“A wonderful hostel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of United Backpackers Melbourne

You added United Backpackers Melbourne to your Saves list
United Backpackers Melbourne
250 Flinders St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000 , Australia (Formerly Elephant Backpackers) (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #11 of 112 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
“A wonderful hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

I really love there, I have been Melbourne for 5 days, everything was really great, the staff, the location, the people who I met, next time when I come back to Melbourne, I will still stay this great place!

• Stayed May 2014
JM_travels_sometimes, Manager at United Backpackers Melbourne, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Hi there!

Wow - what lovely things to say! I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay with us - hopefully you will get to come back and stay with us again soon!

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights and it was a great hostel. Very good location, right in the city and next to a lot. Very clean, both bathroom and rooms. Comfortable beds and fun atmosphere. The kitchen is huge and it's easy to meet people. I was traveling alone so I made friends very easily.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Hello,

Thanks for leaving your feedback - I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Hopefully we will see you back at United one day soon.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Good impressions were made before I even arrived in Melbourne. I was trying to pick a hostel to stay in and United stood out because the staff actually care enough to read and reply to reviews!

Everything else was a bonus, and there were plenty! Activities throughout the week, a massive kitchen that's great for meeting other guests, free wifi, personal power outlets, clean (if somewhat stiff) linen, regular cleaning throughout the day... heck, I could even watch F1 in the TV room.

The staff are helpful, but they put their foot down if you try to bring outsiders in. Location wise, you can't be closer to Flinders Street Station and Degraves Street. Noise doesn't get in unless it's made by the room mates, but in the mornings the smell of fried bacon from the street sometimes does...

What's not to like? Running out of drinking water at night, only to find that the kitchen's closed. The bathrooms take a long time to dry too. Neither of these things stopped me from enjoying my stay. Thanks guys!

Room Tip: Air conditioning in the upper floors only. Bear that in mind in summer!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
JM_travels_sometimes, Manager at United Backpackers Melbourne, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Hi there - thanks for leaving your feedback. We do appreciate it and frankly, who doesn't enjoy reading good things about themselves! We take all feedback super seriously - even the bad stuff that occasionally pops up, it helps us continue to improve.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and all that we have to offer (I think you listed just about everything!) - we work really hard at providing an amazing Melbourne experience for all of our guests and love sharing this incredible city (but yep - we do draw the line at sharing our space with people who are not staying here - as you can imagine this is a security issue for all of our guests - luckily there are loads of great places nearby where you can take your friends!)

We hope to see you back at United one day soon (if only to enjoy the smell of bacon and coffee from the shops below...mmm I'm hungry now!)

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

I am staying here for 4 nights. The location is very2 good, i will give it 5 stars for the location, 5 stars for the bed and 5 stars also for the staff here. The staff will let you know anything you wanted to know in Melbourne, they will help you as much as they can. I Just hope the kitchen crew will be little bit strict with the kitchen users, remind the users it is not their home and they don't have their mother to wash the dishes for them, this is not fair to others. This place definitely the best place to stay.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Hello! Thank you very much for your kind words and lovely review - we do appreciate it (everyone loves to hear nice things about themselves!).

Our amazing United Crew love Melbourne - and we love sharing it with our guests and you're right our location IS incredible - right in the heart of Melbourne and all the best it has to offer.

Like you said - sometimes people do take advantage of the kitchen - leaving their mess all over the place (definitely not fair to all the people who do the right thing!) - that's why we have staff in the kitchen 7 nights a week to ensure that people are doing their dishes (though some sneaky folks always manage to get away with it!)

I am super glad that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you back at United one day soon!
Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

I booked 3 nights at United Backpackers and I think it was quite good.
The staff were friendly, helpful and funny :) I like them :)
I chose 12-girl-doom room and that room was almost full when I came. Everybody in my room were somehow noisy, and a bit untidy :) Rubbishes were all on my room's floor. But it was not UBs' fault, right ? :) Luckily, beds are clean and comfortable.
Kitchen is large with enough equipment for basic cooking, a bit messy, especially at about 6-8pm when everyone come back the Backpackers and have dinner :) Bathroom for girls is small but clean, maybe sometimes we need to wait for others since there are not enough spaces. There is no laundry, for me, it's fine since I bring enough clothes but if you stay there longer, it may bring little difficulty. Wifi is free in kitchen and other common areas ( not in bathroom :)) ) , and it's fast so I can eat and upload my photos taken during the day at a same time :)
For my 3-day-trip in Melbourne, I don't have any big complaint about my accommodation and really recommend others to stay in UBs :)

Room Tip: I'm sorry that I chose Terrible for Fitness centre and Swimming Pool. Actually ,there is no neit...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

JM_travels_sometimes, Manager at United Backpackers Melbourne, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hello!

Thank you for leaving your thoughts about your stay at United Backpackers - we're glad you enjoyed your time here! I think we have the best staff in the business here at United - I'm glad you liked them too!

Yep -sometimes we can't control how tidy people are in the dorm rooms (though we try!) or make people do their dishes - though we do have staff in the kitchen from 8pm every night to try to ensure that this is getting done.

Our laundry room is currently being built in our basement - along with our brand new bar and extra communal space - I hope you get to come back and see us again soon!

Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

Great staff. Great environment. Amenities are solid, location is best. Free wifi in the common areas -- the only downside to the hostel is that there's no bar there (currently in the works though!) and the wifi doesn't work in the rooms. Otherwise, awesome experience.

Stay here.

• Stayed March 2014
Wow! What lovely things to say - thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts - it's much appreciated.

Don't worry! The bar is on its way - we hope to have it up and running very soon - along with our brand new laundry facilities and extra communal space.

Hopefully we will see you again soon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I booked 3 nights at United Backpackers and it was a very good experience. Good value for money, very friendly staff, and very clean rooms and amazing bathroom.
There is a light and power for each bed so you don't have to look for where to plug your phone or your laptop. Very comfy pillows and bed.
The location is also great, very close to Federation Square and everything.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Hello!

Thanks for leaving your thoughts on your stay at United Backpackers we're glad that you enjoyed your stay!

How good are those bed lights and power points!?! No more searching for the elusive power that can be such a problem in hostels eh? Thanks for noticing how hard we work to keep the building super clean - we have an amazing clean crew who work around the clock to do so.

Hopefully we will see you again soon!
United Backpackers

Been to United Backpackers Melbourne? Share your experiences!