“rude staff, disappointed.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Discovery Melbourne

You added Discovery Melbourne to your Saves list
Discovery Melbourne
3.5 of 5 Hostel   |   167 - 175 Franklin St, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #66 of 112 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“rude staff, disappointed.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

stayed here for about a week, at first seemed cool but then things didn't seem as good. everyone in my room was loud and were drinking despite a no alcohol rule. tried to tell reception about it but they didn't seem to care. website claimed they had free wifi only to discover that you had to pay per day. generally didn't have a particularly friendly backpacker feel. plus housekeeping staff were inexcusably rude- turning light on in the morning (i was trying to sleep after not getting back from work till 4 in the morning) and spraying some kind of aerosol around the whole room, again, despite a strictly no aerosol rule. overall, disappointing stay, would recommend nomads up the road instead.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Grant167, General Manager at Discovery Melbourne, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thanks for the Feedback it is really important to obtain honest feedback both positive and negative as this is the only way the we can train and grow our team to be super stars! - I am shocked to see that the Reception and Housekeeping staff were rude and this has been addressed as it is totally not acceptable. I am sorry that your experience at our Hostel was tarnished by such things, but again I am working with the team to ensure a high level of service is provided at all times. I do hope you will try us again to experience what the service is normally like and have a great experience as that is what we strive to provide to all.
Enjoy your time in Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Townsville, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed at this hostel for a week while I was in Melbourne back in January 2013. From outside, the hostel looks quite impressive. The downstairs main common area/reception/restaurant is cool because its a big gathering space with free wifi. The rooms however, were small and felt a bit cramped. They had big shower rooms with a separate toilet room which is always nice. The food at the restaurant was cheap and the staff were nice. With all that said, I didnt like this hostel that much but its a decent enough place to sleep and get cleaned up. I should also add, the location is decent - just a few minute walk to most things in the area. I wouldnt stay at this hostel if i was to go back to Melbourne as I know of many better ones!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Lauren,
Thanks for your feedback - Great to hear that you enjoyed the facilities and the guest lounge area - the rooms are a mixture of all sizes, subject to what you booked at the time you may have been in a smaller dorm room. I am currently in the process of rearranging the floor plans of the Hostel to aleviate any such concerns in the future. I hope to see you next time you are in Mlebourne.

Have a great weekend
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I travelled by myself, stayed in an 8 bed female dorm. Awesome girls in my room which made up the best part of my stay. I had trouble at checkin as my online payment had not been processed, so I had to pay again, the whole process was time consuming and messy, Nothing about my booking was correct. However I dealt with nice people. Showers were hot, toilets and kitchen clean etc. Café was good, great coffee. After I had checked out and was able to prove about my online payment afew days later, I did get my refund, thanks to Phil for dealing with that. I was also able to book the penguin parade day trip through discovery which was awesome.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GenMngr, General Manager at Discovery Melbourne, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thankyou for your Review and providing feedback I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the location and the facilities - I will pass on your thanks to Phil for assisting with your Refund - I hope you are enjoying your travels.
Penang Island, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Together with my friends, we're coming to Melbourne for the very first time. We're very satisfied with the friendly staffs and the free transport to the hostel was very much appreciated! The free breakfast and wifi gave us much convenience. We stayed at 12-beds girl's dorm but it was nice, not noisy like we had worried before. The bathroom and wash room were clean, however I found out that sometimes the warm water supply was not consistent, it could turn out to be cold and then back to warm the next second. And another thing is, our card keys were so troublesome. We had stayed there for 4 nights and almost everyday we need to go downstairs to complain about the malfunction cards. It's quite frustrating.

There're other good sides such as: a 7-11 around the corner not far from hostel, just walk across the road and you'll got everything. Mini markets nearby. Located at the center of city which is very near to Queen Victoria Market. Many happenings and free events every week. A bar just located downstairs (Had not been there but we didnt feel noisy staying at our room upstairs). A kitchen available till 11-ish pm.

The day we're rushing to airport, we're so relieved that the staffs were willing to help us to book the taxis even though they're quite busy. Really appreciated that and overall, it's a really friendly and comfortable hostel!

Room Tip: Room I get was on 2nd floor, nice and quiet if you would like to know.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stayed here for 2 weeks. Good location, very close to CBD, Victoria Market, and there are also many nice restaurants just around the corner. Staffs are all very helpful. And the cafe and bar provide great opportunities to make friends with backpackers from around the world.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

GenMngr, General Manager at Discovery Melbourne, responded to this review, February 5, 2015
Thank you for your Review on TripAdvisor – It is always great to receive feedback from our valued customers. I am glad to hear you have enjoyed your time at Discovery Melbourne and we do hope you will come back and see us again soon.
Have a great Time exploring all Melbourne, Victoria and the rest of Australia has to offer.
Corowa, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

There is a lot to love about discovery melbourne. Whether it's the events they hold, their very helpful staff, or their below ground club. The only negatives that come up is the size of the rooms is Very small, but that's to be expected at such a great price. Also, the roof level wasn't being used at that time, and I was a little bit upset by that, as it looked like much could be done there.
Overall, loved it, and will most likely be coming back sometime soon.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have less noise from the below ground club.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Discovery Melbourne? Share your experiences!