“Good location for convention centre” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Southbank Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Travelodge Southbank Melbourne to your Saves list
Travelodge Southbank Melbourne
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9 Riverside Quay, Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Ranked #41 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Hobart
“Good location for convention centre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were attending a seminar at the convention centre so it was a good location for this. The rooms are clean but small. Breakfast was ordinary so we ate out on second morning. This was a mistake because there was nowhere nice that was close, so it's best to stick with ordinary. Staff were pleasant and went that little bit , especially when we wanted a taxi to take us a short distance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
BenLancken, Manager at Travelodge Southbank Melbourne, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Cyberchick,

The Team are delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay at Travelodge Southbank. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Travelodge Hotels in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Perfect location - close to board walk - close to center and Federation Square. No internet in the rooms in the hotel, but great internet in Fed Square. The airport shuttle was fantastic. Rooms were functional

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Patricia L,

For next time, we do have high speed wired and wifi internet available in every room and we also offer complimentary wifi in the lobby.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

3 stars would be a fair rating. Good location for a reasonable price. Rooms are basic, air- conditioning does not work properly. Towels are very thin, looks like the Travelodge bought the used towels from Crown. Leaking taps in bathroom. Save you money on breakfast and go to a cafe......very average, don't turn up on the half hour as they will be too busy. Regularly ran out of cutlery, glasses and food. Discounted car parking available from reception is good.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
BenLancken, Manager at Travelodge Southbank Melbourne, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear 2200,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Travelodge Southbank.

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your comments. I have addressed your concerns with the relevant departments to improve our overall guest experience.

If you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

NSW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed at Travelodge Southbank for five days while attending a conference in Melbourne. The location was within easy walking distance to the Convention Centre, Crown, the city centre and shops. It was approximately 15 minutes walk from the airport bus depot at Southern Cross Station to the door.

The room was comfortable and clean and perfectly adequate for my needs. It was very useful to have a small kitchennette (microwave, sink, kettle, small fridge, cutlery and crockery). The bathroom was a little tired but very clean. The hot water in the shower could be a little tempremental but it seemed to be worse at peak periods so it may have just been overdemand. Shampoo, conditioner, soap and a hairdryer are supplied but a little plastic shower cap would have been helpful too.

Breakfast is not included in the room price and is between $15 and $20 depending on whether you prebook or not. The reception staff are very helpful and friendly. There are many restaurants located around the hotel and shops for buying small snacks and essentials.

All in all, this is a comfortable hotel to stay in whether travelling for business or pleasure. Would stay again when next in town

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Nsw123,

With regard to your comment about the shower cap, I am pleased to let you know that we are in the process of rolling out a brand new guest amenity range in all of our rooms that includes a shower cap as standard in every room.

Newcastle, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I recently stayed at the Travelodge for work purposes. The room I was first given had hair all through the bathroom and mouldy sheets!!! Terrible! I immediately rang reception and although I had to wait half an hour for them to bring up a new key, the moved me to another room that was slightly better. The Air con only blew freezing cold air, and the lovely manager on that night brought me up an electric heater and set it up for me straight away. Hairdryer was very temperamental only working for 30 seconds at a time. On the Sunday I returned to my room at 5pm only to find the room hadn't been serviced. The receptionist organised someone to "attend to this immediately" and I'm not sure it made much of a difference. The cleaner said they don't usually start the ongoing guests rooms until late.. how much later on a Sunday was she planning on doing it! It turns out none of the guests rooms on my and the above level had been attended on this day.... Perhaps they need to increase their cleaning services and staffing!

Well done to the staff for maintaining professionalism, being so accommodating and polite despite the terrible facilities of the Hotel!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear c3060736,

I was horrified to read your review, particularly regarding housekeeping & maintenance. I am so glad to hear that the staffs were fantastic however I was very disappointed to read your comments regarding the standard of the room and be assured I will be addressing this very seriously with the relevant departments and managers.

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your comments and I would welcome an opportunity to discuss your feedback in more detail.

Albury, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Friendly check in and ready 20 mins before 2pm
Car parking very close by and we were able to unpack outside the door and partner parked while I went to the room.
Crockery, sink & microwave good to have along with couch, chairs & table as we took our own dinner to reheat before going to the Opera.
Bed firm but OK
Room opposite the lift on 9th floor – but not at all noisy
Great sized bathroom bench (always gets a plus from me if they have one) & good shower head.
Breakfast included in deal but very basic and not worth paying $18 for.
Would definitely go back there when next staying in Melbourne

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Shirley D,

Yarrawonga, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I got my first 'family free' weekend EVER, so I armed myself with the most fun person (my dear friend - Cousin's wife) and we went to Melbourne for a night.
We were hoping to stay at Crown, either Metropol or Promenade, but we booking got stuffed up (*eyes roll* because it was a really cheap deal... Surprise, surprise, YUP!).
Plan B...
Travelodge Southbank, Melbourne.
Realistically, it was half the price (AU$170.10 for the night plus AU$12 for secure parking - at Langham Hotel).
This pleased us both no end as we got to keep the location we wanted (just off the Yarra River, with in walking distance to everything we wanted to do and see), very safe (especially 2 gals walking alone near midnight), and it was so much cheaper.
I can for-go a king bed for... another king bed.
Yes, we booked the standard Queen Room and sofa. To our surprise, it was a King bed!
The location is fantastic. It is very easy to get to in a car. It is right next door to the Eureka Building. the upside to being nestled in this location is there is very little if no road noise.
No traffic wizzing past. No ambulances doing a mercy dash. No police cars chasing bad people.
Just slow taxis and the occassional guest pulling up out the front to check in.
Don't be fooled. All of Southbank is a busy area. It's just that the speed of the traffic here is docile. There were a lot of people on foot when we arrived. A really great, buz atmosphere. Then you step inside the glass doors to a very different and relaxed atmosphere.
Check in was a breeze. On our request, i asked for a room with a nice view (if possible). They gave us a room on the end (505 I think). They all pretty much look out on to the big skyscraper buildings. Any who, at least I wasn't looking onto a brick wall or a roof top. You could still see the street below, just not hear the noise.
The room was very tidy. Bigger than I expected and pretty well laid out. As you open your door, immediately on your right is luggage space. Little kitchenette (bar fridge, sink, kettle, menus of surrounding restaurants that deliver etc.). On your left (on the other side of the wall is the bathroom). it was large and very functional. Nice big bench with a single vanity, toilet and a shower (with out the glass enclosure, just a fixed single glass pane). Slight problem if the door is shut, the mirror fogs up, but that is quickly rectified by... opening the door.
Immediately in front (standing at the front door looking into the room) is the big beautiful window. You have the king bed on the left hand side of the room and the bathroom on the other side (vanity is on the other side - bathroom noises are still discreet) and beside the bed is the sofa. Big flat screen TV is on the wall at the end of the bed, but far enough away that you can enjoy watching it from the sofa too. Coffee table there to nurse your beverage.
All in all it was a great room. It had everything that you would want, including the location, for a lot less than most of the other places in the area.
The parking was a breeze, although I somehow always end up taking the longest route back to the hotel (damn bad sense of direction - my bad, not parking).
Simply check-in. You can leave your luggage (I would suggest someone stay with it - it is Melbourne after all). Park your car on the other side of the round about (Travelodge is on a corner), Langham is diagonal over the round about. Print your ticket, park your car, bring your ticket back to reception and they will do something to it making your parking A LOT cheaper. A breeze.
Check out is 11am. They do have a continental breakfast but we opted to dine at a restaurant on the Yarra, just around the corner. Best. Move. Ever!
We also went and ate tea at Cervo on the Ground Floor of Crown Casino, on the Clarendon side of the bridge that runs through the casino.
We had a corner table outside (for 2). We ate a beautiful meal (highly recommend the Penne Matriciana (AU$21.90 for a BIG bowl of pasta - great value for money and delicious) and the Insalata Giardino (AU$10.90 a really refreshing salad to share). YUM!
Okay, enough rambling.
If you want a great, comfortable and clean place to stay and you can for go the 5 star price, just at this place to stay. You won't regret it. The price of parking alone (considering you choose where you want to park it) makes a very smart move and helps the hip pocket too.
We stayed one night, but I will stay here again. And I have recommended it already.
OHHHH...
The blackout curtains worked a treat. Woke up at 8am and thought that the sun was just starting to wake. Dark out, just with a slight hint of light. Thank goodness for my watch. I just would have kept sleeping! Quiet dark rooms... Bliss (with no kids to jump on you)... *high five husband!*

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. The higher up, the quieter...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear 2Roos2Joeys,

What a fantastic review! The Team are delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us at Travelodge Southbank. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time!

Hotel Manager

Been to Travelodge Southbank Melbourne? Share your experiences!