“Beautiful building, nice facility with helpful front desk” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Charsfield
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   478 St. Kilda Rd, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia   |
Ranked #28 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
florida
“Beautiful building, nice facility with helpful front desk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Located on St. Kilda Road in front of tram station and convenient to CBD. We took a shuttle to the hotel from the airport and arrived close to noon and fortunately a room was available for us. The room itself was adequate size with a tiny, very narrow (did I say narrow?) bathroom. The furnishings were not the highest but clean with crisp sheets and the hotel seemed to be well worth every dollar spent. The front desk personnel seemed to actually enjoy their job and were cheerful, helpful, intelligent and full of information making our daily planning efficient and enjoyable. The facility itself is very pretty located in an old limestone mansion on a pretty, but very busy, street. We used the laundry facility and the rooms had a great hairdryer and an iron I wish I could have brought home with me. We ended up extending our visit because the value seemed to be outstanding and the staff so friendly. We did not eat there except to grab the apple from the front desk as we ventured out in the morning. We had a car which we were able to park out front over the weekend and move to around the corner on the weekday thus avoiding the high cost of pay to park lots. The hotel was quite full yet we were not bothered by noise (we stayed on the first floor back from the street) and were quite happy to overlook the negatives of tired furnishings due to the strong positives. Give it a try!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

360 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I booked this hotel because I like to stay in large spacious rooms and have windows that open for fresh air. We stayed in a Deluxe Quad room (301). It was very spacious with large bay windows and high ceilings. It was sunny, very clean and the bathroom decor was nice. The beds were very comfortable. Our room was set back from the road, overlooking the garden. It was fairly quiet, just a bit of background traffic noise. The location is nice - a very busy road, but lined with trees, trams very handy and a few cafes nearby. The dining room and buffet breakfast were good, but nothing special. We did however have a couple of issues. We were informed after we arrived that the hotel no longer has a contract with the local gym, so they have provided only a few gym items in a back room. It was also very disturbing to find that someone (perhaps the cleaner) had been smoking like a chimney in our room while we were out one day. That person had also helped themselves to the snack bar. I was very glad that I had locked my suitcase before going out for the day and left my valuables in the safe at reception. The staff responded to these issues but I would have been a much more pleasant stay if I had not had to deal with them at all.
As for Melbourne itself: it is a very busy big city, with lots of sky scrapers like a smaller version of London or New York. Very cosmopolitan. The beaches tend to be rather boring, inner harbour , with very few trees, more like English beaches with piers, pubs and amusement rides. Not a very pretty city.
I much prefer Sydney with more heritage buildings in the circular quay area, and very beautiful harbours and beaches.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012 via mobile

What an absolute gem of a hotel! Beautiful exterior and exquisite interior, you feel like you've gone back in time. So clean, comfortable and very homely. Room was comfortable and decorated tastefully. I had the unfortunate pleasure of sleeping on the sofa bed which was terrible. I also had the pleasure of meeting a little creature who decided to walk up and down my arm and wake me up at 2am, not sure what it was but I flicked it off me and could not sleep the rest of the night. Other than that it truly was a wonderful hotel. The dining room was nice and so was the food. This could be home away from home when in Melbourne. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed April 2012
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a few days at the Charsfield. During our time there the council had extensive work being done on the tram lines directly outside the hotel. Staff were very considerate to us and actually moved us twice to minimise disruption. They also emailed us prior to our visit to alert us to the works and offer a cancellation, something other hotels may not do. Josh and the lady on reception (sorry can't remember her name!) were excellent members of staff.
The house itself is beautiful, clean and unlike any other I could see in Melbourne- from another era but in a very good way. I felt relaxed, comfortable and very happy there and so as a hotel couldn't expect any more. If I return to Melbourne I will certainly stay there again.

Stayed April 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

externally the building was beautiful as were the public rooms but the bedrooms did not live up to the standard. They were very poorly furnished - junk shop stuff. Bathroom clean and functional. The restaurant was not to be recommended - staff could not be bothered to serve us and continually laid up for breakfast.. Food was not acceptable and returned.

Would stay again but only on cheap offer.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Queenstown, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

A very good staff - helpful - but the hotel is old, dated, and pretty awful. St Kilda Road is very busy so heavy traffic occurs from 5am. There is one hour parking in front and a parking station half a block away. The room was like a prison cell and the small, narrow bathroom has no natural light. I was happy to escape. If you are late up and want to sleep in, there is a lot of noise from housekeeping staff, talking in the corridor. Oh and many of the rooms are upstairs but there is no elevator. Some guests seemed to be struggling with heavy cases. Basically you get what you pay for.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

We stayed two nights in January 2012. Warm and helpful reception. Smaller quaint hotel nestled in between larger modern buildings - quite old world and charming. No elevator but we had plenty of help with the luggage. Smaller room but everything we needed and nicely appointed. We loved the location as you could walk or take the tram (tram stop 1 minute walk) into town or other locations in about 10 minutes. Nice location for the Australian Open.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Charsfield478, Manager at Hotel Charsfield, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Dear Laurie15,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us during the Australian Open in January.

We hope to welcome you back again next year for the tennis, if not sooner.

Kind Regards,

Gabrielle Chisholm
Property Manager.

Been to Hotel Charsfield? Share your experiences!