“Average at best” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Discovery Melbourne

You added Discovery Melbourne to your Saves list
Discovery Melbourne
3.5 of 5 Hostel   |   167 - 175 Franklin St, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #66 of 112 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Adelaide, Australia
“Average at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I stayed at the Discovery Melbourne for one night in early February 2014. The place is huge so there's lots of people around at all times. After checking in I proceeded to my room, a private double room, and found a pool of vomit greeting me just outside. Not a great start! I informed staff and they cleaned it up however the smell still lingered in the landing. It was a very basic room and I think $70 was a little bit much quite frankly. I have to say that the bed was comfortable and clean, and there was a fan thankfully but that's about all the positives about the room. The fan however did not prove at all effective for the very hot temperature that night as it had little reach due to the high ceiling and it was a very uncomfortably night. The room could have really done with a little bit of an upgrade and looked quite shabby. For $70 I expected more. I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I stayed here for two nights while I was waiting to move in to my new flat. It was the first time I stayed in a hostel but I think the place is worth it. I was in a 12 beds room and it was sometimes a little bit stressing (particularly at night when people got in and out of the bedroom) so I would recommend a smaller room. The bathrooms were clean and facilities in general were new and well-maintained, comfy beds with linen.
I didn't participate in any event but they had plenty of them and they looked interesting.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Terrible experience. I had booked through the website and processed full payment for two nights accomodation. I turned up at 6pm to find out there was a system error and my booking had not been processed yet I had been charged in full. Absolute inconvenience and no apology. I was recharged in full but due to the fact that they were booked out I was told to seek accomodation elsewhere at 7pm when they wee finished investigating the matter. All hostels in the vancinity were full and they were no heIp finding an alternative hostel. I was also informed that this was not the first time this occurred in the week prior. I would not recommend this hostel to others.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Stanthorpe, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

This is a review on the second time I stayed at Discovery. Me and a friend stayed there after a pretty rough few days at the Barleycorn, Discovery was the second hostel we'd stayed in since we started out traveling, and I have to say it's gonna be hard to top it. Good value for money, the staff are brilliant [shout out to Quizmaster Jeff and Anna who was just a star], and it's really easy to make new friends there. Always something fun happening downstairs at the bar, and the cinema room was brilliant for watching DVD's or hooking up your laptop to get caught up on TV shows! The only minor complaint is the construction happening next door, but if you sleep with headphones in [which I resorted to in the end], you'll sleep beautifully. I couldn't recommend this hostel more.

Room Tip: It's all the luck of the draw, if you're on the side opposite of the construction you are fi...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hostel for one night in a twin room with my mate and it was more like staying in a hotel than a hostel. Great night sleep, really comfy beds, loads of toilet/shower facilities, complimentary breakfast in the morning was great. I don't think it's a partying hostel as there were loads of rules when checking in, but it was very professional and I'd highly recommend this hostel to other travellers.

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Other than the location of this place (virtually across the road from Vic Markets) it is just like any other backpackers I've stayed at. They did have a rooftop laser skirmish on when I was there, so that's pretty cool.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Northants, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Stayed here in a 10 bed dorm for a week. Very large hostel with good facilities, everything you need really. Very clean, electronic key cards, comfortable beds. Only a few bad points, not enough toilets on my floor - only 2 toilets and no urinals, yet 8 showers. Also it was next to a construction site and very noisy from 6am. Apart from this would recommend the hostel and stay again.

• Stayed February 2014

Been to Discovery Melbourne? Share your experiences!