“Good hostel, good value for money and very clean!” 4 of 5 stars

You added United Backpackers Melbourne to your Saves list
Booking.com HostelBookers.com
and 1 more site!
United Backpackers Melbourne
250 Flinders St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000 , Australia (Formerly Elephant Backpackers) (Melbourne CBD)   |
“Good hostel, good value for money and very clean!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

A great hostel for backpackers or people spending a few nights in the city.
Good location, just over the road from flinders station, this does cause I little bit of noise disturbance if you get a room on the front but nothing terrible.
Staff were very friendly and helpful.
The hostel was very clean, rooms immaculate. All beds have a plug socket and reading light which is really helpful for the modern day traveller. Lockers under beds are also provided. The kitchen was a good size and lots of storage shelves and fridges. Drinking is allowed in the kitchen until 12am and so it can get a bit crowded and noisy in there in the evenings but I great place to meet new friends.
There was no laundry which was a negative for me but apparently they are in the process of having one fitted.
Overall a great hostel.

• Stayed April 2014
JM_travels_sometimes, Manager at United Backpackers Melbourne, responded to this review, today
Hi there,

Thank you very much for your kind words. We love hearing good things about ourselves (who doesn't!).

We think we are the best located hostel in the city - smack bang in the middle of all the great things this city has to offer. Our awesome clean team work around the clock to keep the hostel spick and span - thanks for noticing! And just quietly - I think we have the best staff in the business!

Our laundry room is under construction and hopefully will be up and running soon. In the meantime we have access to a laundry just meters away.

We hope to see you back at United soon!

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Having stayed at many hostels around the world this one is best for exploring Melbourne as everything is at your finger tips.

Pros:
Friendly staff
Opposite main station and tram stop
Near attractions
Very clean
Good sized locker, bring your padlock
Near Coles supermarket
Big kitchen
Lots of clean bathrooms
Comfy pillow
Personal light and powerpoint
Shelves in ensuite to put shower stuff
Secure card access
Elevator
Air conditioning on level 3 rooms
Free luggage storage
Sky bus drop you off a few minutes from the hostel

Small cons:
Wash basin in ensuite was very small, but at least soap was provided
Lots of fresh out of uni and school backpackers which is what you'd expect of course, but if you're a few years older it's hard to meet people on your wavelength
No breakfast

Keep it up!

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Hi Mister_Bump (great name!)

Thank you very much for you kind words and taking the time to leave your feedback. It's much appreciated! We love this hostel and this city and really enjoy sharing it with all of our guests.

You're right - there is lots to love (I think you listed almost everything!) We hope to see you back at United the next time you're in Melbourne.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Big rooms (ours had an ensuite) , lovely old building with high ceilings , good price and in a top location. Relatively clean by backpackers standard and very nice staff to boot. Would def stay again if we come back to melbourne.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hey Cindy!

Thanks so much for leaving your feedback and your kind words. I'm super glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you back at United Backpackers someday soon!

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I booked an private ensuite room, it's better than I expect. Very cosy and comfortable, love sleeping in it. It's clean but they don't clean thoroughly once you are staying in it. They just clear the dustbins. Probably clear the hairs in ur shower. It's actually good enough but if they can vacuum will be good.. I think some rooms they do. They don't have hair dryer, so if you are like me who has first world problem which was quoted by the staff there, remember to bring your own. If you are expecting to make friends there you can forget it, as ppl there usual in a group. They are not that friendly enough to check you out and befriend you. Or maybe because I'm Asian that's why? Or I look unfriendly haha? Location are perfect! Just right opp flinders street station! Very convenience! Overall I love my stay despite not able to make new frds but that's alright I guess.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed for 2 weeks in a 6 person dorm. The hostel is the nicest hostel I've ever stayed in by far in the best location in the city. It is a hostel and you're paying less than $30/night so obviously it's not going to be like a 5 star hotel, which I think some people forget when staying in a hostel (especially tripadvisor people)! They have events like pub crawls, trivia nights and walking tours. I highly recommend the walking tour. Mike from the front desk was a killer pub crawl leader, super fun and personable. The only major downside is that they have limited air con. If you're coming during their summer months, I straight up don't recommend this place. The first night I was there it was 32 degrees that day and there were 5 other people in my room and we were cooking. I couldn't imagine having no AC when it gets to 45. nope. It's also very loud at night in the rooms from the noise from the streets. I feel like there were a lot of long term people there, which gave it a really clique-y vibe, but that honestly didn't phase me at all. Overall, if it's not really hot outside, stay here. It's fun, cheap, great location, smoothly run and clean.

