Originally booked this hostel for just 3 nights as there was not very many reviews but we extended and would of extended more if we didn't have plans to move on.
The hostel only opened on the Friday as we arrived on the Monday so we got a special price for the first few nights but even when the price went up slightly it was still well worth it!!
It's in a perfect location on Flinders St right across from the train station and the trams (the free sightseeing tram stops outside too) so it's easy to get around with what ever your plans are. There are lots of places to eat nearby and the side streets are really querky. Shops are close by too and you can walk to many things nearby.
We travelled as a couple and had bunk beds in a 10 bed dorm, beds were really comfy and the toilet/shower facilities were really clean and available when needed. They have a massive kitchen with fridges and shelves to store your food/drink. Although was everything before you use it as backpackers aren't the cleanest of people!! ha!! WIFI was available but doesn't work very well when everyone is logged in!! There is another floor of rooms currently being finished and a bar in the basement due to open.
We attended the hostels first night out to St Kilda to watch the sunset, see the penguins and drink beer :-) which was good.
Would definitely recommend a stay here!!!
- Also Known As:
- Elephant Backpackers Hotel
- Elephant Backpackers Hotel Melbourne
- Elephant Backpackers
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- OPENING DECEMBER 2013 - Come join the fun & excitement at Melbourne’s newest backpackers! Opposite Flinders Station & on the most happening laneway in town, our location is unbeatable but the vibe is even better!At United Backpackers we look after our travellers with modern, sparkling clean & funky facilities, unique experiences, fantastic staff, top notch security and the best pillows in town! Not only are we the newest and coolest hostel in Melbourne, we offer great value for money and an awesome vibe, all right in the heart of Melbourne! If you are looking for something a bit different and a whole lot of fun, then get booking!Us in a nutshell:• Accommodation for 300 superstar travellers in shared & private rooms over 3 levels • 24 Reception manned with a rock star reception team of Melbourne locals• FREE Wi-Fi in common areas • Brand new, sparking clean bathrooms cleaned around the clock• Fantastic new designer kitchen with ovens and heaps of equipment, hot plates and storage• Light & bright dining & common room with huge windows and great views • Funky TV/Chill Out Lounge with lots of cushions and free DVD hire available• Top class security with swipe card access, lockers in all rooms & CCTV • Cool free events to show you the real Melbourne experience! • A travel desk and help with jobs• We love creativity and the laneway culture so you’ll find lots of cool street art evolving around the building! • Opening Early 2014 - Bar United, our funky basement bar ACCOMMODATION We have a variety of accommodation options to choose from so whether you are looking to share a dorm from 4 to 12 beds filled with your newest friends, or to splash out on one of our private ensuite rooms, you will find it at United Backpackers! All rooms have: • Lockers• Bedside light with power point for your charging pleasure• Lots of space• High quality beds and linen • Choose between shared or ensuite bathrooms • Swipe card access• Heating & fans (private ensuite rooms have AC)• Cleaning servicing the rooms daily ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelBookers and Asiatravel.com Holdings so you can book your United Backpackers Melbourne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.