“unimpressed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Quest Gordon Place

Save Saved
You added Quest Gordon Place to your Saves list
Quest Gordon Place
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   24 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #33 of 109 Specialty lodging in Melbourne
“unimpressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Somerset Gordon Place for 2 nights. The positive aspects were that even though we only had booked a studio apartment, the kitchen facilities were better than expected and we also had a clothes washer and dryer in the apt, which we hadn't been expecting. There was a Coles grocery store about a ten minute walk away which was convenient.

Unfortunately, there were some negative aspects, which interfered with our enjoyment of this facility. We had emailed a couple questions to the hotel prior to our arrival which went unanswered. My main concern was that the internet booking, although done through the hotel's website, was dealt with by someone in Singapore ( I believe ). I'm not sure if there was a language barrier or not, but I had asked for information for a June booking and received info back about July rates. Therefore, when I made my booking on line, I added a comment indicating that I wanted the hotel to ensure that the booking I was making was for June. My email confirmation did show the June booking. However, when we arrived to the hotel, the room was booked for July instead. This could, obviously, have been a disaster. The next problem was that we had less than five minutes of hot water for our shower, both in the morning and the evening. We did complain but were offered no discount, although the staff indicated that there had been numerous complaints and they were having the problem looked after. We also did not receive any shampoo for our second day and although I called to request this, it was never delivered. As well, the soap dish in the shower was broken.
The staff were all friendly and professional which was appreciated. However, if we ever have the opportunity to return to Melbourne, we will not be staying at this facility again as our.expectations were not met.

• Liked — kitchen, washer and dryer
  • Disliked — lack of hot water
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

172 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

We go to Melbourne for the Australian Open every January and always stay at a 2 bedroom apartment. We chose this complex because of the pool, which turned out to be a smart thing because we had 3 days of 40 plus degrees. However, this was the only positive about this place. I should have realised something was wrong when I did an internet search and found there was a 2 bedroom apartment available. When I rang I was told there was no 2 bedrooms available. When I challenged this I was then told "Oh, we have one but it is like a penthouse and very expensive." I should have trusted my instincts as I thought this was a strange way to sell an apartment. However, I decided to take it because I thought if we are getting the best apartment in the place it must be nice. When we arrived, we couldn't get into the room, which was OK as we were a couple of hours early from check in time (2.00 p.m). I was told that they would contact us on my mobile when the room was free. We then dragged 2 very tired children around Melbourne until about 4.30 p.m. and finally I rang because I thought surely the room would be ready by then. I was told that it had been ready several hours ago but no explanation as to why the phone call that had been promised hadn't been made.

When we finally got to the room, we found that the (plasma) screen TV was not working. When we pointed this out, we were originally told that it had been working perfectly the day before, so we must have been doing something wrong. After a couple of people came to look at it, they finally conceded there was something wrong with it and replaced it with a very small TV. We then discovered that, despite being described as a "serviced apartment" we were given one cake of guest soap and two towels to share between the 4 of us. When we rang reception and asked if we could have some more, it sounded like we were asking for a lot. We could never work out the service roster and were never told what it was. Sometimes we came back to find the room had been serviced, but mostly it was not.

Then the shower didn't work, as there was no pressure. It took 2 days and a plumber to fix that one. Also a lot of the gym equipment was faulty. The room was air-conditioned, but we did not use the air conditioning very much because it was so old and noisy that it kept us awake.

The room itself which demanded $500 during the final's series of the Australian Open was the most un-penthouse like apartment I had seen. It was certainly big. However, because the building is a warehouse conversion, while the ceilings were tall, the windows were at the extremities of the ceiling. Therefore, hardly any light got into the apartment. It was actually in the basement of the building and quite a long walk from the reception area and you needed to negotiate stairs rather than use a lift. Also, despite the exorbitant price, there was only one bathroom. The furnishings were dark and the carpet had large stains all over it. The whole place looked liked it needed a good scrub.

When we left we filled out the comments handout that you are given on check out and provided 2 pages of negative comments. We were told that the most they could offer as a discount at the reception was $50.00 in view of the fact that the shower hadn't worked for half of our stay and the television that we were supposed to have wasn't available. They said they would pass our comments on and if any further discount was warranted we would be contacted. Needless to say, we never were.

I have stayed at other Somerset properties in Australia without complaint and feel that I shouldn't judge the whole group by this experience. But on the other hand, if the group is not troubled about following up what were obvious deficiencies in maintenance and service, I doubt I will ever be going back to a Somerset again.

• Liked — the pool
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bruxelles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

My partner and I had a very nice stay at the Somerset Gordon Place. We stayed in the smallest room which was adapted to our needs as we spent most of our time discovering the city and surroundings. The room was quite tiny but lovely and clean. The hotel situation is good, a few minutes walk from China Town where you can find plenty places to eat.

Despite situated in the city centre we found the hotel really quiet. The staff were helpful and smiling. Definitely a place to stay if you want to spend a few days in Melbourne!

• Liked — Lovely and quiet
  • Disliked — No free Internet
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2007

Interesting layout, decent rooms. Free laundary in the room a huge plus. Good location for trams and Chinatown. On a quiet street (for most of the streets in the city, there is a companion "Little" version - i.e., this hotel is on "Little Bourke Street", which is the quieter sister street to the busier "Bourke Street").

There is a good greek restaurant right across the street from the hotel. The breakfast situation in the restaurant attached to the hotel (called "1887", I believe) is ok, but a bit pricy.

Really no complaints overall about this place, friendly staff, etc.

Stayed January 2007
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2007

we stayed for a week over Xmas in a 2 bed top floor apartment that could not be faulted. The staff were all extremely helpful nothing was too much trouble for them and they were even apologetic about the hail on Xmas day!!
Great location for chinatown , shops, trams etc.
Friends of ours stayed in the Elizabeth Street apartments which were not as good

Stayed December 2006
Wellington,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

We stayed at Somerset on Gordon for eight nights and moved rooms twice.

We had booked a one bedroom apartment with an extra bed for a friend who was staying a few nights for a concert. The first room although it was meant to be a one bedroom was tiny and basically a studio apartment.

We moved to another room, which was bigger and a lot better. However it had two problems, the hot water in the shower lasted for about 10mins, not great for three people! Also it was facing Little Bourke St, the restaurants etc, honestly it was like trying to sleep in a nightclub, not just traffic noise, but people talking, music, bottles been cleared etc. So we moved again, this time to a two bedroom apartment which was very good.

I should note that the staff were very good and helpful and did everything they could to help us.

We didn't use the restaurant but it looked good, the pool was good and the location was good as well, especially for China Town restaurants we loved the Bamboo House, just across the road, very good food. Also close to the free tram about 5mins walk.

Next time I would probably check out their Elizabeth St apartments.

• Stayed July 2006
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2006

The service and professionalism of this place is a problem. Brochures in the room state that their onsite spa is open from 8am to 8pm. I tried calling at 8am, 10am, noon, and 7pm and was told that nobody was at the spa and it was closed. Finally, I asked the front desk to contact them and ask them to make and appointment for me for a service that was specifically listed on the brochure. They called me back and said the spa didnt provide that service even though the brochure said it did. In the room, there was literature saying if you had forgotten any toiletries, you could purchase them from the front desk. I called the front desk and asked for a razor. They told me they didn't have any. Sounds like a lot of false advertising to me.

On the actual facilities, I stayed ina 2 bedroom apartment and it was very spacious and nice.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business

Been to Quest Gordon Place? Share your experiences!