“Another perfect stay in a great value hotel in a great location. Staff make this hotel GRAND!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne to your Saves list
Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   328 Flinders Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #64 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Another great stay at this grand hotel. It's small .. It's got class and it really is Grand.

I'm on my last night of a three night stay.

I was lucky to get an upgrade to a heritage room (room 244). Absolutely stunning room. The highest ceilings ice ever seen in a hotel.

What really makes this hotel grand is the staff. Previously they were great, this time, unbelievable. Genuinely untested in service.

I saw a staff member run from the lobby to the stairs to ask a guest if they wanted help down the stairs with their luggage. Something you don't see very often anymore. The manager of this hotel must be focused on servicd because the staff are just incredible.

The restaurant downstairs is pure class and the lobby bar is similar to one I experienced in Berlin.

I stayed at the 5 Star Sofitel in Novembet and it didn't compare to to this place.

I'm back here again in three weeks and can't wait.

You won't be disappointed!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Alexander B, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear zedmeister,

We very much appreciate your review of the hotel. It was especially pleasing to hear your positive feedback on the team. We firmly believe we have some of the best staff going around and it is wonderful for everyone to receive such glowing feedback from a past guest.

We hope we can have you back to the hotel soon, please feel free to contact the team directly for the best rates for your next stay.

Alexander Billing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Horsham, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Great location, close to Flinders Street Station but surprisingly very quiet. Room was clean, modern and perfect for our 2 night stay. The valet parking was great and the staff were cheeful and helpful. Degraves Street just around the corner has fantastic cafes and a great atmosphere. I enquired regarding a late check-out (12noon) and although this could not be confirmed until check-in we were very happy that this was accommodated.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Vincent B, Front Office Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Sharon C,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with your fellow travellers.
I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,
Vincent Bellerose
Front Office Manager
Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Stayed one night in a standard room (Sat). Service by all staff was excellent and the location is terrific. Great places to eat and drink on site with a beautiful breakfast in the morning at basement restaurant. Rooms were quiet, very clean with very comfortable beds. Bathroom was on the small side but shower was great with good adjustable shower outlet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Niall B, Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Dwayne S,

First of all let me thank you for writing such a wonderful review and your kind words regarding our staff and location. Our food and beverage department are also very happy to have made your stay a memorable one. The staff and I are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Rendezvous Grand Hotel Melbourne in the near future.

Niall Blundell
Assistant General Manager
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Not much can be faulted about this hotel other than room size. We realised that we had booked the standard room but it was impossible for more than 1 person to be in the bathroom at once and my knees were in the shower when using the toilet! Also, bar closes too early on a Saturday night. Other than that though we did enjoy our stay.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a bigger room

Dear LeeAnn000,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with other travellers here on tripadvisor and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. In response to your comments regarding our bathroom sizes we understand that the configuration of some of our rooms can be smaller than others.

Being a heritage listed building we are limited somewhat by the layout of the rooms and in most cases are unable to extend on the room size. During our recent refurbishments we have aimed to use the space available to us in the most efficient manner to ensure the best possible outcome for our guests. I do apologise that the bathroom did not meet your expectations.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Rendezvous Grand Hotel Melbourne in the near future.

Kind regards

Niall Blundell
Assistant General Manager
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We booked a package for a weekend away. When we arrived the staff were very helpful and friendly. The service recieved while staying in the hotel was fantastic and very attentive. The restaurant is downstairs in the basement which sounds odd but it makes good use of the space and was elegant and the meals were delightful. Breakfast choices were good. The room was a little small, the bed wasnt very comfortable to sleep in and the shower over the bath isnt ideal, all else was good. Within walking distance to main city attractions, the location is perfect. I would say the hotel is very nice.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Anthony J, Executive Chef at Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear PhillipLorenda N

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your dining experiences in the hotel. My team and I work extremely hard to ensure we delivery excellent service and choice for our guests.
I have passed on your comments regarding your bed to our Executive Housekeeper who ensures me that this will be addressed.
We look forward in welcoming you back to the Rendezvous Grand Hotel Melbourne in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Anthony Johnson
Regional Director Kitchen Operations
Executive Chef – Rendezvous Grand Hotel Melbourne
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

We arrived at the hotel early, and we were met by a super helpful and friendly staff member named Jaime. She was in training, but was very helpful. They were unable to check us in early, but they did put a priority clean on our room and held our bags for us so we could go out on the town. She also rang my mobile about 2 hours later saying our room was ready and the bags had been dropped off. When we arrived at our room, we thought it to be pretty average, having a window looking out to a concrete wall. But hey, this is Melbourne and I kinda expected at so no bother. The bathroom was really tiny (But I expected this in an older hotel ) so it was no hassle. The only complaint I had about the room was the very dark decor with very minimal lighting. Please do not be afraid to use the mini bar, most them I avoid, but this one is very reasonably priced! The pillow concierge was a huge bonus for my wife as she needed a special pillow, and one was brought within moments of asking for it! The hotel itself is located almost adjacent to a city circle tram stop, making it easy to take the free tram around the free loop! Overall, I would say this is a very nice place to stay, the staff are super and are only to eager to assist you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew E, Guest Relations Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Meekster,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us to continually improve our services and facilities where possible.

