weekend and found our staff to be both kind and helpful.

We look forward to having you back on your next stay in Melbourne CBD.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

This is a wonderful hotel.
BOOKING. Booking was handled well through their website (via third party site The Booking Button). I wanted a room for 3 adults and the hotel took the effort to personally respond to my email requesting this (thanks, Jason).
LOCATION. Charsfield is about 35 minute walk to the main CBD, straight up St Kilda Rd. It is well served by tram routes. The hotel itself is an amazing old Victorian building, surviving between modern office blocks and shiny sky scrapers. The feeling of an antique oasis continues throughout the hotel, from the manicured lawn to the plush interior.
ROOMS. We had a large, spacious room for 3. The beds were comfortable, and there was a nice seating area also. The bathroom was clearly a design after thought (as it would have to be, in such an old building), and was the shape of a corridor - it was somewhat comical to be able to sit on the toilet and lean your head on the opposite wall!
The in-room amenities include iron, hair dryer, fridge (with mini bar) and of course a TV. The tray of snacks (paid for) included such interesting delights as hosiery and *cough* 'adult' accessories. A good idea, actually.
AMENITIES. There is a great old fashioned reading room with newspapers and free Internet downstairs, as well as a billiard room.
WIFI. Each guest has a personal wifi code that gives them 100mb per day, per device of wifi. There is a clear count down to show you how much you are using. My Dad did a fair amount of work using his smartphone and laptop, and we didn't go over the free allowance. During the day (until around 21.00), the restaurant next door beams out free wifi by inlink, which we used to supplement our charsfield allowance!
FOOD. We didn't eat at the restaurant, as we felt we could eat more cheaply and more to our taste elsewhere. The restaurant caters for all meals, and looked very plush, what glimpses we had of it. There is room service also.
PARKING. The hotel charges $25 per day for parking, which is not on site - it's in a secure car park round the corner. Outside the hotel, the street parking is free and unlimited after 6pm and and weekends. (Otherwise it is limited and is $3.20 per hour). In the city centre there are oodles of 'early bird' offers (designed at businessmen, I assume), where you can park in a central multistorey for as little as $13 all day, as long as you enter before 8.30 and leave after 14.30. We took advantage of this, and ended up paying just $14 for our entire stay in melbourne (thurs-sat). We parked outside the hotel and at Flinders Lane.
OVERALL. Charsfield is fantastic, and I couldn't recommend it enough.
As an after note; I was sent an email after check-out that invited me to review Charsfield 'if I enjoyed my stay', with a Link to their Tripadvisor page. It is good to see establishments utilising Tripadvisor to its fullest, and I would have written this review regardless, but I believe it is important to state when POSITIVE reviews have been invited by the establishment, as it will streamline the review mix. It's a fine line to tread, here on TripAdvisor.
That aside, I will definitely consider visiting again, when next I am in Melbourne. Thanks Charsfield!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Abs140,

Thank you for your informative review on Trip Advisor- it will be sure to assist future guests with multiple aspects of their stay.

I am so pleased you enjoyed yout time at the hotel and certainly will share your comments and gratitude with Jason, as well as staff and management.

I hope that on your next stay you will have an opportunity to dine with us as well.

I would like like to make one small corretion in that car parking is $20 per 24 hours for our secure off-site car park but this is a small matter. As you mention, there is also free parking available in the evenings (mid week) and all weekend along St Kilda Road.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Melbourne.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

The hotel is clean, well placed and has a pleasant ambience. It is a civilised place with civilised guests. The staff are friendly and helpful, the continental breakfast quite enough to start the day. Bathroom was modern and well equipped. Easy access by tram to Chapel Street, St Kilda, the city etc. Parking is easy at nights and on the weekends but on weekdays you might have to use the hotel car park. There are no panoramic views (but neither do many high rise city hotels)or a pool but I would consider it a great, good value spot for a relaxed Melbourne experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Charsfield478, Front Office Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Dear Cabquokka,

Thank you for your kind comments and informative review.

I am so pleased to see you thoroughly enjoyed your time spent at the hotel and found us to be the perfect setting for a relaxed Melbourne getaway.

Fantastic tip about car parking. St Kilda Road in the evenings is free until 8am in the morning on weekdays, and then free on weekends. For future travels, often midweek it is best to opt for secure parking through the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next stay in Melbourne.

Toulouse
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We recently stayed at the Hotel Charsfield and enjoyed a clean and comfortable room located in a nicely refurbished mansion. Breakfast in the dining area was fresh and tasty, but the waitress did not help much: while we told her that one of us was sick and could only eat yoghurt, she did not not allow to buy only one yoghurt, but instead required to pay for a full breakfast. The location on St. Kilda Rd is good, although not in walking distance from downtown and there are few shops/restaurants around.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bocopitu,

Thank you for taking time to review Hote Charsfield.

I am pleased to see you enjoyed your time spent in Melbourne, and at the hotel enjoying our relaxing and homely ambiance.

I am also pleased you found our your room to be quite comfortable, clean and suited to your needs.

I would like to thank you for bringing to our attention your breakfast dining experience. Certainly our management team will discuss this in futher detail.

Front Office Supervisor

Been to Hotel Charsfield? Share your experiences!