“Great Location, Great Staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of United Backpackers Melbourne

Save Saved
You added United Backpackers Melbourne to your Saves list
United Backpackers Melbourne
250 Flinders St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000 , Australia (Formerly Elephant Backpackers) (Melbourne CBD)   |
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great Location, Great Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed in one of the four bed ensuite rooms with a group of friends and we loved this place. The room was a really good size, we all managed to spread our gear across the floor and still have space to move. The bathroom was a little on the small side but still ok as there were shared bathrooms just down the hall which were a lot bigger. The staff were all really helpful and knowledgeable, sharing all their insider tips about the cool places to eat and explore. Being right across the road from Fllinders Street Station, this is about as central as you can get, so is perfect for getting around the city. The one thing I would say is that the wi-fi is awful and I know most people don't go on holiday to use wi-fi but it is still something I think I factor in a little these days. The wi-fi was only available in one small area on one floor and you could forget about trying to connect at a meal time because there were just so many people fighting for access. I would, however, definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
JM_travels_sometimes, Manager at United Backpackers Melbourne, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hello! Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback - we really do appreciate it! I am very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay - we like to think of our ensuites as small but perfectly formed! And you're right, the bathrooms just down the hall are super spacious and convenient. Our amazing crew love sharing this city and I think it would be tough to find a better location to explore it from!

You are right about the wifi. It does get jammed up at peak times - we are working on improving the service and once our super awesome basement is complete (6 weeks and counting!) there will be more space to use it in!

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Gdynia, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I loved it! Amazing location (near to the museums, art galleries and great restaurants/cafes). Crew was very helpful and positive. Well-organized kitchen and tv-room. Very clean and cosy rooms. Everything spot-on!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Oh hello there! Thank you for leaving your thoughts about your stay at United! I am so glad to read that you enjoyed your time with us. Just quietly, I think we have the best staff in the business and we work around the clock to ensure that you have the best possible time in Melbourne! Thanks for staying - we hope to see you again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I LOVE this place! Which is weird for me to say, as I only stayed for 2 nights last weekend! I honestly don't have a bad word to say - and I did think hard about it as I appreciate an honest review myself.

I was in a 4 bed female dorm with ensuite and the beds are great - comfortable, clean, good linen. The individual lights and power outlets are a wonderful and welcome addition (the past three hostels I've stayed in need to follow your lead!). Bathroom was clean with lots of storage space for toiletries. Air con was appreciated too, as were the underbed lockers - and you cannot get a better location - on Flinders Street, directly across from the station, tram stops and Fed Square. There are plenty of shops, attractions, restaurants and cheap eats nearby.
Towels can also be hired for $10, which includes a $5 deposit that is returned on checkout.

I was super busy during the duration of my stay and was mostly out with local friends so I didn't have a chance to take part in any of the activities, visit the common room or kitchen so I can't comment on those - however my lovely roomies filled me in and told me how great they are!
On the topic of roomies - I know this isn't really anything to do with the hostel itself but the girls I shared with in this place were the nicest dorm mates I think I have ever had. Everyone was so respectful and nice, as well as being super friendly and up for a chat.

Clearly I have found a new favourite hostel and will defffffinitely be back. Thanks for being so rad, guys!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Oh goodness - what lovely things to say! I am so glad that you enjoyed your (too brief!) time with us. We work super hard to ensure that all our superstar guests have the best time with us - no matter how long you are staying!

We hope to see you back at United one day soon :)

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed here for 2 nights in July. i stayed in a private room. It was better than what i was expecting. The room was large, had a bunk bed (double and single on top), a table and chair, a coat hanger, airconditioner, windows that opened and i had a view of the flinders street station and a black out curtain. It was clean and bright.

The ensuit was small but clean and shower worked great.

I noticed private bathrooms down the hall and they were also very clean and spacious.

Swipe card access into lift, your floor only if you took the stairs, and then again to get into you room. Felt very safe here.

Staff were very friendly and offered help with activities and locations.

Location was fantastic. Flinders street and fed square across the road. Southern cross station was about 10 min walk. The street next to the backpackers has heaps of cafes/restaurants.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Hello and thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback about your stay at United Backpackers - I am very please to read that you enjoyed your stay with us! We work around the clock to ensure that all our amazing guests have the best possible time at United - we reckon you can't beat this amazing location (and all the treats that Degraves Street has too!) - we love this city and love sharing it with everyone who walks through our door!

United Backpackers

PS: the view from those front rooms IS pretty special :)
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I was very pleased with this hostel. As it is new, everything was clean and neat. there were plenty of showers, so no wait time. The location can't be beat. Everything you could possibly need is just a block or two away. Staff were great and held luggage on last day after checkout. Wifi in the rooms made it easy to surf.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Hello there! Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback - we really appreciate it! I'm very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you back at United one day soon!

Delhi, Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

PROS:
1. LOCATION!! right on the flinders st. made it really close to all the tram n train stations.. 2. Key system makes it pretty secure and safe!
3. Obsessed with cleanliness, SUPER CLEAN!that you will even find people at 2 AM in the morning cleaning up!!
4. Super comfy mattresses and charging point on each bunk!! that was really cool!
5. Good spacious lockers to keep ur stuff!
CONS:
1. Very less no. of social events happening.. so the chance to meet new people is not that great!
2.kitchen closes at 12 and they dont have their own bar, but BYO is cool!”

Room Tip: take the rooms at level 3!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Hello there! Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We really do appreciate it. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your time with us! You sure are right about this location, right in the heart of the city - it doesn't get any better than that! And yep - we work around the clock (even at 2 in the morning!) to keep the hostel spick and span for our superstar guests.

We run a really great events program - but it sounds like you didn't get to take advantage of it! Comedy nights, walking tours, bar crawls and trivia each week just to name a few! And don't worry! Our amazing new bar is under construction and will be opened at the end of October - you'll have to come and join us for a drink!

UNnted Backpackers
Indore, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed with my husband in a 4 bed room on 16-17 Aug. We just loved everything about the place. It is very clean, well maintained, free in-room wifi, centrally located opposite to the Tram station and has extremely friendly staff. The staff at frontdesk went out of the way to help and guide us. They even organise walking tours, movie nights - you can find the details about plan for each day on the notice boards. They have a nice kitchen with all necessary amenities - Fridge, Microwave, Toaster, Induction gas & free crockery to use.They have a free locker room that you can use if you check in/ out early.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello there. Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your feedback and for saying such lovely things. I am really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We work super hard to ensure we provide an amazing experience for all of our guests - thanks for noticing! :)

ps: you must have been lucky! The wifi is generally not available in rooms, only in the communal areas!

Happy Travels,
United Backpackers

Been to United Backpackers Melbourne? Share your experiences!