“The worst place I have ever encountered” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge City Square Motel

You added Econo Lodge City Square Motel to your Saves list
Econo Lodge City Square Motel
3.0 of 5 Motel   |   67 Swanston St., Melbourne, Victoria 3001, Australia (Formerly The City Square Motel)   |
Ranked #106 of 169 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
“The worst place I have ever encountered”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We checked in at 9pm when we got to our room the internal light wouldn't turn on and when it finally turned on it power surged from completely off to on for 5minutes before working, the power point box had a 20cent piece size hole in it with wires exposed, with hubby being an electrician this is not safe. The air con was covered in dust. I am fully aware you get what you pay for in room look and amenities however safety in this hotel is dangerous. The maintenance man would accused us of damaging the power point and refused to speak to me even though the booking was in my name. When asking to be moved to another room for the night whilst it gets fixed tomorrow they advised the last room was taken by a walk in, the refused to refund out money so we could stay somewhere else and refused to have the manager contact us. Do yourself a favour and stay somewhere else

• Stayed April 2014
shontinelle d, Guest Relations Manager at Econo Lodge City Square Motel, responded to this review, March 10, 2015
Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor. It is really disappointing hear about some issues during your stay with us. We will definitely look into this and rectify it for future.

Shontinelle Daji

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

The hotel is in the perfect location. The rooms were large, modern and clean. All staff were very friendly and parking was available nearby. Unfortunately, the noise coming from outside the room was just terrible. We were only able to sleep a few hours each night. We expected some noise being central Melbourne city but the amount was incredible. I wouldn't stay here again, unless they installed some sound proof windows and walls!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

I was so happy when staying at this hotel. Not only did I feel I got a really good bargin in accomadation, I was comfortable, it was clean, it was in a great location and staff were very friendly and helpful. The place feel more like a 4 star hotel. Will definitley be recomending it to my friends and staying again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade into the deluxe room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed staying with us and had wonderful time in the CBD.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Stayed 2 nights only. with my husband. we had a comfortable time. nice place. no complaints. will surely visit again next time. my husband loved the place more. he is planning for next stay. clean good environment.very comfortable.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Ok. It's not luxurious but the staff are friendly, the beds comfy and our bathroom (while a bit old) was spotless. Yes, the trams rumble by, and yes, you can hear the street buskers -- it's in the dead centre of downtown Melbourne people! Personally, my kids and I loved being a 5 minute walk from everything - restaurants, shopping and street life.
A total bargain and we will definitely return.

Stayed February 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

Stayed here for one night with a friend. Rooms are well equipped, though the furnishings are starting to look tired. The bathroom in particular needs a spruce up as paint is peeling etc. Lights are a bit harsh as they are fluro bulbs.

However it was clean, and relatively quiet given it is right on Swanston Street. The staff at reception desk were all friendly and accommodating.

I booked an advanced rate and got a good deal, though the other hotel I stayed in in Melbourne was only $5 more per night and far, far superior. I only changed as I extended my stay and the other hotel was full. If you are looking at clean and tidy accommodation, then this is your place. If you are looking for ambience or intend to stay in your hotel room a lot, then I would say you shop around for other alternatives.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed here two nights and enjoyed my stay.

The location is the best you are going to get, diagonally opposite Town Hall (the location of my conference).

My room was large, clean and very quiet. Toiletries were standard, bathroom good.

It is not a place to hang out, with no foyer or other amenities like that, but who needs that when the location is as it is.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Econo Lodge City Square Motel? Share your experiences!