“very trendy, but worth the effort” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
London
“very trendy, but worth the effort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Another 'industrial chic' dining experience: high ceilings, exposed aircon and cabling, noisy noisy NOISY.

Don't get me wrong, the food is exceptional, but it just feels a bit too cool for school if you know what I mean. The staff all have edgy, high maintenance hair styles and look like they've just stepped out of Dazed and Confused; there's a LOT of people watching going on; and the place gets packed out with shouting trendies VERY quickly. As it does fill up so fast it's worth getting there early to minimise waiting time.

That said, I'll definitely be back as I had a major case of food envy! I had the shrimp rice dish with sweet pork and it was a taste sensation, bursting with zingy flavours (I've used this expression before, but it's really the best way to sum up this new wave of asian fusion cuisine), it was utterly moorish and I could easily have eaten the same again. My friends had: musuman curry (rich and sensuous), cuttle fish (crisp and fresh), Pad Thai (bursting with zingy flavours again!). All very nice.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Indonesian first
Australia
“Yummy - vegan options”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Never been to a place that is full at 5:30pm on a Sunday!!! Tried the tofu salad, the DIY spring rolls, roti and a coconut slushie (each day is different). The pick of the 4 options we tried was the DIY spring rolls, roti and the slushie was really yummy. We didn't try the dessert but they did look nice.

Will go back, but make sure we get there early (heard on the way out - approx 6:00pm - that a walk up of 3 would have to wait 1 hour).

Tip: worth asking for a seat at the bar as a way to skip the queue.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
sydney
“A Knock-out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Buzzy, crazy, casual, flirty and adorable spot with energy to burn. We went for a late lunch and sat at the kitchen "bar". The waitstaff were very well informed and gave us excellent recommendations, which we followed. We kicked off with a great house pinot gris and shared Kingfish Sashimi with lime, chilli, coconut and Thai basil. WOW. We moved onto the super fresh and perfectly executed Green Papaya salad accompanied by Goat Curry (trust me, slow-roasted for 24hrs and then bbq'd). So delicious. Can't wait to return.

Visited November 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Being an Asian, I was a bit skeptical about Chin Chin. I didn't want to pay the inflated price to eat westernised version of Asian dishes that don't taste as nice but I was pleasantly surprised. The curries were so good and fragrant. We ordered 4 dishes and they all lived up to our expectations. Service was good. The only bad thing about this place is the booking and the waiting. You are not allowed to sit at your booked table until your whole group arrive (we had no problem waiting at the bar downstairs which was cool but it could be a little bit annoying maybe for some people). I will go definitely go back to Chin Chin. It's a fun place and the food is really good. It's a good place to have dinner on weekends with close friends.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Griffith, Australia
“Eat all u can as you may not get back in there! Chin Chin!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

This is such a hard restaurant to get into ! I have tried 4 times (I'm not from Melbourne). It was 6pm Friday night and a 3hr wait!! The guy on the door though (bless him) helped us out and sat us down.

Food is tasty and if u like sashimi definitely try the kingfish - it's awesome. Fried sardines were pretty great too. Best to go with a couple of people so you can sample a few dishes. Staff are friendly. The tables are too little as once u get a few dishes you have no room on your table for drinks ect which is a bit annoying. It was Friday night and it was packed. Might try lunch next time - that's if u can get in.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere