“More of an inn, definitely not a hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Hatton Hotel

You added The Hatton Hotel to your Saves list
The Hatton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   65 Park Street | South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria 3141, Australia   |
Ranked #38 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
Manila
“More of an inn, definitely not a hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Just checked out the other day so this review is fresh.

I would have given 4 or even 5 stars to The Hatton but it just did not meet my expectations. And that was the root of my issue: my expectations were not appropriate - not high, not low, just different.

To me, The Hatton should not be classified as a hotel. It does not have the expected trappings of a hotel, i.e. full service – 24-hour reception, concierge, room service/full F&B, complete room amenities inside the room (without need of asking), AND no elevator (I don’t remember that reviews I read on TA before I booked last month did not mention this). The Hatton does not have any of those. So if someone asks me if it is a good hotel, I’d have to say that it’s not. But as an inn, it is very good and I won’t hesitate to recommend it BUT expectations need to be set properly.

I knew that The Hatton was in an old residential building. I've stayed in small hotels that were previously residences and which had been completely modernized inside, including installation of an elevator, so I was expecting this of The Hatton. But it was not completely so. It is more homey than the usual hotel (which is good), and I’d even describe it as feeling like a rich relative's mansion renovated to modernize basics like plumbing/bathroom and electrical fixtures. But, the renovation and furnishings could use some improvements.

The details --

Pros:
- Staff – the staff are very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. We informed the staff upon booking that our flight is arriving early and asked if we could store our luggage before check-in. But when we arrived before 9am (check-in is at 2pm), our room was ready and were allowed to check-in so we were able to get some much needed rest (we took a redeye to Melbourne from Singapore and did not sleep well on the flight).
- Breakfast – the choice was limited to cereals/muesli/granola, fresh fruits, bread and breakfast pastries, yoghurt, milk plus fresh juices. But the quality of the food was above par and could have been the artisanal kinds, not the supermarket variety (except some of the spreads like the peanut butter). And they offered different kinds of fresh coffee all made upon order: flat white, long black, cappuccino, espresso, latte. Definitely not the usual hotel buffet breakfast which suited us just fine and in fact preferred it. Would have been good to have some hot items, though but there was no kitchen.
- Location – it is in South Yarra, an upscale quiet residential area just 10 minutes by tram to the CBD. It is perfect for those who want to get a neighborhood feel instead of being in the CBD and feel like being in any other city. The no. 8 tram which goes straight to the center of the CBD stops right in front, and The Hatton can sell tram tickets so there’s no worry about not having loose change for the tram.

Cons:
- As I earlier said, it lacks facilities, even as basic as a 24-hour reception. The front door is closed at 11pm so the room key needs to be used to open the front door. But to me, the most critical was not having an elevator. We were at the start of a long Australian tour so had heavy bags which we had to carry up and down narrow flights of stairs.
- The furnishings were too Ikea-like and did not match the rich architecture around. The bed we had even had casters/wheels! What’s funny is that the motel (yes, a MOTEL) we stayed at in Lorne on our Great Ocean Road trip had the same wheeled-bed with plain white headboard. Even the lighting fixtures in our room at The Hatton seemed like they also came from Ikea. And there was not enough lighting, specially in the bathroom. There was no light above the bathtub, and the only light source above the sink/commode was not bright enough to light the whole bathroom.
- Speaking of the bathroom, the bathtub had one of those half-door or glass panel covering only half of the bathtub, which I still don’t understand the logic of. Don’t hoteliers/inn proprietors realize how much more work needs to be done to clean wet floors? Full shower curtains can have as much character and even costs less than a glass half-door.
- The bathroom door is only a sliding door that does not completely close. We visited in winter so the cold draft entered the bathroom through the door and made taking a bath such a freezing ordeal. Thank goodness the bathroom floor was wood so that helped ease the cold a bit. A proper door should be installed, or a heater placed in the bathroom. And there was very little bathroom and personal amenities, limited to the basic soap by the sink and the bathtub, small bath salt, shampoo, conditioner and shower cap. No cotton buds/cotton balls, comb, etc.
- There was no curtain and the window only had wooden shutters that did not block out light.
- Given that The Hatton is in an old renovated house, the sound of people walking and talking along the corridor goes through the door (it was a constant reminder that you are in a house, not a building). Fortunately, we could not hear the occupants of the room next door.
- Finally, the price, considering the lack of facilities and amenities, the price we paid - A$180 (close to US$200!) -- was too high. Then again, we realized that Australia in general is VERY, VERY expensive. The same quality accommodation we had at Napa Valley last year cost just US$150 per night. If not for the great service from the staff and the yummy breakfast, we would have felt that we got ripped-off.

