“Dont stay at Citigate” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Citigate Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Citigate Melbourne to your Saves list
Citigate Melbourne
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   270 Flinders Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Formerly Ramada Melbourne)   |
Ranked #79 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Hobart, Australia
“Dont stay at Citigate”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I booked one nights stay at Citigate Melbourne through wotif. The hotel looked great on the site and seemed very reasonable considering it was close to everything. When I arrived the noise from next doors renovations was terrible, the tv didn't drown the noise. when I asked if I could change rooms it was stated that all levels of the hotel was experiencing the noise. 7am on a Saturday the noise and drilling began. This hotel was disappointing. I would NEVER stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Justin J, Director of Sales at Citigate Melbourne, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Hello and thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your understanding whilst we work with the developers within the Flinders Street precinct on this very short term project. I am upset to hear that you will not return, however being located in the CBD of Melbourne leaves us very little control over external noise, with the project coming to a conclusion in a matter of weeks.

687 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Excellent helpful friendly staff. Central location and value for money. First choice whenever I stay in Melbourne and annoyed if booked out. Later checkout is helpful as is 24 hour reception. The restaurants just around the corner and two blocks away are handy as is the train station across the road. In Room Wi Fi versus connected internet is only suggestion.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Hi there Todd, thank you for your kind words! We take pride in our services and amenities within the property in amongst our fantastic location in Melbourne CBD. Stay tuned in relation to WiFi as we will be working on this project going forward, not forgetting that we currently offer this free of charge in the Lobby. We look forward to your next visit!
Canberra
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

About me: I am a nurse who went down to Melbourne to watch a ballet. This information is sort of important in letting you understand that my tolerance for the completely disgusting is quite high. Yet, at the same time, I start seeing germs nearly everywhere if some thing IS out of place.

Booked Citigate via Qantas at a sale price.

The Good:
Location - very close, right next to Flinders station.

The reception - I arrived way early as my flights had to be changed for some thing else and they kindly let me checked into my room early (there was an option to hold my bags for me, otherwise, so I could go shopping). which was fantastic!

The okay:
Corner room with no view - Personally i view this as a plus, but some people might not like it. I really appreciated the quiet and the dark as I just came off a night shift prior to my "holiday". As my window led out to another building's roof top or something, covered buy some other stuff, it was dark. However, that allowed me to have a good snooze after my quick shopping trip.

Dated building and rooms -I am ok with this, barely affected my rest really. Some have said that the chairs are dirty and mine LOOKS dirty. After looking at the chairs, i realised it's because of the colouring of the upholstery. They just need to be changed as they turn darker when bits get worn down.

Average mattresses - I wasn't looking for fluffy princess beds, however their "queen" bed was 2 singles put together. standard practice, i get it. but the edges of these 2 singles were quite hard and a shock if you tend to roll around in your bed when you sleep.

The most disgusting and horrible thing that entirely ruined my trip:
When I first got my room I checked the bathroom straight away, because I brought some stuff to have a relaxing bath on my trip - it's a present to myself after the end of my week's worth of night shift and i wasn't going to change that just because I wasn't home. However, there was no plug.

The moment I walked in, i found 2 strands of pubic hair on the floor. As I said before, I am a nurse, I don't get queasy over pubic hair. However, if you have ONE pubic hair on the floor even, how can you say you have cleaned the room properly?

I brushed my hair, thereby dropping some near the door of the bathroom, went down to tell the reception and got ready to go out. I was given the option of having another room or to have it clean. I just told them to clean it. I could hear the guy telling the cleaners to clean the hairs off the floor in my room.

However, when i got back, they HAVE cleaned MY HAIR off the floor, BUT THE PUBIC HAIRS WERE STILL THERE! they only swept around the door where my hair was!!!! By then, I was really exhausted. I went down to reception one more time, who called the cleaners again to meet me at my room. The poor guy apologised for what isn't his fault (i.e. irresponsible cleaners) and i went back to my room and waited. I was so tired, I told them to just give me the gloves if that was so hard.

The cleaner came and asked if i had a problem in my room. I indicated that there was still pubic hair on the FLOOR. she went in and looked in the BATH TUB asking WHERE. Floor does not equate bath tub! when i pointed out to her, she picked it up, opened the door with that same hand holding the pubic hair AND DROPPED IT. being a black carpet, i couldn't see where the hair went.

i was so exhausted, i gave up. I didn't dare have my bath even though they brought the plug up to me. Do you have any idea how disgusting the idea that your cleaners can't clean a bath room properly is?

Besides that one guy at the reception, no one else apologised. YOUR CLEANERS did not apologise for that. I have stayed in many Accor hotels in the past 2-3 years, while I have never experienced some thing like this level of disgusting - perhaps this is a turn in your business?

Room Tip: Check your rooms entirely when you check in. don't unpack yet in case you have to change rooms b...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Justin J, Director of Sales at Citigate Melbourne, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Hello and thank you for your feedback. I am concerned at the experience you received whilst staying at Citigate Melbourne and would like to discuss the matter with you in person if possible. Can I please ask you to contact the hotel directly on 03 - 9654 6888 and ask for the Sales Manager Justin Jones.
Bargara, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Reception staff were excellent but unfortunately we were not told on booking OR checkin that there was construction next door which may impact on our sleepin! Or room was on 4th floor right next to a new building under construction. The room was dark and overshadowed by the building next door and they started work at 7am on Saturday morning! We asked if we could be moved but as they were fully booked, this could not happen. We weren't worried about Sunday morning but did not want to have the same noise issue on Monday morning! Fortunately the staff were excellent and we we were moved into a front room on 10th floor so did not have any noise issues. I am an Accor member and booked online and there was nothing to say that there was construction next door, and I had not been notified prior or even on checkin.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Citigate Melbourne. We endevour to provide you with the best levels of service and am glad that we were able to move you to a higher floor. Noting the refurbishment going on within proximity to the building, we are working with the developers closely to minimize the noise where possible on this very short term project. We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you for your loyalty via the Accor programs.
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Nice room with large bath room. Chairs in room needed spot cleaning. Bedding nice, though booked a queen room and were put in a king! with ridge in centre from joining two singles.
Breakfast in continental was adequate and expected more from Citigate brand. Limited choice of cereal, fruit plain and no sweet muffins to compliment the danishes.

Evening meals were very nice and good value.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Justin J, Director of Sales at Citigate Melbourne, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We en devour to exceed guest expectations at Citigate Melbourne and will follow up with our service team on our breakfast presentation. Feedback good or bad is always widely accepted at the property in order to give the best possible feeling of a home away from home.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Awesome location, handy to everything. Right on the tram line, across from Flinders Street station and walking distance to everything. Nice and quiet. Comfortable beds and clean rooms. We will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

The team at Citigate Melbourne look forward to you coming back! It is great to hear that the location suits your needs, but most importantly the level of comfort surpassed your needs. See you next time.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Had a great stay here. Even though we were on Flinders st, no traffic noise. Romms were spacious, but understandably looked into other buildings. Breakfast was fantastic and the concierge couldn't have been more helpful. Would stay here again and would definately recommend to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Hi Rosie, thank you for your kind words and feedback - we are very proud of our hotel staff here at Citigate Melbourne and pride ourselves on service and offering. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Been to Citigate Melbourne? Share your experiences!