“In the city” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge City Square Motel

You added Econo Lodge City Square Motel to your Saves list
Econo Lodge City Square Motel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   67 Swanston St., Melbourne, Victoria 3001, Australia (Formerly The City Square Motel)   |
Ranked #107 of 173 Hotels in Melbourne
Shepparton, Victoria, Australia
“In the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is an easy walk from Flinders Street Station, even with baggage. Located right on Swanston Street it has trams basically right out the front. Stayed here as i was taking part in Anzac March and was a great location to base from. The staff at the counter were helpful and accommodating due to some time restraints i had due to the march. The single bed room is what you would expect, small but enough room. I was facing out toward Swanston Street and if you are a light sleeper this could be a problem due to the trams and night time revelers. Over all a comfortable stay and would stay there again....

Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
shontinelle d, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge City Square Motel, responded to this review, 1 week ago

Shontinelle Daji

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Great place if you are in Melbourne for football, 20 minute walk to MCG or Etihad. Rooms are tidy and a resonable size for two adults. Also lots of reasonably cheap eateries around. However a very noisy site, not great for sleeping

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying with us and had wonderful time in the CBD. In regards to your queries we will definitely look into this and rectify it for future.

Greater Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed in this hotel on Thursday night 9/04/2015. ...I paid $148 on my credit card for one night ..Magement asked for a $250 dollar bond...( big mistake). that next morning I checked out and staff checked my room..it was a non smoking room ,i admit there was some cigarette smell in the room..Cassey the manager who was very rude and unreasonable said " I can't sell this room because of the cigarette smell". he then returned $50 out of the 250 dollar bond I had given him the previous night.....I was devastated and felt like I was robbed! That's why I want to share my experience and warn other people..... I have a background in hotel / hospitality...Does it really cost $200 in cash to take some cigarette smell off the room ( good spray can do that) check in time is usually 2 pm. ...I was so angry I went to the police and they suggested I seek legal aid..........I question this hotels honesty and integrity. Mr cassey ( manager) SHAME ON YOU. ...

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
shontinelle d, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge City Square Motel, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Hi Mr Domenic D,

We have read your recent review during your stay and there are certain things we would like to point out that we hope, would justify and clarify your review and as you mentioned “The honesty and Integrity” of our Hotel and also our Manger Casey.
Firstly, the night you checked in, you came with one of your friend, a bit too much to drink. We had mentioned to you about our Motel policy in regards to smoking and everything else. You did acknowledge to it and signed in the registration form that clearly sates our policy and guidelines and also gave the $250.00 bond for security. We can always send you the signed copy if you need one. Pointing out our customer service where you have questions, the same staff that checked you in, in fact seeing your friend’s condition, escorted all the way to your room so that you all remain safe.
The next morning, as you came down to check out, as our standard policy, we sent the Housekeeping Staff and to check the room if everything was ok. The staff called the reception as they could smell cigarette smoke. KC went up there to check, and he came down and let you know that you had smoked in the room and there were ashes all over the window pane and the whole room was smelly. You said, “I did not smoke but my friend did”. Later, KC showed you the pictures of the ashes and as it was totally against our guideline, he said that he will have to charge you for smoking. If I was there, I would have charged the whole $250.00 as that it the standard policy but KC only did $200.00 taking it as honest mistake. Now, that was his integrity that you have questioned.
Also, as you have mentioned about your extensive Hospitality Background, spaying a freshener to clean the room that smells of cigarette smokes you sound a bit unenlightened. A Motel room that does not have balcony and lot of windows, and if smoked inside the room, it will smell like an astray itself. We had to put an Air Purifier in the room for 24rhs continuous leaving the windows and doors open. We could not sell the room on a Friday Busy night because of this. The cost if calculated would have come a lot more than $200.00. That is our Honesty keeping guest’s situation and mistakes in mind.
Mr Domenic, we appreciate our Guest’s feedback and honesty in regards to their stay and reviews. In fact, it is the benchmark that helps us improve in certain areas we lack. But we do not really entertain a false accusations that directly reflects our property or staffs in Social Media. For you kind information, we also have the video footage where you threatened saying “I will blast you in Social media “and abusing our Staff if it helps you for any legal Aid you are seeking. And all the paperwork. Please let us know if you want us to forward it to you with the signed registration form.
Regards,
shontinelle d
Guest Relation Manager
Byron Bay, New South Wales, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2015

Since this hotel re-badged as the "Econo Lodge City Square" they have lifted their own star rating to 4. Honestly, it should be 2. It does have an excellent location, and suitable security, and the rooms have had a recent partial make-over (bit of paint and tiles) but this is a very basic hotel. I paid extra for a "Deluxe Single Room" which was reported to be a "Brand New Room". Incorrect.Furniture literally falling apart, scrapes and scratches. Window seals are gone so you can hear the street noise (not loud - but audible). The website says there was a desk which is important when in town on business. No desk. Fortunately, they have a great after-hours (offsite) Manager who was able to find me a different room with a desk. Altogether this was a disappointing hotel. I'm not saying don't stay here. Just be forewarned that they have over-hyped it on their website.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on low levels since this is a club district.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Greater Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2015

Outstanding service from very warm & friendly, helpful staff. Spotlessly clean room in a fantastic location. 5 min walk from Flinders Railway station and trams virtually out the front door ! Central to all the CBD has to offer ! For budget accommodation this really is an excellent choice. Quality complimentary coffee and tea sachets, as well as a few small tubs of milk and a couple of sweet biscuits supplied each day. Really enjoyed my stay and happily highly recommend this hotel for any savvy travellers. If you are coming from the airport, take the shuttle bus - they will drop you off very close to the hotel and the hotel staff will happily organise your return pick-up - just let them know beforehand. A no-fuss, no-stress stay in Melbourne's CBD.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
shontinelle d, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge City Square Motel, responded to this review, March 10, 2015

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2015

I stayed here last weekend for 2 nights. I booked a single room. It was called a "Deluxe Single Room". It wasn't. The room itself was ok enough for the time I was there. Air con worked, TV and fridge too.

The shower part of the bathroom was spacious I thought. The Toilet area was cramped. If I had been taller (or fatter), I would not have been able to go to the toilet in any sort of comfort. As it was, the bathroom sliding door was touching my knees as I sat there.

Location could not have been better for where I wanted to go on my visit to Melbourne. Lots of power points (at least 6) - I don't recall seeing that at other places.Tram stop only a few steps away.

I thought for the price I paid, it was a little expensive.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying with us and had wonderful time in the CBD. I will look into the room layout in regards to your review and see how we could further improve things.

Maryborough, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2015

This motel would be like most three star motels. The reception staff are friendly and the rooms are clean and comfortable. But the big advantage this motel has, is its location. It is exactly in the centre of Melbourne, just opposite the City Square. Outside is a tram stop that offers transport to all part of the City on the very efficient tram network and at a very affordable price. All inner city trams are free. The motel has a deal going with a parking station nearby to offer undercover parking at a reduced rate.
We were also very impressed with the volenteers dressed in their bright red shirts and straw hats that offer information and advice on all things Melbourne. They are located on corners around the inner city. Really enjoyed our stay in Melbourne.

Room Tip: The back rooms start getting some worker noise from adjoining properties around 5.30am.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
ELCitySqManagement, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge City Square Motel, responded to this review, February 25, 2015
Thank you for the recent review of your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying with us and had wonderful time in the CBD.

KC
Front Office Manager

Been to Econo Lodge City Square Motel? Share your experiences!