“value for money hostel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 112 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Singapore
“value for money hostel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Rooms come with a bunk bed and a cabinet. There are night lights above each bed. Central control air conditioning. Overall I had a good sleep. Wifi only works on level 6. The kitchen area is a bit messy. Coffee powder, tea and sugar are available in containers, but we gave up making any drinks. Toilets are clean. One early morning, saw a couple chatting in the female toilet, surprise to see a guy in the female toilet. Only stay here if you don't mind noisy neighbours. Loud music was playing in the afternoon, but luckily the music stopped at night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My friend and I stayed here because we were initially staying in the Nunnery in Fitzroy but it was a total nightmare, so we checked into the Greenhouse (we had stayed at the one in Cairns). What a relief-- although it was hard to find, it was a nice clean room, comfy bed and air-conditioning. You could hear everything through the walls because it's some type of converted office building, but by late hours it was quiet enough. If you don't mind doors slamming every now and then, this place is definitely worth staying at.
The main lounge is great, cool tv area, and the kitchen area is big, lots of big tables to hang out at. We only stayed one night but if I needed to stay in a hostel in Melb again, I'd stay here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The hostel was quite hard to find because of it's very small signage. Luckily I met one of their staff when i walked thru Flinder St. It was accidently anyway, because I was about to ask the hotel address, ans she was like pointing her finger to her clothes which written 'greenhouse backpackers' then she asked us to follow her. what a coincidence, wasnt it?

Overall, the hostel was ok, I like the location because we only need to walk 5 mins to Fed Sq. The cleanliness was on average, the staff was good, internet connection was free but only avail in the lobby and dining area, the bathroom quite clean but too far away from my room, I just didnt feel comf with the kitchen, but not really bad tho..
Ah ya, they have this very complete tour info brochure, so we can compare which tour suit best to our need.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed at the Greenhouse backpacker from 7 Jun to 12 Jun. the hostel is within 15-20 min walk from southern cross station. It is easy to locate after walking along Collins street, past King street, Williams street and turning into Elizabeth street and finally finding flinders lane. The hostel was also within 2-3 minutes walk from Flinders street station and federation square.
I arrived late past midnight and was delighted to find someone manning the reception. The staff was polite and the check-in was prompt and with minimal fuss.
I had a 4-dorm bed male room and the room was clean and the bunk beds were separated by a wall which meant more privacy. I lament the lack of space to put my belongings since there was only a side table which was taken up by my room mate as I checked in later. I would prefer a side table of two levels so that both could put belongings for easy access. Although there were cabinets to put my luggage, I preferred to leave them on the floor as it was situated by the side of the bunk bed which meant that I could be disturbing my room mate whenever I wanted to retrieve something from my luggage.
The room feels very cold in winter as there is no heater in the room. It is best to bring a jacket to stay warm.
The lounge and dining area is located at the 6th floor and it is where you can access the wifi. The username and password were readily provided when you check in. It was a comfortable place to hang out.
I enjoyed my stay at Greenhouse backpackers and I'm glad to have chosen it as my initial choice was Melbourne Central YHA but decided to choose Greenhouse as there is free wifi albeit it being available only on the 6th floor. I highly recommend anyone who is looking for a cheap and convenient stay in Melbourne to consider Greenhouse backpackers.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Excellent location, just minutes away from Flinders Station, Fed Square. Getting a public transport is not to bad either.

Greenhouse offers free walking tours, pub crawls, bingo nights, free pasta dinners every Thursday etc. Rooms are pretty decent size, but the walls are pretty thin therefore we can even hear our neighbors singing/talking. There were couple of days where loud songs was played by other guests in the washroom, which we can hear from our room. Kitchen was messy and dirty, plenty of dishes was not cleaned by other guests. On the same note, breakfast is provided daily - simple meal of bread, butter, jam, cereals.

Bus shuttle to airport is also provided. Just need to book through the reception.

Overall, it's a good place but not the best. Please do improve on your customer service skills. A couple of them were not to helpful when approached. Except for Shannon (I hope I got the name right) who took us out on the walking tour.

Room Tip: Do not choose room 505, 405, 305 each. It's right opposite the washrooms where it's availabl...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jonathan L, Public Relations Manager at The Greenhouse Backpacker, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Hi Sharenemei,
Thanks for taking the time to leave some feedback.
If you would like to send us an e-mail with your room number, I would be glad to look into why your stay was unusually loud.
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Best things first: The location of this hostel is fantastic! I stayed here during my trip to Australia in January 2013 and it was very comfortable for me to be so close to the city centre (2 mins walk to Fed Sq.). The hostel is quite large and therefore the atmosphere is not very homely but nevertheless there's plenty of opportunity to get into contact with other travellers. If you can, join the free walking tour that is offered by the hostel. I got to see places in Melbourne which I definitely wouldn't have stumbled upon when walking on my own and had a wonderful time! The rooms were clean and just large enough not to feel crowded. Also, the walls seem to be quite thin but luckily I didn't have noisy neighbours. The sanitary installations were spotlessly clean as well and very spatious. The included breakfast was a bit disappointing. You have to be rather quick in order to manage to grab a slice of bread or some milk. The staff on the other hand was very friendly and helpful, just as one would expect it. The only really negative point is the Wi-Fi. It is so extremely slow that the hostel should not even be advertising it. I gave up trying to use it in the evening. In the mornings, it was slightly better. However, if you walk to Fed Square, you can enjoy free Wi-Fi there. All in all, the positive points by far outweigh the negative, so I can definitely recommend this hostel. For this value, I believe The Greenhouse Backpackers is a very reasonable and friendly hostel with a superb location. I would surely stay here again during my next trip to Melbourne.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Jonathan L, Public Relations Manager at The Greenhouse Backpacker, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Hi Fairdl,
Thanks for your kind comments. We recently upgraded our guest internet, so it should be a bit easier to use now. Thanks again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the greenhouse for about 3 weeks and it was terribly sad to leave! First of all the location of the hostel is amazing you can walk everywhere and everything is close! Secondly my room was lovely with a nice view on finders lane. Also the staff was always friendly and helpful 24/7!!
The bathrooms are cleaned every day and i never had to wait to have a shower . What i also really liked is the dining area where there was always someone to chat to!

Free brekki
Free wifi
Pasta footy and bingo night ,all highly recommended!
And if you are there definitely go on the pub crawl! A brilliant opportunity to meet other people, check out the night life and have lots of fun!
Molly is the best!!;-)

I hope you enjoy it as much as i did!

Came alone left with lovely friends !!:)

PS: Do your own dishes!!!

• Stayed May 2013
Jonathan L, Guest Relations Manager at The Greenhouse Backpacker, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Hi Fiona,

Thanks for you kind words.
I was thrilled to read you enjoyed your stay with us.

Been to The Greenhouse Backpacker? Share your experiences!