“week end in Melbourne” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melbourne Metro YHA

You added Melbourne Metro YHA to your Saves list
Melbourne Metro YHA
78 Howard St., Melbourne, Victoria 3051, Australia (Formerly Queensberry Hill YHA) (North Melbourne)   |
Ranked #35 of 112 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
“week end in Melbourne”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

good points: quiet because it's not in the center. Just a 15 min walk from the center and 5min walk form victoria market. Nice staff and very helpfull. Nice view from the rooftop and friendly atmosphere as many people gather up there in the evening. Clean bathroom. And frankly that's all i need: Clean and quiet hostel

bad point: not enough plug in in the room. I was in a 8 female share room and we just had 3 plug in. We should have one plug in close to the light bed so everyone has his own plug in.

I would definetly recommend the Melbourne Metro YHA and while you are in melbourne take advantage to do a great ocean road day tour :) A must seen !!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

excellent accommodation, clean rooms and very helpful staff. I recommend to go the terrace on top of the building you will have a great view from there. It is a bit outside of city centre and the kitchen is too small for all the people but apart of that I really recommend to stay there.

Room Tip: YHA is the only kind of hostel that I can recommend for Australia (at least for people over 25) clea...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

Had a great stay in this hostel.

Good points :
- clean
- close to victoria market
- calm
- rooftop
- not very expensive

Bad points :
- many people so hard meet people ( except the one in your room)
- have to walk a bit to reach the cbd ( 15 min)

Definitely recommand this hostel to stay in melbourne !

• Stayed February 2013
Albury, NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed here last weekend for a guys weekend away in Melbourne, we probably only spent a total of 6hours in the place.

Reception was great, helpful and very friendly, hassle free check in/out.

We requested parking, and were lucky to get it as there is only about 10 parking spots, but I cant complain as my car was secured all night, stress free.

Bathrooms/toilets were ok. The showers were pretty crappy, VERY tiny, but plenty of hot water. Toilets were ample, never had to wait to use either. They were reasonably clean.

The rooms were fine. The usual hostel, bunk beds, a shelf/cupboard each, and a table in the room. Pillow was horrible, I have seen fuller pancakes in my time. Also my sheets had very suspicious stains, which was not very pleasant.

Rooms were quiet enough, other than the usual hallway bangs and clangs that go on.

All in all not bad, i'm just lucky I was a little inebriated which helped me fall asleep on the crappy bed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Darwin, Queensland, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The only reason this hostel gets two stars is 1. Because it looks nice (rooms as well) and 2. Because the bathrooms are good, theres always a shower free, plenty of toilets, sinks etc. I was let down by literally everything else, I also don't know why this place has a lot of good reviews!
The kitchen seems to be something that a lot of people have complained about and I echo these complaints, it is way too small for the hostel size and it always messy, people never wash anything up and you have to rummage through the dirty stuff to find what you need half the time.
Plus it's always horribly busy and overcrowded. On first looks it looks like they have loads of space for food as they have about 6 fridges, but yet again, due to how many people were staying there, there was absolutely no room for my food bag, so I had to really squash it inside. My final point about the kitchen is that when I finally did find room and a stove to cook on, I found out it didn't work, neither of the rings were getting hot and so I had to stand there for ages with all my food out, waiting until someone else was done.
Also, the staff dont really tell you anything when you turn up. Most hostels I've stayed in the staff tell you what there is to do, where things are in the hostel etc, this place, no, I had to ask where the kitchen was, where to go to get to the city, what is there to do, because they didn't tell me anything. The place is so expensive too! They love draining you of any cash you might have, first of all, it's no where near worth 30 odd dollars a night! when I went down to do my laundry, I ended up spending 6 dollars just to wash a couple of things. and the wifi is the biggest joke ever, seriously, DO NOT waste your money on this, I paid 10 dollars for 3 days, and got on the Internet twice, pages are unbelievably slow to load, it can't load YouTube, Facebook, Skype, or anything, and when it does connect, it lasts for 2 minutes, and then you get cut off again.
On my last day I needed to use a computer so I could print off my flight tickets etc, and was once again disappointed by then inability to do this simple task. In every other hostel I have stayed in, literally every single one, the Internet has either been free, or it's been 1 dollar for 15 minutes, which is fine if you just need to do something quickly like print off your flight documents, not the YHA though, I said, I only need it for 5 minutes, but they staff member said, nope, you can only use it for 1 hour and that costs 5 dollars. Plus they don't even have a printer there.
So I was then told to walk to the library and do it there.
Thanks YHA for a very low quality 5 days.
I won't be using your hostels, or recommending them to anyone I know.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hostel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I just don't know why there are so many excellent reviews for this hostel. It was so noisy even for a family room. The banging of the doors kept us awake almost all nights. We got little sleep while we stayed here. Don't say some boys and girls talked quite loudly in the corridor on the first night. That is why they have earplugs to purchased at the reception.
The kitchen was dirty in the evening.
One gain is that all staffs are very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: just don't stay here
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Penang Island, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This YHA is sightly at the outskirts of the city, so for first timer, it is advisable to use airport shuttle as they provide free transfer to this YHA. Cheaper tickets if buy return and further savings if travel in group (4 and more). Always ask if any discount when you travel in group of 4 and more.

We arrived at 10.30am and had to keep our stuff in the lockers as check in time was 1pm. Took a family room with attached bathroom. Room is spacious, clean. Towels and coffee making facilities were provided.

Staff (Aimee) was helpful as she helped us to call the tour agency company when we realized the pick point for our following day tour was wrong (noted error at the very last minute and near office closing time) It was stated at YHA Central instead of YHA Metro.

YHA has daily activities for their guests. The one I like best is Free Shuttle service to St Kilda on Friday. There is an Anglican Church directly opposite YHA and less than 100m is a Catholic Church. Queen Victoria Market is about 15 mins walk away. A local mini mart is about 10 mins walk. Get the local map from YHA reception counter.

This YHA is rather busy. Lots of house guests. Kitchen cooking space is small and cramped and most guests never seem to clean up after using the pots, pans, plates etc..If no more cutleries, you may have to wash up the ones dumped in the sink. As cooking is not an option (so crowded), we buy ready to eat items or cook items using microwave. Fridge is huge but never seem to have space to store your leftovers.

Internet is expensive. About AUD8 for 24 hours usage. Expensive to me since I use for few hours only as I am on holiday, on tour daily and not in the YHA at most times.

Other than the messy kitchen, which is cleaned up overnight, I dont mind staying here again. Wish I could rate this YHA 3.5 (above average, but no such option) My holiday in Australia has been amazing with beautiful memories to treasure.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Melbourne Metro YHA? Share your experiences!