“Good Budget Motel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Parade Inn

You added Parade Inn to your Saves list
Parade Inn
539 Royal Parade, Melbourne, Victoria 3052, Australia (Formerly Flag Inn Parkville)   |
Ranked #7 of 30 Melbourne B&B and Inns
Wellington, New Zealand
“Good Budget Motel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

A good budget motel close to the CBD. Overall it is clean and tidy. An older motel that has been maintained to a good standard over the years, but it is showing it's age now. However it is clean and tidy for sure. Loads of free parking, a tram stop at the door. Friendly and helpful staff. A free breakfast too which is a real bonus. The ice machine is a handy nice touch too. Beds and pillows a little hard though and the units could do with a microwave, but apart from that, you would be hard pressed to find a better budget motel this close to the CBD with everything else the Parade Inn has to offer you, it is very good value. Would happily stay there again. The units are set back from the road but you can still here the traffic and trams sometimes, so be aware.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Warrnambool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed here when visiting for a weekend training camp at the state hockey centre.

It is a shady and cool motel on Royal Parade with the tram running along out the front.

Whilst it is dated with an old air conditioner and basic kitchen the rest was clean and somehow simple and comfortable. We had ground room 5 which allowed us to park our car right outside the room (bit like a country motel)

We walked up the road about 300m to an irish pub where you get10% off if you show your room key.

Good TV but no paytv channels.

It was good for a basic stay and included breakfast in the rate.

Room Tip: Ask for ground room so you can parkyour car outside the room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Adelaide South Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

the hotel was really convenient for my week long stay in melbourne during the Tennis Open. The tram stop is just outside and staff are really helpful in explaining the new MYKI system which is above their role description I am sure!!! :) The room was perfectly adequate and clean, with a kettle and microwave for our convenience even though the room rate was inclusive of a more than adequate breakfast. As usual I have come to expect a slightly dated, maybe 70's decor and this motel was no different with wood pannelling etc. the only thing missing was a bedside table on both sides of the bed but thats nothing really to moan about :)
breakfast was from 0730 until 0930 with about 8 tables or so - proably not positioned for maximum capacity but ok. breakfast was cereal, bread, fruit and yogurt with the option of a cooked breakfast at very reasonable extra charge - although I didnt feel the need to have anything more, everyone who did really enjoyed it.
We had a balcony room which was nice. hotel was quiet with a great asian restaurant called the green field restaurant heading out towards sydney road in brunswick, definately a great feast. car parking was complimentary and there are two large parks nearby to go for a walk if you have the urge. the zoo is nearby too. will definately stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Swan Hill, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

A motel with easy access to public transport [tram stop at front of motel]. Excellent facilities, dining room for breakfast. Spacious rooms and car parking outside your door. Office staff very friendly and helpful. good recommendations from them to visit attractions and how to get there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

An old but very well kept building. Our room was spacious, clean, had a nice little kitchenette was right next to an ice making machine, which was much appreciated by us and all the other guests, judging by how fast the ice disappeared during our stay there (41 degrees temperature). Continental breakfast was included in the room price with the option of buying a cooked breakfast, which was very reasonably priced. Location wise, you can't go wrong here - within 10 minutes drive to Melbourne CBD and just round the corner of a long row of shops with supermarket, fast food, other food stores, discount stores, etc etc. The staff at reception and in the restaurant were very friendly (which unfortunately, is something you don't often find in the service industry). Only 2 gripes about the accommodation - 1) the extremely old and noisy aircon unit in our room which made a loud grinding sound the entire time it was on & 2) the bottom of the room door needs to be blocked as the gap allows leaves, etc (someone's toothpick) to be blown into the room from outside. Will definitely stay here again, but next time we'll try the upper floor.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

I love the location and how near it was to the city and how convenient it is. The room was well equipped with a kitchenette and linen etc. Very good value for money. The reception was very helpful. The breakfast restaurant people were very nice and friendly. However, one of the thick blankets smelled of cockroaches.

My reason for a 1-star service is this. As I had to check in after hours, the reception gave me instructions over the phone and despite me trying to understand and visualise the place, I couldn't figure out where the rooms were when I arrived as the whole place was dark and I was jet lagged. The reception assured me that if I needed help, the night manager will help by just a phonecall.

I apologised for the unearthly hour call and the night manager kindly told me where to go. Everything was all good until the next day when I went to the reception twice for various reasons. I overheard two different sets of people 'complaining' about my late call and my 'stupidity' to the receptionist without realising I can hear them. How I know it was about me? Because they said my room number out!

If it weren't for those two incidences, I would have given this place a 5 star. So my advice? Come to this place if u want a good cheap central place but if u plan to check in after hours or so happen to have a problem after hours, be aware of unwilling night managers...

• Stayed October 2012
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Great location, comfy beds with an electric blanket, which was needed that Melbourne weekend. The rooms are basic and no mini bar but sufficient. A couple of days later they phoned to let me know I had left my phone charger behind (I hadn't even realized) and they returned it to me free of charge. Thank you.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Parade Inn? Share your experiences!