“Great location and value” 4 of 5 stars

The Greenhouse Backpacker
228 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #27 of 111 Specialty lodging in Melbourne
Munich, Germany
“Great location and value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Best things first: The location of this hostel is fantastic! I stayed here during my trip to Australia in January 2013 and it was very comfortable for me to be so close to the city centre (2 mins walk to Fed Sq.). The hostel is quite large and therefore the atmosphere is not very homely but nevertheless there's plenty of opportunity to get into contact with other travellers. If you can, join the free walking tour that is offered by the hostel. I got to see places in Melbourne which I definitely wouldn't have stumbled upon when walking on my own and had a wonderful time! The rooms were clean and just large enough not to feel crowded. Also, the walls seem to be quite thin but luckily I didn't have noisy neighbours. The sanitary installations were spotlessly clean as well and very spatious. The included breakfast was a bit disappointing. You have to be rather quick in order to manage to grab a slice of bread or some milk. The staff on the other hand was very friendly and helpful, just as one would expect it. The only really negative point is the Wi-Fi. It is so extremely slow that the hostel should not even be advertising it. I gave up trying to use it in the evening. In the mornings, it was slightly better. However, if you walk to Fed Square, you can enjoy free Wi-Fi there. All in all, the positive points by far outweigh the negative, so I can definitely recommend this hostel. For this value, I believe The Greenhouse Backpackers is a very reasonable and friendly hostel with a superb location. I would surely stay here again during my next trip to Melbourne.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Jonathan L, Public Relations Manager at The Greenhouse Backpacker, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Hi Fairdl,
Thanks for your kind comments. We recently upgraded our guest internet, so it should be a bit easier to use now. Thanks again.

208 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the greenhouse for about 3 weeks and it was terribly sad to leave! First of all the location of the hostel is amazing you can walk everywhere and everything is close! Secondly my room was lovely with a nice view on finders lane. Also the staff was always friendly and helpful 24/7!!
The bathrooms are cleaned every day and i never had to wait to have a shower . What i also really liked is the dining area where there was always someone to chat to!

Free brekki
Free wifi
Pasta footy and bingo night ,all highly recommended!
And if you are there definitely go on the pub crawl! A brilliant opportunity to meet other people, check out the night life and have lots of fun!
Molly is the best!!;-)

I hope you enjoy it as much as i did!

Came alone left with lovely friends !!:)

PS: Do your own dishes!!!

• Stayed May 2013
Jonathan L, Guest Relations Manager at The Greenhouse Backpacker, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Hi Fiona,

Thanks for you kind words.
I was thrilled to read you enjoyed your stay with us.
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

The last time I had stayed in this hostel it was of high standard, but several years later it has really gone downhill. I was assured by the staff that we would be made welcome with our young family but the staff were difficult from the minute we arrived, despite having my husband and little one parked in a loading zone the staff made check in difficult; the kitchen was atrocious with bins overflowing so badly there was rubbish left all over tge work benches - there wasn't even a clean knife or space to prepare food and the bathrooms, including the disabled one we were allowed access to so we could shower our child, were filthy. When we took photos to the manager, he said that people had to clean up after themselves, but if they are offering a service that says it is clean it's clearly not. That kitchen needs reporting to the health department, it's really that bad!

• Stayed November 2012
Jonathan L, Public Relations Manager at The Greenhouse Backpacker, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Hi Froggiem,

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay.
Are you certain you have got the right hostel? I have investigated your issues here and none of our managers can recall a guest showing them photos. Our kitchen and bathrooms are also cleaned four times every day.

Can you please send us an e-mail to greenhouse@friendlygroup.com.au with some more details and I will look into this some more. Thanks.
newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed for 1 night in a private room. Great staff, very friendly and helpful. Close to everything. Great place to stay. As i work in the tourism industry i was more than happy with my accommodation thank you

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Cairns, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Great Location for this hostel everything you want to do is on your door step ! Also good kitchen facilities and chill out areas ! Travelling with my boyfriend we found this a greathskta, for locations and cleanliness ! Would really recommend it apart from our room . We stayed in room 405 which was right opposite the male and female toilets/showers. We were here for 5 nights and not 1 night did we get a decent sleep . The showers are available 24hours a day and every hour there was at least 2 people showering/blow drying there hair at all times in the morning .The busiest time being from 2-6! The room also has a glass window in itso every time either of the doors open u hear it and also see the bright lights. We would basically get to sleep until around 1-2 and then be up until sometimes 7.30 In the morning .In the end we couldn't wait to leave which was a shame ! Apart from that thought couldn't fault it !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jonathan L, Public Relations Manager at The Greenhouse Backpacker, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Hi Stacey,

Sorry to hear you felt disturbed by the light in your room. I can't remember hearing of this issue before but I will look into finding a solution.
Glad you liked everything else.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This was my favourite hostel in oz by far. Arrived on my own in September, left a week later with friends for life. The atmosphere was great, the rooms clean although a little cramped. It did get hot at night and my room didn't have a window, but as I wasn't spending much time in there anyway that didn't matter. The communal area was great, open and spacious. FREE breakfast every morning keeps you going in those first shaky days, the pasta night was another great addition as was the famous Bingo on Wednesdays. My favourite bit by far was the free walking tour, a fantastic introduction to Melbourne that covered all the stuff we really wanted to know- cheap places to get food, the best back alleyway bars and why you should cover your eyes around magpies. Would definitely recommend this hostel!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Leixlip, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Excellent hostel in Melbourne.
Great location, very easy to get around.
The hostel is very big with many floors, and I was very impressed how neat and tidy it was during my stay.
The only thing I didn't like was that the WiFi in the kitchen / reception area was very poor and sometimes useless.
Clearly too many people connected at the same time.
Other than that I had great days here!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Greenhouse Backpacker? Share your experiences!