Room Tip: The 6 bed was perfect. It's a bigger room, less clustered than the terrifying 12-bed and easier...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback! i'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay and there was lots you loved - we think we're pretty good too! I love to hear great feedback on our awesome staff - and Mike is definitely one of the best!

You're sure right about our location - smack bang in the middle of the best that Melbourne has to offer and yes, sometimes the street can get a little noisy. That's the price you pay for this location eh!?

We hope to see you back at United someday soon!
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a good hostel for sure. It's clean, pretty spacious, air con in the rooms, an alright size kitchen, free wifi, a lift, nice staff, good sized single bathrooms with shower and toilet (can get really dirty with pubes and hairs all over the sink and floor but it's gonna so just wear flip flops in the shower). The only thing I feel it is lacking is atmosphere, and it really is lacking in it... They have free activities in the week but I've not met anyone to do it with because everyone is quite clichy and always go out early rather than drink in the kitchen... Even thought you can drink in here until 12am. I think when the bar is finished downstairs it will be a great place to stay! I'm not extending my stay this time though, maybe I'll come back when the bars done!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Hello there,

Thanks for leaving your thoughts about your stay. I'm so glad to hear there was much you loved! I especially love hearing about the nice staff! I think we have the best in the business here at United and we like to go out of our way to make your stay as enjoyable as possible, so I'm sorry to hear that you felt it was hard to meet people. Like you said we have loads of free activities every week - everything from walking tours to pub crawls to free comedy nights, all events that you should definitely go on and we guarantee you'll meet people that way!

Our basement is, as you know under construction, and there are big plans for the space - stay tuned!

We hope to see you back one day soon
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This hostel was definitely the cleanest I've ever seen. It's brand new (I think it just opened a few months ago) and all the rooms/common areas are super modern. The location is perfect, right in the city CBD next to Federation Square. Easy access to all transportation (directly opposite Flinders Street train station and the free tram around the city as well as other paid trams). Feels very safe & secure. It's a pretty social hostel - many people hang out in the TV room (which has lots of beanbags, super cool) and people enjoy drinking in the kitchen at night. The one downside is that people can get pretty loud, since the kitchen closes at midnight, it never really disrupts sleep unless you tend to go to sleep pretty early. There's free wifi, which is really nice, but it doesn't work too well when everyone's on it (mostly in the evenings). Overall United Backpackers is a really nice & clean hostel with friendly people and a great location - would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Some rooms have A/C, but they're a bit more expensive.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
JM_travels_sometimes, Manager at United Backpackers Melbourne, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Hi Christina W!

Thanks so much for your kind words and taking the time to leave your feedback - we love hearing about it when people enjoy United as much as we do!

Our amazing clean team work around the clock to keep the hostel super clean and tidy (seriously there is someone here almost 24 hours a day!) and we work hard to create a fun and sociable atmosphere by hosting lots of free events throughout the week (and super comfortable if you do just want to chill in a beanbag)! Our amazing location makes it super easy to get out and around the city - we're right in the thick of things eh? Yep the wifi does struggle a little at peak times - and we are working on ways to improve this as I type!

We'd love to see you back here sometime soon!
United Backpackers

Been to United Backpackers Melbourne? Share your experiences!