“Renovated... Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Melbourne - Flinders Street

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Melbourne - Flinders Street to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Melbourne - Flinders Street
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   270 Flinders Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Formerly Citigate Melbourne)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
20% off Opening Special
Ranked #98 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
“Renovated... Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I booked this Hilton prior to opening, after the other Melbourne Hilton changed banners. I am a Hilton Diamond member and was expecting a potential upgrade or service improvement (which is a perk of the tier).... Arrived - there is no valet parking, or parking anywhere nearby so expect a walk if you have to come by.

No offer of an upgrade or anything. I was charged breakfast - even though we didn't have breakfast one of the days (check your receipts!!). As a diamond member you should receive free breakfast too! I will stick with what I know in future and avoid this brand.

Stayed February 2015

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Doubletree on Flinders street was clean, comfortable and quiet. If you want luxury or a view this is not the place for you, but it had everything I needed for a short business trip. Location and staff were excellent.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed for 6 nights mid March and had a wonderful stay. Check in was very pleasant & capable with Shrima . Loved the warm cookie on arrival (much appreciated after a flight). I was given a stunning room overlooking Flinders Station - great views. The bed was totally amazing - great sleep every night. The décor of the room was restful & spotlessly clean. Loved the bathroom & the big wash basin. Plenty of room to put my toiletries. I dined in the dining room twice and the food was devine, service impeccable, good wine. The fish meal was so nice - just what I needed. I found all the staff extremely helpful,always a nice smile & very capable. They even helped me with a taxi before a show. I strongly recommend this hotel - I will be back. I personally loved the décor of the lobby - very trendy. This hotel is in a great area - so easy to explore the city & catch a bus from Federation Square. Easy walking distance to Southbank etc. Thank you all for a lovely stay :-)

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Given that the hotel is situated opposite Flinders station, I expected it to be noisy at night. Surprisingly, my room was absolutely quiet even though I was right next to the elevators. This is definitely a bonus!

The hotel & restaurant staff is very friendly and professional. The room is quite spacious with a nice modern touch in the decor. Bathroom is nice and big.

On the lower end, I did find it inconvenient that the desk was very narrow, not deep enough to put my laptop and work comfortably. Also, the air conditioning system did not seem to be working properly.

Overall, great place. Definitely recommend it.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Noida, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I was on a business trip to Melbourne and booked this hotel as there were two nice things attached to it.
1. Excellent Location
2. Name of Hilton
And it turned out that those were the only two good things. Its not a hotel its average hostel. The picture of the room they have posted is only resembles few rooms. Most of other rooms do not have a practical window (You can see in the picture below). There is no closet where you can hang your clothes. table is so small that if you put your laptop on it you can hardly do anything else. I have never seen a smaller bathroom in a hotel than this. Its not a hotel its more like a hostel.

House keeping in this hotel only means tucking your bed only. If you have spread around your stuff then don't worry, you will get it exactly as messy as you left. I mentioned this to the manager in-charge and he said thats the way we work here.

And to give the perfect finish to this trip, they charged me for Internet, and breakfast while both the things were inclusive in my rate. When I tried to explain them person on duty has a simple reply. Its not in my system and I can't help you. Only when I could show them the e-mail of my booking he could get those charge off. Not to mention the person on the reception was so rude as if I am staying in the room for free.

Never ever in my life I am going to stay in a DoubleTree again.

Room Tip: Never take room with 03 i.e. 503, 603 etc. as they do not have any source of natural light
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
CF-MELFS, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Melbourne - Flinders Street, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear VijaySharma_CFA,

Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor regarding your recent trip to Melbourne during the Cricket World Cup.

I appreciate your feedback and regret that you left the hotel short of the satisfaction we strive to deliver each and every guest. It is our ultimate goal to ensure every guest has a thoroughly enjoyable experience and to make good any dissatisfaction prior to departure.

I am sorry to read that the booked room did not meet your expectations. The hotel offers a range of room configurations. It appears from your photo that a standard room was booked and the image taken is at night time, hence no natural light.

With regards to servicing your room, while housekeeping conduct a full clean on a daily basis, we are careful not to touch personal belongings to avoid any damage or miss placement of such items.

I do apologise that that team did not acknowledge your complimentary breakfast. Unfortunately only Gold and Diamond Hilton HHonors members currently receive complimentary internet in guest rooms while all guests may make use of complimentary wifi in our lobby and business centre.

It is dissapointing to read that we fell short on this occasion and I do apologise. I would recommend against considering the street on a future visit and encourage you to contact myself directly if I can be of assistance.

I trust your trip back to India will be a safe one.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Very handy location, nice new rooms. The cheaper 'inside' rooms are just right for a one night business trip, when you don't care about the view (or lack of) but do want a quiet and comfortable space to get a good nights sleep.

The check-in and out process needs some work. It may look cool to share the check-in space with the bar, but it can get a little confusing when there are a few people waiting. Tip for the hotel: pehaps better signage or some rope guides? Tip for guests: make sure you catch the eye of a staff member!

Room Tip: Cheaper 'inside' rooms are nice and quiet, but don't have a view.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
CF-MELFS, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Melbourne - Flinders Street, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear CanberraLad,

Many thanks for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to read that your stay with us was an enjoyable one.

I appreciate your comments regarding our joint reception and bar desk and are pleased to advise that some subtle changes have recently been made to ensure the visual separation of these areas is more obvious. As well as some interior decoration changes we have also placed some internal ropes to designate a specific Hilton HHonors check-in area at the join between reception and the lobby bar. This has certainly assisted to seperate both areas.

I'm glad to read that you loved our internal room offering with Historic Melbourne lightbox and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Melbourne.

USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Good location. Looks like the DoubleTree is new to this site and that there is still construction/building modifications going on.
The front desk is behind a bar - it's a creative concept and I like it - if only the front desk staff had a clue about what they're doing. Diamond status was not recognized and I was initially given a room prepared for three people (it even had a removable cot in it as if it were prepared for a family with kids staying in same room). Imagine I was told it was the only room left. I was going out for meetings so when Ii returned 4 hours later there was a new room ready for me. Best part about it was the bathroom, which I found to be well done.
Breakfast in the lobby restaurant was nice.
When I checked out the manager said the phone system had crashed so they're having calls redirected to someone's mobile phone. So as you can see the place is still getting up and running, and does have potential, so next time I'm in town I may give it another chance to see if they're ready for the prime time.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Dear _Mundo_Traveler_11,

Thank your choosing to stay with us at DoubleTree by Hilton Melbourne - Flinders Street. I appreciate you taking the time to post on TripAdvisor.

It is pleasing to read that on the whole, you experienced an enjoyable stay. I do very much appreciate your comments regarding reception and will review with my Front Office Manager. In an effort to continually improve, we have recently employed a few new team members on the front desk and are working to bring them up to the level you as a loyal DoubleTree traveller have come to expect.

I do hope that we will see you back in Melbourne at some point in the not too distant future.

Clinton Farley

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Melbourne - Flinders Street? Share your experiences!