“Good food at reasonable prices” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Pokolbin, Australia
“Good food at reasonable prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I appreciated the fact that when I showed the waitress my lasagna was badly burned (under the sauce), she immediately whipped it away and brought another, which was very good!

Visited February 2013

Melbourne
“Great pub, very good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Emerald Hotel in South Melbourne is an old style pub which doesn't try to attract customers with just pokies but concentrates on great food and service. It attracts an older group of clientelle. We were a group of four looking for a relaxing evening and dinner. The restaurant certainly met all our expectations. I had the duck risotto, my wife the lamb cutlets, both well cooked and very tasty.

One very small criticism; there is a good jazz band playing on Sunday nights but the music was a bit loud. When you go to a venue such as this with friends, the primary aim is to have a good chat. This should not be killed by the volume of the entertainment. Perhaps more frequent brakes in the music should be considered.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Xmas Break up”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We had our Christmas break up here. Great pub, great food and great service. Good to see there are still pubs around that haven't put in pokies and been ruined.

Visited December 2012
Melbourne, Australia
“South Melbourne's Popular Pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

The Emerald has been a local icon in South Melbourne for may years. Locals are welcomed, and reflect many return visitors. Great food, prompt service and easy parking. As I waited outside on a balmy Melbourne night for my family to arrive, I was offered some freshly made, piping hot, sausage rolls to help me pass the time. What a pleasant surprise and typical of the service inside the restaurant. My family and I will be back.

• Visited March 2012