“flea pit” 1 of 5 stars

228 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #28 of 110 Specialty lodging in Melbourne
“flea pit”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We were looking forward to staying here over Christmas, until we got here! Filthy, broken ceilings, thin walls, basically they have made rooms out of plywood in an office block, I couldn't find the way up to rooftop it was locked and the bathrooms were dirty and like school showers. Checked out quickly, have seen worse, but not much, a refurb and lots of cleaning desperately needed, staff were quite friendly though. Was told by staff that a Christmas dinner and some kind of atmosphere would be made around Xmas but when we checked in was told they weren't going to bother! We were looking forward to this as 2 lone travellers at Xmas.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere!
Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jonathan L, Guest Relations Manager at The Greenhouse Backpacker, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Hi Jetboygaz,
Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. We clean our bathrooms four times a day and just did a big renovation. Can you please e-mail us at greenhouse@friendlygroup.com.au with some more information about your stay so I can look into it for you. Thanks for taking the time to leave a response.

208 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

A large hostel right at the heart of Melbourne's CBD Greenhouse Backpacker could not be better situated for exploring Melbourne and all it has to offer. Near to Federation Square, galleries, the tourist info, the Yarra and the famous Laneways.

The large kitchen is well equipped and well used, with people gathering to cook and eat together. Free breakfast and a free dinner on Tuesdays are an added bonus!

The staff are incredibly helpful with numerous contacts and as well as the free walking tours, movie nights, visits to Queens Market and pub crawls will organise tours to surrounding areas.

Combine his with comfy beds ad clean facilities and its a great place to stay!

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I have stayed a few times here now, starting back in '04, '05, '07 and a few times since then. The staff at the beginning were great hence why I kept going back, however now days they seem to be very dismissive, this especially applies to the night staff. Also even if you make a request for a room with a window (which i did twice prior to arriving & had email confirmation that I was in a room with a window) don't expect to receive it. I can't be in small spaces without a way of looking outwards, however was place in an 8 bed dorm with just that on my last stay. The guy on didn't do anything about it and was very rude when I presented my email correspondence. The rooftop is great as is the kitchen, however the bathrooms are not very well kept. Its also a very expensive hostel, even with its great location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Jonathan L, Guest Relations Manager at The Greenhouse Backpacker, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Hi Ghost of the World,
Sorry to hear you experienced a few issues on your recent stay with us. Can you please contact us at greenhouse@friendlygroup.com.au with a few more details so we can continue looking into his for you. Thank you.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I came here the night I got to Melbourne and the staff was really nice and helpful. The kitchen is great and I love the rooftop garden!
Still it is a pretty expensive price for dorms without ensuite.
The WiFi isn't that fast either so get up very very early if you want to have a good connection!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Adelaide, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately I decided to stay in a 5 birth dorm and when I arrived it was like walking into a brothel their other peoples stuff was strewn all over the floor, and I had to step on dirty clothes just to get to my bed. The locker was broken. Every single time u have came down to get a drink no body has done their dishes so there haven't been any cups and when I went to ask the people at the counter for a cup they just said oh well people are drinking you can just wash their cup and I said ummm no that's their job and yours is to provide cups and they just stared back blankly at me. The place is disgustingly dirty. They offer free breakfast but if you have any dietary needs don't bother with it, they don't even supply light milk. The only good thing about the joint is it's location. Like honestly that's it, the place is a dump, expect nothing more. I can't wait to go home and I'm only 3 nights into my 6 night stay. Unfortunately I had to pay upfront otherwise I'd be checking out and finding something elsewhere. Avoid at all costs!!

• Stayed November 2013
Jonathan L, Public Relations Manager at The Greenhouse Backpacker, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Hi Belzie8,
Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Please understand that as a backpackers we provide shared accommodation and communal kitchen and dining areas and whilst we clean the kitchen and bathrooms four times a day, no backpacker hostel can promise spotless dorms and flawlessly clean kitchens 24 hours a day. Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback and if you have any other questions please feel free to send us an e-mail.
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Arrived at 3am in the morning to be greeted by a dismissive receptionist.

Bathroom was really clean, rooms could have done with some newer features, but there was no real problem with what was provided. My room was right outside the bathroom so I could here people going in and out all morning.

Great location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Hi Timmy,

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback.
I'm glad to say we are about to put brand new furniture into select rooms, so keep your eye on our website for more details.
Petaling Jaya
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

The hostel is located near to Federation Square & located at the busy CBD. Our flight from Sydney to Melbourne was delayed by 3 hours and scheduled to arrive past midnight. When we called to informed the reception, glad to find out the check in is before 3am. They were very friendly and direct us how to get to the hotel. We bought the return skybus ticket at airport AUD$28 per person. Took the bus to Southern Cross station, from the station we took the cab to Greenhouse which cost us AUD$10. We were given a room at level 4 near to entrance & toilet so it is quite noisy. We can hear people talking, going in & out of the toilet. If you prefer a much quite sleep, request for the room further from toilet & entrance. The room was just ok but we can't expect much as it is a budget stay. However, the kitchen & common area is quite dirty. Laundry is 24 hours. Washing time is about half an hour & dryer took 45 min. Even with 45 min of drying....my cloth still wet. U need to add additional coins if you want another 45min of drying time. Overall, it was just ok.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Greenhouse Backpacker? Share your experiences!