“Great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of United Backpackers Melbourne

Save Saved
You added United Backpackers Melbourne to your Saves list
United Backpackers Melbourne
250 Flinders St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000 , Australia (Formerly Elephant Backpackers) (Melbourne CBD)   |
San Francisco, California
“Great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Big rooms (ours had an ensuite) , lovely old building with high ceilings , good price and in a top location. Relatively clean by backpackers standard and very nice staff to boot. Would def stay again if we come back to melbourne.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I booked an private ensuite room, it's better than I expect. Very cosy and comfortable, love sleeping in it. It's clean but they don't clean thoroughly once you are staying in it. They just clear the dustbins. Probably clear the hairs in ur shower. It's actually good enough but if they can vacuum will be good.. I think some rooms they do. They don't have hair dryer, so if you are like me who has first world problem which was quoted by the staff there, remember to bring your own. If you are expecting to make friends there you can forget it, as ppl there usual in a group. They are not that friendly enough to check you out and befriend you. Or maybe because I'm Asian that's why? Or I look unfriendly haha? Location are perfect! Just right opp flinders street station! Very convenience! Overall I love my stay despite not able to make new frds but that's alright I guess.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed for 2 weeks in a 6 person dorm. The hostel is the nicest hostel I've ever stayed in by far in the best location in the city. It is a hostel and you're paying less than $30/night so obviously it's not going to be like a 5 star hotel, which I think some people forget when staying in a hostel (especially tripadvisor people)! They have events like pub crawls, trivia nights and walking tours. I highly recommend the walking tour. Mike from the front desk was a killer pub crawl leader, super fun and personable. The only major downside is that they have limited air con. If you're coming during their summer months, I straight up don't recommend this place. The first night I was there it was 32 degrees that day and there were 5 other people in my room and we were cooking. I couldn't imagine having no AC when it gets to 45. nope. It's also very loud at night in the rooms from the noise from the streets. I feel like there were a lot of long term people there, which gave it a really clique-y vibe, but that honestly didn't phase me at all. Overall, if it's not really hot outside, stay here. It's fun, cheap, great location, smoothly run and clean.

Room Tip: The 6 bed was perfect. It's a bigger room, less clustered than the terrifying 12-bed and easier...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is a good hostel for sure. It's clean, pretty spacious, air con in the rooms, an alright size kitchen, free wifi, a lift, nice staff, good sized single bathrooms with shower and toilet (can get really dirty with pubes and hairs all over the sink and floor but it's gonna so just wear flip flops in the shower). The only thing I feel it is lacking is atmosphere, and it really is lacking in it... They have free activities in the week but I've not met anyone to do it with because everyone is quite clichy and always go out early rather than drink in the kitchen... Even thought you can drink in here until 12am. I think when the bar is finished downstairs it will be a great place to stay! I'm not extending my stay this time though, maybe I'll come back when the bars done!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This hostel was definitely the cleanest I've ever seen. It's brand new (I think it just opened a few months ago) and all the rooms/common areas are super modern. The location is perfect, right in the city CBD next to Federation Square. Easy access to all transportation (directly opposite Flinders Street train station and the free tram around the city as well as other paid trams). Feels very safe & secure. It's a pretty social hostel - many people hang out in the TV room (which has lots of beanbags, super cool) and people enjoy drinking in the kitchen at night. The one downside is that people can get pretty loud, since the kitchen closes at midnight, it never really disrupts sleep unless you tend to go to sleep pretty early. There's free wifi, which is really nice, but it doesn't work too well when everyone's on it (mostly in the evenings). Overall United Backpackers is a really nice & clean hostel with friendly people and a great location - would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Some rooms have A/C, but they're a bit more expensive.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
JM_travels_sometimes, Manager at United Backpackers Melbourne, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Hi Christina W!

Thanks so much for your kind words and taking the time to leave your feedback - we love hearing about it when people enjoy United as much as we do!

Our amazing clean team work around the clock to keep the hostel super clean and tidy (seriously there is someone here almost 24 hours a day!) and we work hard to create a fun and sociable atmosphere by hosting lots of free events throughout the week (and super comfortable if you do just want to chill in a beanbag)! Our amazing location makes it super easy to get out and around the city - we're right in the thick of things eh? Yep the wifi does struggle a little at peak times - and we are working on ways to improve this as I type!

We'd love to see you back here sometime soon!
Vorselaar, België
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Relatively clean, much cleaner than other hostels apparently. Pretty cheap Awesome staff, great location right in the heart of Melbourne. Free Wifi (which doesn't work to well) They do activities every day, some are more successful than other, but I'd definitely recommend the pubcrawl and citywalk!
All in all I'm very satisfied, the only downsides are the lack of a washing room (the plans are there to build one) and that the result of free wifi is that everyone's constantly busy on their phone or laptop...

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Hello!

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback - it's much appreciated! You're right - our location is right in the heart of Melbourne and the perfect base to explore this amazing city from! Just quietly I think we have some of the best staff in the business and our events program (which is constantly evolving - watch this space!) is a great way to get out and meet people (who aren't taking advantage of the free wifi!)

Like you said - our laundry room is currently under construction and will hopefully be completed soon!

Hurworth-on-Tees, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stopped here over the F1 weekend and really enjoyed it.

The hostel is lacking a few key facilities but what it does have are good.

Pros
Modern new kitchen, bedrooms,bathrooms and tv room
Comfy beds
Allowed to drink in the common areas.
Free wifi in common areas that is good enough for browsing although don't be expecting to download anything large on it. Can also use the wifi in some of the bedrooms on floor 1 and 2
Fantastic location

Cons
No aircon (could get very hot I imagine during the height of summer)
No laundry yet

Once the laundry is up and running the hostel will be great.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Michael L,

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts about United Backpackers! We're glad that there was lots you loved about your stay. GP weekend eh? Probably the busiest and most buzzing weekend of the year - and our location makes it easy to enjoy all of that doesn't it?!

We do have AC in a limited number of rooms located on the third floor and our laundry room is in the process of being built - hopefully it will be done soon (we need it too!). In the meantime the closest laundry is just a 5 minute ride on the free tram or a 15 minute walk.

I hope you enjoyed your F1 weekend. Come back and visit us (and the amazing city of Melbourne) soon!

United Backpackers

Been to United Backpackers Melbourne? Share your experiences!