“Excellent Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Parade Inn

You added Parade Inn to your Saves list
Parade Inn
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   539 Royal Parade, Melbourne, Victoria 3052, Australia (Formerly Flag Inn Parkville)   |
Ranked #7 of 30 Melbourne B&B and Inns
Swan Hill, Australia
“Excellent Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We have stayed here many times over last 6 years. Older style motel but very clean & comfortable. Ample parking & staff readily agreeable to us leaving car after booking out while we went into city shopping. Tram stop outside motel. Good breakfast room & ample to eat. No traffic noise. Friendly staff. Ice machine with a good supply, FREE. Will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Swan Hill, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Although the rooms were dated, they were spotless and safe. The staff were extremely obliging and I would have no hesitation in staying there again. The hotel was very convenient as we had a hospital appointment and the location made it convenient for my husband to travel whilst I was hospitalised.

Room Tip: The courtesy extended by staff was exceptional and very much appreciated.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Berrigan, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Positives: after booking a room advertised as having free wifi but being given a room without it, the friendly receptionist moved me to a different room. Also, management called to let me know I'd left my key in the door and I was allowed to use the carpark for an additional half hour while I was at an appointment.

That's where the good ends.

I'd booked a queen room that had the smallest queen bed (that looked suspiciously like a double) I've ever seen. The bed area was so squishy there wasn't room for a bedside table on both sides of the bed. I used a kitchen chair as a bedside table. The mattress was hard, the pillows were so firm I'd liken them to rocks. The bed coverings did not actually fit the bed (bottom sheet not long enough to tuck in), they used the triple sheet system that sees a sheet serve as a blanket cover. The blanket was thin and of very poor quality. What I dislike about the triple sheet system is that it doesn't work for a restless sleeper who ends up wrapped in a presumably unwashed blanket during the night.
The kitchen looked like it hadn't been upgraded since the motel was first built. The bathroom was dirty and so small that it was impossible to get to the shower while the bathroom door was opened. I've been in reasonably old caravan parks with nicer bathrooms.

Not sure how this place got its 3.5 star rating. The cleanliness, quality and facilities in my room(s) weren't of a 3.5 star standard. Do yourself a favour and spend the extra $20 a night on a better motel. Old facilities can still be nice if attention is paid to improving the guest experience in other areas. This motel seems to be cutting costs and basic comfort is not there.

Room Tip: If you want wifi, make sure you ask for a room at the front of the building. If you want a quiet ro...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Traralgon, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I stayed here 2 nights and given the price (cheaper) in comparison to other motels I was pleasantly surprised with the room as it was nicer than I had expected. I was looking for somewhere near the State Netball & Hockey Centre and this was as convenient as I could imagine. I requested Internet access and was put in a room which had this, not all rooms do so you need to ensure you ask for this if you need it. Continental breakfast was included in the price of the room which was basic but convenient as well. A nice no frills budget priced place to stay which suited me perfectly. There was a lot of noise in the early Sat morning due to tram works on Royal Parade but this is not the inn's fault and the second night was quiet and I very near the front of the inn. I will stay here again if attending another event at the SNHC. Parking right outside your door is a plus. Reception were very helpful when asking questions about the local area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

I was very disappointed with our stay here. I had stayed when it was the Ramada Inn and found it to be comfortable and good value. This time round, it had changed hands and looked as though very little maintenance had been done since. The decor was shabby, there was a lack of power points and the ones that were there were very inconveniently located. The weather was very hot at the time of our stay, and the location of the air conditioner meant the cool air didn't circulate well to the bed around the corner of the room. There was only horrible UHT milk n the fridge and cheap and nasty tea bags.

But the thing that really annoyed me was that the website clearly advertised room service breakfast, but this was not available. When I raised this with reception they said room service was only for the spa room (really? Not made clear on the website!), but they would make an exception for me, and give me details later in the day. Well, I never heard any more about it. We gave up and went out for breakfast up the road, which was probably far nicer.

I also found it irritating that they had multiple signs exhorting you to save water, power, towels, etc for the sake of the environment, but absolutely NO facilities for guests to recycle any of their waste (as we have at home). So the effort had to be all the guests' way, it seems, and looks to be more motivated by cost saving on their part.

On the good side, it is in an excellent location, with a tram stop directly outside and a short walk to the interesting Sydney Road, Brunswick area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed here in Jan 2014 - four of us (family) and found it great! Good breakfast included in price, lovely park nearby, trams across the road and city very close. the popular Sydney Road a walk away to great restaurants and bars. Very friendly staff. Would definitely stay again. De Gregorio family, Wellington.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed in December 2013. It was clean, comfortable and the staff were friendly. The price includes a good breakfast. If you cycle, jog or enjoy walking the surrounding large parks, bike tracks and early 19th c. architecture are a feast for the eyes. We asked to borrow a microwave so they upgraded us to a bigger room with a kitchenette for no extra cost. City trams are right out front and the zoo is almost a walk away. A hidden gem. We will defenately stay here next time.

Room Tip: choose a room towards the front as they have better wifi connection. Noise is not an issue.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Parade Inn? Share your experiences!