Stayed here from 16- 18 Aug 2013 on a solo trip.
If you're coming via the Skybus from the airport, the hotel courtesy shuttle will drop you at Town Hall on Collins Street and then it's just a 3 minutes walk to the hostel. The entrance isn't really obvious, just a tiny sign but look out for the police station, if you see that, you're just right beside it.
Check in was fast and friendly. The receptionist will give you lots of info about the hostel, how to use the Wifi (which is only available on the 6th floor reception area) and give you your room number. There was only one elevator working during my stay so it gets pretty slow to go up and down so they highly recommend guests to use the stairs. The hostel arranges daily activities around Melbourne including walking tours, pub crawls, pancake Sundays and even Footy Fridays.
I got a 6-bed female dorm room. They clean the rooms everyday but I thought it could have been better as it was still pretty dusty every day. Bathrooms were plentiful, never had to queue for one though very dated and hot water wasn't hot enough for the cold Winter mornings and nights. They provided lockers in the room but you have to bring/buy your own lock. I just locked everything in my luggage and used the shelves for the non-valuables. I really liked the common area on the 6th floor where everybody gathered to talk, use WIFI and just relax. There's even a full kitchen so people can cook their own meals and save some money.
Location wise, this place was in the heart of tourist haven. It's right beside Flinders Street train station where all the major trams and trains pass by. The Melbourne Visitor Centre is also right beside it. And the St. Paul's Cathedral where most of the tours pick you up from. Plenty of cafes, fast food joints and convenience stores beside it.
Overall, a good spot for its price. Some stuff to improve would be to have WIFI on every floor and also charging spots by each bedside.
- Also Known As:
- The Greenhouse Backpacker Hotel
- The Greenhouse Backpacker Hotel Melbourne
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Greenhouse Backpackers is located in the heart of the Melbourne CBD with Flinders Street Station, Federation Square and famous cafe filled laneways less than a five minute walk away.Guests are welcomed with inclusions such as Free Daily Breakfast, Free Unlimited Internet 24/7, Free Walking Tour, Free Dinner Tuesdays, Free Activities and more.Get the inside information on the sights of Melbourne on our half-day walking tour, hear the tunes of local DJ's and bands on our pub crawl, taste the market fresh ingredients in our Free Tuesday dinners.If you are looking for even more tours and trips, see our in house Fully Licensed Travel Agency for expert experience and the best deals on trips around Australia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Booking.com, HostelWorld and HostelBookers so you can book your The Greenhouse Backpacker reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.