“Comfortable and cosy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne

Save Saved
You added Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne to your Saves list
Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   328 Flinders Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia   |
Ranked #63 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Comfortable and cosy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stayed here for a work trip and after reading other reviews I was a litte concerned. I have to say I didn't find my room noisy as some other reviews have said (I was staying on the 5th floor). The location was excellent for my meeting. The check in and out staff were a little on the dismissive side and I would have appreciated some help with my bags from the concierge but that could have just been a given time. Yes the bathroom was small and I wouldn't suggest my room for a family but for one person it was adequate. I loved the old world feel of the staircases as well.

Room Tip: My room was to the left of the lift and down the hall. Maybe this was why is was quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Rooms were just average in size. Clean and good service.
Location within city was great, did not find the neighborhood that desireable.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Stayed here on a weekender to Melbourne and thankfully I checked out Trip Advisor Reviews before I stayed....small rooms and smaller bathrooms! The hotel is an old historic Melbourne building which has seen a lot of love and care put into creating a luxurious feeling property...it has a really nice feel to it when you walk in! That being said the rooms are small but comfortable but be prepared for European sized bathrooms.....small....very small. Clean, well equipped but small. What made up for the bathroom were the staff. They were some of the most friendly and hospitable I've ever come across (and that's having travelled extensively around the world). Nice restaurant, good menu and wine list. Well located for access to the city centre, Flinders St Station and Southbank. Would recommend but beware of the bathroom size.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

although the rooms are very compact but it is very clean. The location is very convenient in the city. What I like the most is the business package which you pay around 27 dollars for a day which includes the free internet, full breakfast and a shirt laundry service (or a drink at the bar). If you are traveling on business it will be very convenient

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Maryborough, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for the second time in 2 years last weekend. Again the place cannot be faulted. The location is amazing and the rooms are compact but clean and comfortable with all the mod cons you could ask for.

We arrived mid morning and were going to leave our bags till check in at 2.00pm but we were able to check in straight away as our room was ready so that was really nice.Bed was super, pillows superb.

Highlight for me as always is the buffet breakfast, especially the pancake machine! I want one. If you have a late breakfast it'll tide you over 'till late afternoon there is so much yummy food to choose from. Welcome drinks at the bar were a pleasure as always. All the the staff are friendly and very helpful.

Only teeny downside is the sensor light in the bathroom that comes on when you go to the toilet. its a bit harsh in the middle of the night and you either have to switch it off at the wall or it goes off by itself after 10 minutes or so. It would be nice if it had a dimmer on it after midnight perhaps?

This place is an absolute gem and I cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: Bathrooms with only the shower instead of 'over bath shower' are much nicer. Front of hotel...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights at the Rendezvous Hotel and were travelling with another couple. We arrived, having driven from Adelaide along the Gt Ocean Road. The staff were very helpful and allowed us to park the rented car for a while, whilst we dumped off our luggage. If you want to park at the hotel it costs 35Aus$ per night (be aware!), so we wanted to get rid of ours immediately. You don't need a car in Melbourne.

We were shown to room 941 described as a "Heritage Room". Well, I don't know about "Heritage", it was tired, shabby and in need of renovation. To cut a long story short, we complained immediately that we were not happy with the room. Initially we were offered an upgrade to the "Commerce Rooms", at 30AUS$ per room per night. Again, we argued that this was unacceptable and in the end, after a bit of wrangling, we were given two rooms to the front of the hotel, overlooking the street. These were, without a doubt, excellent.

The problem the Rendevous has is that so many of it's rooms are to the sides of the building, which have other buidlings built within a few feet, so it's very easy to find yourself looking out onto a brick wall. Many people might be happy with this, I wasn't, hence the insistance bit! But we got there in the end.

If you are making a reservation, I would certainly suggest you opt for the slight more expensive commerce rooms and pay that bit extra. Also, try putting in a request for "street view" rooms to avoid the brick walls (you may or may not be lucky).

The rooms we ended up with were beautiful. The beds were lovely, big and comfortable. The bathroom was excellent, with French Connection products. They even had a "Pillow Menu" so that you could choose whatever style of pillows you wanted, e.g. feather, etc.

The location, again, is excellent. Just a few steps outside of the door you will find the free city tram, that does a continuous circuit of the city. Also the free tourist bus service is just a few steps away too. It couldn't be easier, or cheaper, to get around. There are bars, shops and restaurants within walking distance, so again, very convenient.

The breakfast selection was excellent with a good selection of both continental and cooked food.

All in all, I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

I stayed at Rendezvous one night with a colleague as we came to Melbourne for a seminar. The location is great it is 5 minutes walking distance to the Melbourne expo center and Crown, the rooms are small but clean and the beds are fairly comfortable.

So far so good but if you look at the value for money you can find better places in similar locations, the housekeeping was a big let down, in the morning I asked to get a shaving cream as mine was confiscated at the airport and 15 minutes later I called them again they said it has been sent to a wrong room (probably other room was waken up at 7am for that mistake as well) even though they confirm the room number as you call them because they have a screen which room is calling. After that they said they are sending another one and never did (at least not in the next 20 minutes) I had to leave because of the seminar and I was the first speaker so couldn't be late. We grabbed a quick breakfast downstairs as we didn't have much time (waiting the kit made us lose 45 minutes), the quality of the buffet was very average like everything else and it is expensive for a what it is, you may go out and have a perfectly good quality coffee and very nice breakfast for almost half price. I never understand to get a buffet food gets dry and tasteless anyway.

In conclusion, it is definitely a business hotel as per the location and the amenities room size etc and try to look other alternatives before you book it. I would pay 10/15$ more to stay on a different hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to stay away from the lifts, as people go in and out all night and it gets very loud.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne? Share your experiences!