“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The City Square Motel

You added The City Square Motel to your Saves list
The City Square Motel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   67 Swanston St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #110 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Bendigo, Australia
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2014 via mobile

Arrived at checkin time which took 30 minutes due to one staff member at a tiny window to manage 4 separate guests. Arrived at our room to find a nasty surprise in the bathroom which clearly had not been cleaned. We didn't have the time to wait again for the man at the desk so made our complaint later that evening only to be told we should have dealt with it earlier. No apology. The room was tiny, noisy and the television reception was dreadful. A cheaper motel with central location but not value for money given these negatives.

• Stayed October 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2014

This hotel is located in the heart of Swanson st. Plenty of eateries and lucky also brunetti's cafe across the road - make awesome coffee! I stayed there last year in July in a single room. The rooms were average but they we're clean. Rooms had a fridge and private shower with toilet - very clean. For the price great hotel!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
ELCitySqManagement, Front Office Manager at The City Square Motel, responded to this review, September 10, 2014
Hi Mark74768,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying with us and had wonderful time in the CBD.

We look forward to seeing you soon again.

Front Office Manager
Surfers Paradise, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Was a good location to all landmarks of Melbourne. Close to DeGraves Lane for dining out. That was about all though. Noises at night. Dragging wheelie bins in lane way below room. Very average service of room daily.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
ELCitySqManagement, Front Office Manager at The City Square Motel, responded to this review, September 6, 2014
Hi Wendy,

Thanks for the recent review of your stay.I am sorry to hear that there were some some aspects that did not meet up you expectations during the stay. As we are rite in the heart of the city and there is always movements going around we cannot actually control the noise but to minimize it ,we do have a double gazed windows in every room. In regards to Housekeeping service that you received ,we have had a new Housekeeping department on board and will surely be up to the mark going forward.
Please call us direct next time you plan to come to stay with us and we will try our best to put you in a quieter room.

Front Office Manager
Canberra
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Since writing the review 'Changed hands and changed atmosphere' on 7 May I called into the City Square motel to see the excellent reception staff a few weeks later. They have all left. Nobody is there from the days when it was such a good, cheap place to stay in the heart of Melbourne. They had been there a long time, some as long as almost 10 years. Now there is a succession of different faces at reception. What a pity they all moved on, they were really helpful and gave the City Square a friendly atmosphere. It is completely different now.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back to avoid the noise from trams. it is particularly noisy Friday and Saturd...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Hi AngelaD17,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us.

We would like to welcome you back for your next stay and would like to assure you that although the old staffs have moved on ,our service is still the same and the reception team are as welcoming and helpful as always.

Front Office Manager.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Such a good location and the staff were so nice & helpful.
I thought I may have experienced street noise on the Saturday night I stayed there being that I had to be up early sunday for the Run Melbourne Half Marathon event but no need to worry. No noise at all.
Room was fairly small but more than adequate. Very clean as well.
Will be staying there again whenever I need to stay in Melbourne's CBD.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the rear I would guess
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Hi JJB316,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay.

It was really nice to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us and that the service was up to the mark.

We look forward to seeing again you when coming to Melbourne.

Front Office Manager.
Landsborough, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

I stayed in the standard single room. I went for the budget option so I understand you get what you pay for but thought there were quite a few things they could have done better.
Advertised "Complimentary Light breakfast" was a couple of tea and coffee bags. I did get two biscuits on the second night. They did advertise tea and coffee separately so I assume the biscuits were it.
The information booklet in the room was dirty and sticky and had the pamphlets were what to do in Melbourne - from 2005!
When I booked, it said free wifi was included. It wasn't given to me so I asked for it and they said it wasn't included. I showed them my printed out booking confirmation and they said they would give me 4 hours. I said I wanted it for the two nights I had paid for. After a lot of back and forth, they ended up giving me 12 hours and said I had to come down again the following day. I went to my room and the connection was so weak it just kept dropping out, so I gave up.
Airconditioning was very old and loud and everytime it kicked in the tv lost reception.
Location was great for walking around Swanston St and Fed Square but as such was very noisy.
Will do for budget accommodation if you are just using the room as a base, but they could definitely do better.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Devonport, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stayed here with two kids and my friend, we booked using online provider that did not advertise rooms honestly ( advertised as queen plus double sofa) Rita sorted us out and I would recommend dealing directly with them to save this problem. Any how we were booked into a different room consisting of queen and single bed plus a single sofa. The room was spotless and smelt good. There was no noise between the rooms nor the bathroom as there was a nifty dual door set up, plenty of hot water for showers and baths. The location is fantastic, just out the front door and your on the CBD, eateries and trams at the doorstep. Just want to reinforce the cleanliness again, it was a very pleasant experience thanks Rita, With kindness Haidee

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The City Square Motel? Share your experiences!