Overall, I will recommend The Hatton to those who don’t mind staying in an expensive inn, but is not advisable for people who are expecting a full-service hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
adh65, Owner at The Hatton Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
We are disappointed you did not enjoy your stay. We understand your feelings in regard to our classification. We do blur the lines between a hotel and a guesthouse and do so deliberately as a unique accommodation supplier (having said that we are independently rated by AAA Tourism the official body as a 4 star hotel).
We do our best to supply potential guests with the marketing materials to make our point of difference clear however it is difficult to control given the size of our property and the abundance of marketing sites now present on the web- we are not a 5 star 200 room hotel with the economies of scale that come with that size.
In regards to an elevator we do have 3 levels however the entrance is on the middle level as we are built on an elevated block. So if you are on the top or the bottom there is one flight of stairs to commute. We did consider installing an elevator however we chose to retain as much of the purpose built hotel circa 1902 as possible.
In short we understand your criticisms and we have taken them on board. We are always reviewing our rooms to improve them and your comments are well noted.
Please understand though we are not trying to duplicate the experience of a big 5 star hotel.
Thank you for your honesty and time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Hatton is one of those buildings with personality. Years of history and modern refurbishment. No two rooms are the same in either shape or furnishing. The level of fitout is excellent. The staff are friendly. The lounge/reception/breakfast bar is a great gathering place, The number 8 tram is right at the door and you can buy your ticket at the hotel itself, Breakfast is continental, fresh and complimentary. What is not to like?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
adh65, Owner at The Hatton Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
So glad you enjoyed your stay, and that you have noticed our eclectic nature in combining modern with period furnishings and architecture.
Happy travels!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

South Yarra, like many Melbourne suburbs, is large but The Hatton is in the best part, only metres from the Botanical Gardens and with a tram running at the door. Its about 15 minutes by tram to the CBD, and about 5 minutes to the South Yarra retail strip.

Parking is on-street and so can be a little difficult to find but at no stage did I have to park more than 200m from the hotel.

The friendly and competent staff told me that the property was originally built in the 1880s as a hotel and was renovated about 10 years ago. The property has been kept in very good condition since, and its very hard to find any shortcomings in the rooms. The public areas - especially the front bar - are elegant and welcoming.

My only complaint is the breakfast, which is not of sufficient quality for the price. And the toasters should really be described as bread warmers - c'mon guys, you can afford 3 new toasters!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
adh65, Owner at The Hatton Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
thank you for your honest review and I'm glad you enjoyed what South Yarra has to offer.
We are always trying to improve our breakfast and so have taken the comments on the toasters on board which are currently Sunbeam Cafe series. Looks like it is time for an upgrade!
Thanks again we hope to welcome you again in the future.
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

After a couple of nights in one of Melbourne's big name no character hotels, I moved over to The Hatton. I loved this place! Very understated on the outside, but beautiful and very well done on the inside. My room was small but well appointed and comfortable. The front reception area, was warm, inviting and fun. Continental breakfast had lot's of choices and the made to order coffee was perfect. The same room also serves wine and cocktails at night..a nice start to a great evening out in Melbourne.

The Hatton, reaffirmed my attraction to Tablet Hotels picks. I'll stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
adh65, Owner at The Hatton Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and our unique concept of the combined front desk, lounge, bar reception area. Hope to see you again soon!
Sale, Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Hatton twice now. It is small but a lovely hotel with loads of character. It fees more like a bed and breakfast than a hotel. The front reception/bar is welcoming and a great spot to sit and have a drink or coffee.The room has everything you need for an overnight stay and the continental breakfast in the small reception area was delicious.

Room Tip: The rooms we stayed in were all good.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
adh65, Owner at The Hatton Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
thank you for taking the time to review, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and even happier that it was your second stay. It is true we blur the line between Guesthouse and Hotel which is mostly due to our size (being only 20 rooms) and the personalized service we offer.
Thanks again!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

This was our second stay at The Hatton. Several years on, this lovely boutique hotel still has that feeling of home - mood-lit rooms with an electic mix of furniture against a backdrop of texturous artworks. Big comfy beds with airy feather doonas and perfect pillows. The front reception/bar is welcoming and a great spot to read the newspaper or the latest quality mags over a glass of wine or a coffee. I could stay at The Hatton any night of the week. The only (very slight) downside this visit was the gossiping staff at breakfast time. At home, breakfast is a quiet affair with only the sound of muesli munching and newspapers rustling.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a superior room to enjoy a private courtyard and a Luxurious King size bed.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
adh65, Owner at The Hatton Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
We are so pleased you chose us again, one of our main sources of pride as a business is that many of our guests are returning or repeat customers. We also do our best to provide a consistent experience so to know that you felt right at home again on your return is great feedback.
Thank you for your honest review we have taken all of your comments on board and as always will strive to improve.
Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

On my first trip to Australia to visit my son, with instructions from home alone husband to "enjoy yourself", which I did. Each to their own I suppose, but I wonder why anybody would want to stay in a chain hotel when they can take the alternative option and enjoy the wonderful Hatton. Previous reports have covered all the major points, I would just add that it was the best experience to stay in such a delightful hotel. Travelling alone I took the smaller room option and was not at all dissapointed. It was well appointed and had a great view of the city together with great access to the roof terrace.

Staff were more than helpful and Anna in particular helped with tram tickets etc. Loved staying in a residential area,close enought to the centre via tram for easy access to everything. The beds are fantastically comfortable with excellent soft linen. A nice touch was the offer of ordering take-away for guests not wanting to go out to eat.

Room Tip: I stayed in a queen room which was more than adequate. Think I had no 20 which had really nice view...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
adh65, Owner at The Hatton Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thank you for the positive review! One of our main goals is to provide an alternative for travelers and a more personal level of customer service- it is great that with you we have achieved that. I think your husband deserves a pat on the back as well!
Thanks again.

Been to The Hatton Hotel? Share your experiences!