“Good stay, kitchen let it down” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melbourne Metro YHA

Save Saved
You added Melbourne Metro YHA to your Saves list
Melbourne Metro YHA
78 Howard St., Melbourne, Victoria 3051, Australia (Formerly Queensberry Hill YHA) (North Melbourne)   |
Ranked #19 of 109 Specialty lodging in Melbourne
“Good stay, kitchen let it down”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in several dorms whilst there including 4,6 & 8. They all where very nice with plenty of space. Bathrooms where very good lots of showers so never had to wait.
KITCHEN was a big let down. It was a mess. No one cleaned up after themselves or put rubbish in the bin. Hobs where electric & took forever to get warm. Fridges where ok but hardly any space when hostel got full.
Staff where very helpful but reception was always busy and had to wait.
Overall stay was good and would recommend if wanting to stop a little bit out of the city.

• Stayed January 2013

123 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Hamburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We had a double ensuite, not new but clean and functional. The common kitchen and dining area were stressful because they got loud and overcrowded. Kitchen equipment was missing or dirty thanks to other fellow guests who did not tidy up after themselves. The hostel is in a quiet area, so we got a good night's sleep.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

I stayed here a few weeks ago, I hate to rate it down because it has great rooftop view, great extra facilities and awesome staff! however, I found it pretty inconvenient as far as location goes. I had to transfer at two different trains/trams to get to central, and once you get off the tram it's difficult to find! I ended up getting lost and walking the wrong way with only an hour or so to go 'till my concert and no one seemed to no where it was! I got there in the end fortunately! Because of the location and being at that time of night I had to get a taxi and was very expensive! Also, not many shops or anything around. Hostel was also not the cheapest, stayed in a 8 dorm room (very plain) and was more expensive than a 6 bed dorm at a more convenient location. Good that it's quiet and out of the way, but hard to find! I like the facilities and the staff were the friendliest I've experienced, so it's a shame that the location and price is a let down for me.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed in an ensuite double which was comfy but more expensive than the more modern st kilda hotel we had just left. Room had a fan which was used as the temps reached 37 whilst we were here. The rooftop terrace was a great place to hang out and see the city light up at night. we even saw fruit bats flying over at twilight. The first night we didn't sleep so well as the family next to us had screaming children awake so acoustics were not a strong point. Functional vibe to the communal areas. Lots of school trips using the pace. We did wander down to North Melbourne shops one evening which was a really pleasant place to be on a summer's evening. wide leafy streets and tables out under verandahs and plenty of dining options.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We spent 6 nights in an ensuite double. These rooms are in a separate area on the ground floor ao noise wasn't an issue even though 3 or 4 school groups stayed while we were there. Room is small but adequate, queen size bed, tiny analog TV, all linen, kettle, tea and coffee provided.

After cleanliness and security I rate hostels on their common areas and these were very good: ground floor lounge with comfy couches, large dining area, two separate TV lounges and a rooftop lounge and outdoor bbq as well. Very pleasant. Kitchen ok, can get crowded at peak times (and never any teaspoons, must be a hostel thing). There's also a coffee shop that does cheap & cheerful breakfasts (beans on toast $5) and dinners (schnitzel & chips $10).

Staff helpful & happy to chat but usually very busy. Guests apart from school groups were mostly young overseas backpackers with a fair few baby boomers like us mixed in ( very common at YHA these days).

Wi-fi $7.95 per day (I think), $19.95 for 3 days or $39.95 for 7. Good connection & speed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

big thanks to the YHA for accommodating me in a 4 bed dorm by myself!!
I was staying in the city because I was being a marshal on the Ride to conquer cancer and had to be up at 4:15am!! I requested to be by myself if possible because I didn't want to disturb others getting up so early and they helped out so Big Thanks Guys!! i stayed on 26 OCT paid $28.50 YHA rates I think it is now about $33 YHA member rates.

the bathroom and common areas and bedrooms are all very clean and most important there were heaps of power points in the room so I had my GPS, My IPad and my phone all charging up at once, bonus.
thanks for a quiet restful stay at the YHA!!
My tip for dinner The Leveson a 6 min walk down the road, such yummy food!!!

Room Tip: 1 ST floor at the back nice and quiet if you like your sleep!! There is even a bath tub on this floo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed at the Melbourne Metro YHA for 2 nights when I was in Melbourne. This is not the most amazing backpacker I've ever seen, but it is still really good. The staff was professional and helpful.
I stayed in a 4-shared female room. What I've thought when I first opened the door of the room is: "It is small !!". And, indeed, the rooms are not to big. I mean, I really don't know how it is possible to have 4 big luggages in the room at the same time. Thanksfully, my roomates and myself were traveling with backpacks which made movement in the room possible. My bed was comfy and there is a readind lamp which is really useful. In the room there are lockers for valuables, which is also a good point.
No shower towel is provided at chek-in. The bathrooms are huge and clean but no hair-dryer for ladies.
The lounge and the kitchen area at the ground level are really nice and there is a lot of space for everyone. If you don't want to cook, there is a café, integrated to the kitchen, that offers cheap breakfast, lunch and diner.
The rooftop is one of the assets of the hostel. There is a BBQ and you can easily relax and chill out. The view on Melbourne CBD is amazing too!
You can walk from the YHA to the city center (30min app) but there is also a tram stop close to the hostel. Reception can also arrange you some pick-up to the airport with Skybus.

This is not a party hostel which does NOT mean you cannot meet new people and make friends. On the contrary you can meet a lot of different people from various countries AND enjoy quiet nights. Isn't it the perfect match?

I would definitely recommend staying at Melbourne Metro YHA, even if it is quite expensive.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Melbourne Metro YHA? Share your experiences!