We pride ourselves on the service our staff provide, and Jamie in particular will be appreciative of your feedback. In regards to the room size, we agree that the layout for some of our rooms are smaller than others. Being 100 years old this year and heritage listed, we have a large variety of room configurations available. We have attempted to ensure all rooms are in the most practical and comfortable configuration possible whilst ensuring we provide the amenities our guests require.

For your next stay, feel free to contact us directly so that we can allocate a room that is most suited to your needs and expectations.

Kind regards,
Andrew Edwards
Guest Services Supervisor
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Rendezvous Grand is a charming place filled with the well-preserved and restored splendour of a 19th century hotel, as you'd expect it to be.

The service upon arrival from the top-hat and tails-clad staff, through reception and check in is on par with any 5-star world-class establishment.

They have all of the appointments and trappings of any of their rivals, bar, restaurant, function facilities and so on. The services on offer are what you'd expect, valet parking, in-room dining and so forth.

Where I think that the hotel is letting itself down rests with the Kitchen and the Concierge. I'll deal with the kitchen first...

On arrival, we were hungry and went to the restaurant, which was being promoted heavily in the lobby. It was midday. The restaurant was closed and didn't offer lunch. This was disappointing so we went to the bar to see the lunch menu there. Service was outstanding and the meals on offer were tempting so we ordered there. I ordered a steak sandwich, which took over half an hour to deliver, and despite being presented well, was below room temperature cold. I was very disappointed and decided not to eat there again.

We decided not to chance eating in the hotel for any of the dinners because we were disenchanted with the bar and restaurant so far, however, we did have full buffet breakfasts on offer, which are simple to administer from a catering perspective so we took that on.

While the restaurant breakfast buffet had most of the comparable offerings of any hotel in its class, the quality of them was way below par. These are my impressions for Chef to take on board...

Microvawave scrambled eggs take the same time and effort as pan scrambled eggs but turn out far better. Grilled tomato is exactly that. Tomato that's just hot but not grilled tends to just be a mushy mess, as it was. Real pancakes are simple to make by any junior kitchen hand in any volume so having a machine spit them out (like rubber mouse mats) two at a time, taking up to 5 minutes per serve, gets on a punter's nerves.

A coffee machine that takes 2 minutes to fill a cup with dishwater is bad enough but to charge extra for a real cup of coffee that takes longer is poor form.

Finally - frozen potato gems or "tater totts" do not qualify as hash-browns in any language so please label them appropriately as the public aren't that stupid.

Breakfast was the direct result of nothing more elegant than laziness in the kitchen. It takes precious little effort to present a world-class breakfast.

There were 3 staff looking after what appeared to be around 120 guests, and were overwhelmed. There wasn't sufficient cuttlery and my breakfast went cold while I waited for more to be delivered. For everything I ate, the same volume or more was tossed. Breakfast was a pretty awful experience all 'round and nothing improved each day.

The Concierge was friendly but knew nothing about events in the hotel. When I saw on TV that the Melbourne "Open House" festival was on, celebrating the grandeur of all of the cities historic landmark buildings, including the Rendezvous Grand, and that they were all on display to the public, the Concierge not only knew nothing about it but when I asked if I could get information, looked at me with an expression of "why are you asking me?". When I asked for directions to the Yarra Valley, I got the same attitude? What's that got to do with me? It seemed that asking tourist information and basic directions was more suited to ask Google, or even housekeeping, than the Concierge.

Finally, the Heritage Room we stayed in. The ceilings were grand, the furniture and furnishings were period yet modern and it was very well designed. The 21st century ad-hock, squeeze in afterthought bathroom killed the mood of the room. 25% of the room was taken up with the afterthought bathroom, which was modern and well-appointed BUT because they tried too hard to squeeze in a bath, which was unneccessary, the rest of the bathroom was so cramped and uncomfortable that it was a nightmare to use the room at all. I don't know whether you need a bath instead of a shower to qualify for another star or not but this bathroom design detracted considerably from the potential of the accommodation overall.

I'm glad I stayed, but probably wouldn't do it again. There's far better on offer for the price.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Alexander B, General Manager at Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Elliot K,

I would like to thank you for your detailed and honest feedback of your recent stay at the hotel. I very much appreciate the time you have taken to clearly outline your concerns and feedback.

Firstly I would like to offer my sincerest apologises for any disappointment you felt as a result of your stay. It is clear from your feedback we have let you down in two key areas. Our food quality and concierge team are normally two areas we pride ourselves on very high standards so it was especially troubling to hear these were the two areas where we have let you down. I have had a meeting with Anthony Johnson our Executive Chef to review your comments. He passes on his apologises on behalf of the kitchen team. He has subsequently reviewed a number of hot offerings on the breakfast buffet and we will be rolling out these changes in the coming weeks. In regards to the concierge there is no excuse for the team not being up to date. With some new team members on board we are undertaking a new training program with the assistance of the local visitor bureau to ensure all our concierge team have the required knowledge to assist our valued guests.

Elliot K, again I greatly appreciate the time you have taken to review the hotel. I assure you we take such feedback seriously. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon to show where feedback such as yours is used to improve services and facilities. Please feel free to contact me directly on 03 9250 1888 if travelling again so we can arrange the best rate possible for your next visit.

Alexander Billing

Been to Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne? Share your experiences!