“I can't say enough good things!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of United Backpackers Melbourne

Save Saved
You added United Backpackers Melbourne to your Saves list
United Backpackers Melbourne
250 Flinders St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000 , Australia (Formerly Elephant Backpackers) (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #10 of 109 Specialty lodging in Melbourne
Regina, Canada
“I can't say enough good things!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

You can't beat the location but, at the same time, the key card entry system makes you feel so safe. It's incredibly clean - there always seems to be someone cleaning.
The beds are so comfortable and each has it's own light and plug-in - great for charging your devices.
The main areas (kitchen/tv room) are huge and make it easy to meet people.
The only problem was that I stayed on the top bunk and it was very hot. I stayed in the winter so I can't imagine what summer would be like.
Highly recommend!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Bendigo, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed one night there and found the staff to be very friendly and helpful and It is very clean. The hostel is an excellent location with buses, trams and trains just outside the front door if you want to travel any where inside or outside of the city, so very easy to get around. Also most things in the city are an easy waking distance to locations.

There was one con and that was the bunks. The top one is a little creaky to get to and when you climb up without anyone in the bottom bed the bunks look like they are going to fall over onto you. If I could I would take a half a point off the total review.

I will be going back when I'm in town and will tell others how good it is.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
JM_travels_sometimes, Manager at United Backpackers Melbourne, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Hi Greg,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback - I am really glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you'll be coming back to visit again soon!

The beds can sometimes be a little creaky - we do work to stay on top of this - but sometimes we miss one! Should it happen again please make sure you come to reception and let us know! We can usually fix it straight away.

Sway, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Can't really say anything other than these are typical 12 bed dorms, with all the trimmings. Exceptionally comfy beds with personal light and locker etc.
bit dubious about the cleaning that goes on- wrapper (of a certain sort) found tucked next to bed with old tissues...lovely.
UBs is however in a really good location right on Federation Square, surrounded by restaurants and a maccers.
The atmosphere was awesome as well with an amusing quiz night in the large communal kitchen.
All in all, really good and well priced amongst Melbourne's pricier choices.

• Stayed June 2014
Hi there Gus,

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. I am so happy to hear that there was lots that you loved about your stay (how good are those beds lights and personal power-points!) - you certainly can't beat this location and our quiz master Vanessa runs a great trivia night!

Our housekeeping crew work around the clock to keep our hostel super clean so I am really disappointed to read of your experience - I will most definitely be bringing this up with the crew. The rooms are serviced daily (bins emptied and vacuumed and new clean beds made) and while the crew are extremely busy there is no excuse for missing something - we have higher standards that that I can assure you - so thanks for letting me know.

Happy Travels - we hope to see you back at United one day soon!
Rushden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

An awesome hostel, stayed here 3 times, facilities and rooms were top notch. The staff on the whole were brilliant but a couple seem to remember it is essentially a hostel and not the hilton, would definately recommend to anyone

• Stayed March 2014
Hi Martin! Thanks for leaving your feedback! We love when our guests keep returning - It means we are doing it right!

Hopefully we will see you again soon!
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Pros: Great Common Area:
1) Kitchen/Common Area: your allowed to bring your own alcohol and drink it in the common room/kitchen which is great (no need to drink vodka out of a "water bottle" like in other hostels - makes it a lot more sociable, without being a total frat party - good place to drink and chat with people.
2) Staff are really nice and helpful, and give you great advice on cool stuff to do in Melbourne
3) TV Room is very comfy and really nice.
4) Rooms are clean and warm, not very noisy (I was on 1st floor in 12 man bunk) and can be darkened if wanting a daytime sleep by closing the curtains.

Cons
1) Wifi - range needs to be extended a bit, average reception in rooms but fine in the lobby/kitchen area
2) Temperature control in rooms: the top bunks were all very hot whilst the bottom bunks were a nice temperature - ceiling fans (or more effective ones would fix this)
3) Metal Bunks: very creaky, not a problem for me as I can sleep through anything but even stepping on these to get to the top bunk made a decent noise.
4) Lou & Enthusiastic cleaners: enthusiastic cleaners + metal bunks + vacuum cleaner makes for the most annoying loud unpleasant hungover experience. Not desirable when you have just done a 2 night bender at an Armin Van Buuren Concert. Sutbely is all I ask for.

Overall it was great, it just lacked a decent bar crawl to backpacker pubs. It did have a bar crawl which was too some trendy bars which don't get me wrong was nice but sometimes you just want to cut loose with some other backpackers at a decent cheap backpacker bar, and stumble home - thats the only thing this place lacked. Maybe there was one and I couldn't find it. Was there 5 nights and went out every night.

Cheers united Backpackers - it was still sweet.

Room Tip: Just stay on the bottom bunks - the top ones are a mission.

Hi Kieran M!

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts about your stay at United Backpackers. I am really glad to read that you had a great time and there was lots you loved! We've worked really hard to create a warm and inviting hostel with a great atmosphere and our amazing staff are here 24 hours a day to help you make the most of your time in this amazing city (we love Melbourne, and we LOVE sharing it with our guests!).

You're right about the wifi - it is only available in the communal areas (because of where your were located in the building you were probably able to pick it up in the room - that's a bonus!). We are aware that there has been some issue with the ventilation in the rooms - making them pretty warm (which is welcome at the moment - it's super chilly in Melbs!) and we are working on a solution. The bunks can get a bit creaky at times - we check them every month, but sometimes they slip through the cracks - never be afraid to come and see us at reception and let us know - we can usually fix it straight away. It is unfortunately a necessary evil that the rooms are vacuumed everyday! We try to ensure we never do this before 1030am - but I know that can be too early when you've had a big one the night before!

I understand you wanting a more 'backpackerish' bar crawl! Sometimes that's just the trick isn't it? A bit of cheesy music and some super cheap booze! Our fortnightly city bar crawl does end at one of these nights - we like to try to provide our guests with a truly Melbourne experience, so we do tend to mostly avoid the backpacker bars!

Happy Travels (come back soon!)
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Was very happy with my stay at united backpackers. It is by far the nicest and cleanest hostel that i have stayed at. You can hear the sound of people walking past the room at times but this didnt bother me. I couldnt hear noise from the busy street. Great location and the staff were very helpful. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Be sure to keep your food in a bag well labeled. I had a banana and soda water go missing even thoug...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hello and thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback about your stay - I am really happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! We work super hard around the clock to keep the hostel really clean and tidy - thanks for noticing! - and our reception is staffed 24 hours a day to help you make the most of your time in our amazing city!

Happy Travels (and come back soon!)
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I stayed for three nights and it was the best hostel I have ever stayed at. It has a great location which is right next to the Federation Square, where the tourist information center and free wifi are. I stayed at 8 shared female dorm room and there was power plug and light for each bed which was very convenient. Wifi didnt work well inside the room, but it worked really well in lounge, TV room, hallway. TV room was cozy enough to stay in and kitchen was clean. They give you a card for accessing your room and shower which I thought great for security. They also provide you great deals of day tours if you ask a person at the reception. They were super nice!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Wowsers. Thank you so much for your lovely feedback - we love hearing that we do a great job (who doesn't!!) and I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

United Backpackers

Been to United Backpackers Melbourne? Share your experiences!