“Comfortable, clean and great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The City Square Motel

Save Saved
You added The City Square Motel to your Saves list
The City Square Motel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   67 Swanston St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #109 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Mena Creek, Australia
“Comfortable, clean and great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

First impression as we lugged baggage down the narrow mirrored passageway to the tiny reception office at the end was "Gawd, what have we here!". Receptionist was welcoming and friendly enough...then came the lift (elevator)...rather old and clunky with doors that would take a limb off if you weren't quick enough. Wound our way through the paint-chipped passageway to our room on the fourth floor.
What a pleasant surprise! nice comfy beds, a walk-in robe and kitchenette leading to a very clean and serviceable bathroom.
The fridge had fresh bread, butter and spreads for a first-morning light breakfast as well as the standard tea/coffee making facilities and a microwave.
Oddly, there were double windows (almost double glazing) which could both be opened to look outside into Swanston Street, which was a blessing since the windows looked like they had not been cleaned in years. No matter
A huge flat screen TV on the wall for those who want TV, but this was Melbourne and to we country folk there was much outside waiting for us....
We stayed three nights and enjoyed the comforts and cleanliness the room had to offer, not to mention the very central location of this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

This motel is located rather inconspicuously in the Melbourne CBD, but spot the sign and you're in for a real find! For a motel, it is indeed value for money. The location was ideal for me as most of my activities and meetings took place in the Melbourne CBD - it was nice to make my way back after a long day and find that it isn't far away at all. Travelling around by tram was most convenient for me.

The room was cosy (albeit a little small - I took a single occupancy room), with heating for the winter and air-conditioning for the summer. The bed was comfortable to sleep on, and kept very clean. I was pleasantly surprised to find a toaster and microwave in the room (not something typical of motels), which made it easy to heat up food. A flat screen TV made for a pleasant TV viewing experience. There was also a telephone which made it convenient for me to make local calls. The walls are thin, though, so I could hear an occasional noise outside, but it wasn't in the least bothersome. But because I went in winter, I'm not sure how the noise levels will be in the summer.

The bathroom was kept very clean, although one can tell that it isn't new. Empty shelves were provided. Towels were very clean too. Service was excellent, especially from housekeeping. In my haste, I forgot to remove my "Do Not Disturb" sign when I left my room in the mornings, and when I returned at night, I found a bag containing towels neatly folded, a new trash bag to line the dustbin, and next morning's breakfast (which was two slices of bread - spreads such as jam and Vegemite were provided in the room). I found that to be thoughtful and excellent service for a motel!

I'll definitely make City Square Motel one of my top value-for-money options on a future visit to Melbourne.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

Despite looking like a shabby backpacker at the front entrance, the rooms & bathroom were surprisingly clean & spacious. Although we couldn't hear the noise outside, the rooms are not well sound-proofed and we could hear (quite clearly) chatter and baby crying in the next room & corridor.

A major let down was the poor service there - after check out we left our bag with the receptionist, who said they were closing at 6pm. We went there at 5.45pm only to find the reception closed with no signs at all. With a plane to catch we had to phone the emergency number and wait to locate somebody who had a reception key. Luckily we'd decided to leave for the airport early - if we had planned to be there right on time we would've missed our flight. This is a budget motel so expect no more than budget service.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
tasmania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

I have stayed here about six times now and this place does not dissappoint. Always a room available for $79 a single, right in the heart of melbourne on Swanston street. No traffic noise as you are right off the street with reception ground floor and two lifts with rooms on floors above. Solid construction so you don't here any noise from other rooms. Yes lifts are a bit slow but at least they always work. Staff and manager are all lovely no and thing is a hassle. They will store your luggage in a very secure area for free. Entrance to building is by key code, very safe if travelling alone. Also a light breakfast is included but you wouldn't bother with so many great cafes and restaurants just so close. I have recommended this hotel to my boss and friends and they all stay there now.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

Don't be put off by the lack of street appeal of this great motel. We loved the central location and found the amenities provided everything we needed for a comfortable 8 night stay. All the staff were very helpful and friendly. If you are a light sleeper you might prefer a room that doesn't face Swanston Street, as it is a bit noisy - although it must be said that we stayed during Comedy Festivel Week and there was a lot happening downton.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

We booked the City Square Motel largely due to the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. We found the room to be of a good size with very comfortable beds and clean linen. The bathroom was clean and adequate as was the tea and coffee making facilities. The light breakfast lacked a little presentation and creativity (brown bread would be nice) and the room could do with a little maintenance and repainting. We had a great view from our window but the glass and frame itself was cracked and dirty. Nice flat screen television. The hotel staff were friendly and welcoming but I felt a bit sorry for them in their tiny box-like reception area. The reception itself, from the horrible yellow plastic City Square Motel sign outside, to their unattractive entry and basement-like desk space, isn't very appealing to any traveller. With just a little refurbishment the hotel could be a much nicer place to walk into after a long flight or day's outing as it has the makings of an old charming building. On saying that, the hotel is budget-priced and its main draw-card is its proximity to the shops, restaurants, theatre, train station, trams etc. Overall, we enjoyed our time in Melbourne but aren't sure if we would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

I found this to be a good motel, with very good rooms, and situated right in the heart of Melbourne. The room was good, and quite spacious. It was also surprisingly quiet, given its location, although the price paid for this is a lack of natural light. Still, it was great to walk out of my cool, quiet room into the heat and bustle of Melbourne.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Been to The City Square Motel? Share your experiences!