“Great, shame I didn't get a chance to use the Baths” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jasper Hotel

Save Saved
You added Jasper Hotel to your Saves list
Jasper Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   489 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Special Rate
Relaunch Special $139
Ranked #88 of 170 Hotels in Melbourne
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Great, shame I didn't get a chance to use the Baths”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Staff were efficient, friendly and helpful. Lift and Corridors are a bit worn, dark and shabby, but room is nice and bright and trendy. Great Location, close to Victoria Markets, good walk to the Melbourne Uni Law Building, and surrounding cafes. There is no next door noise or above room noise, only the humming of the a/c as the cavity is open to the room and some smothered vehicle road noise, the outside noise through the window could be improved, but not too bad for Melbourne. A/C worked great, small but trendy bathroom, only gripe was that sometimes the shower didn't drain fast enough. Had a (take-away(?)) massage in the dedicated hotel massage room which is quite bare and cold, but glad they had the room as I'm not too sure a massage bed would have fit in the bed room itself. Overall quite impressed by this boutique hotel. I only wish that my friends and I got the two bed suite they offered us for $234 per night for the Melbourne Cup wk/end this year, still would like it but it must be booked out as I can't seem to get a response from the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Whenever I travel for work or leisure in Melbourne I try and stay close to what I am doing, I have have a fair bit of experience with Melbourne hotels. In a city spoilt with amazing and boutique hotels, the Jasper is one of the best.

I love the vibrant colour scheme, the louvered coloured glass in the bathroom and the unpretentious nature of the building. The rooms are very comfortable, the staff are friendly and efficient, the rooms are so clean and the product is consistently every time I stay.

The windows which open fully are such a rare luxury in hotels these days, especially as it allows the sounds of Melbourne's tram bells and the buzz of the markets to infiltrate the room. Fresh air is so hard to find in most hotels.

For what used to be the backpackers, the conversion is pretty impressive. The hotel is a solid 4 stars: reasonably priced and not-too-fancy minibar, excellent cafe downstairs, friendly and helpful reception, comfortable beds, super clean rooms, small but highly functional and stylish bathrooms and free access to the Melbourne Baths and Gym.

My only gripes have been the slowness of the lift (although there is only 8 floors so you aren't normally waiting too long), the lack of digital TV channels [e.g. No ABC News24, 7mate etc.] (an all too common problem in Australian hotels), the lack of Fox Footy Channel and that the amazing cafe doesn't open after lunch time. Overall these are minor points.

The complimentary Melbourne Baths access is something which apparently not a lot of people take advantage of. These baths are one of Melbourne's most beautiful old buildings and doing laps in the odd-lengthed pool is incredibly peaceful in this heritage listed complex. Any guest staying here should make use of this feature, even if it is just for a sticky-beak at one of Melbourne beautiful old buildings.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on floors 6-8 if you want a view of the markets.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I was looking to check in to a place like the Stamford, Melbourne, but at $280 per night it was a budget breaker. I searched the sites and came up with Jasper Hotel, in a great part of town with access to everything and it looked good the reviews were good.

I am very satisfied. It is boutique "ee" hotel with 8 floors painted different colors. I got room 610 overlooking the Victoria Market. The view was excellent and the windows open totally to let in the winter cool air. It was quiet all the way around both inside and out. Ice ( a key thing for me ) was available upon demand.

The room was clean ( real clean ) well designed and comfortable, a good value. Internet is WiFi but very very expensive ($58 bucks for 8 hours 1 machine!!) OUCH.. the front desk clerk said it was free next door at MickyDs..which does not work for me because I work work work...and need it in the room .. they do give you internet for $30 bucks..but only 300MB of download and your are DEAD. That sucks..but that cost them one star here. The front desk was super friendly and helpful..but there is only one person to do everything..so if you need staff..this is not the place.
The Jasper restaurant was a fantastic breakfast ( only $8 bucks) for full American egg type breakfast..and the coffee EXCELLENT..really well done and again good service and super modern and clean. I did not have lunch there, but the menu looked great and the food is excellent.

This hotel is clean and fresh and for $132 or something like that .. what a deal. The Central Station is a few minutes walk and the trams are out front. There is a University here and most of the population is Chinese and Japanese up here so the restaurants are all asian. I had a fantastic dinner at the ROSE BBQ Chinese just a block away, with seating on the sidewalk (it was packed) and the food was blow-your-eyeballs-out good..again $9.50 and I had a feast made for two average Chinese folks or..as I am .. one typical American.

I have pictures but without internet cannot upload them from my Iphone here..so that sucks. But otherwise..great value, friendly, clean, modern, fast elevators..ice is instant .. and views over the market great. I would come back anytime!

Room Tip: Get a room up high overlooking the market. Get ready to pay a huge amount of money for internet acc...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Just the friendliest, no-nonsense-chic hotel you could hope to find. Close to Victoria markets and with nearby Market Lane Coffee - well positioned. Cosy rooms with great views.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Buderim, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Took a chance when booking this hotel. Visits to Melbourne usually mean accomodation right in the heart of the CBD. so why change this.........glad we did. The Jasper caught my eye because of the location and price. Being right on the Victoria Market and the price meant we could spend more shopping. Airport bus got us to the door dry and warm. front of house staff very effecient and friendly. Foyer clean and bright. Room clean and compact. Location is hard to compare to the much revered Central CBD establishments, but the Jasper has nothing to worry about, its in a different league. easy walk to all you need to visit. Market, melb central, turf bar, pelegrini's, west melb restaurants, lygon street....the list goes on.
Front of house staff stored our bags, recommended street parking for the hire car, let us re-access the stored bags, gave us many maps with directions and all the while smiled.
Tip for next time: request room on the rear of the hotel. was a bit of street noise, not heavy in our room on the front. also pay a few extra bucks and get the executive room (longer stays more room)
overall, You wont be disappointed!!!
Excellent value, clean and cosy and fantastic location...........see you again soon
ps Thanks to Andrew, front of house staffer who recommended a suitable venue for us to watch the Lions v Dees game......excellent recommendation Andrew

Room Tip: ask for a room at the rear of the hotel, less street noise. also pay a little extra and get the exec...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2012
Hi oppy1... many thanks for your kind review of the Jasper! I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and my thanks for your complimentary (and well deserved!) comments on our team here. Our people at the Jasper really make the difference and whilst some regrettably do not appreciate just what they do and what is required to make the Jasper a great hotel, it's terrific that our guests do! It will be great to welcome you back again ...Tony
Downtown Columbus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

This is a very nice hotel. Location is very convenient, staffs are very helpful, rooms are clean and roomy. The Victoria's Market is next door and it provides lots of good food. If you want to get a quick bites in the morning, the McDonald's is there for you. Great price, great location, great hotel.

Room Tip: If you rent Avis cars, there is a Avis/Aldi's customer parking garage nearby within 5 minutes wa...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Hi ColumbusUrbanLife... delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Jasper - I really appreciate you taking the time to write a review! We are in a sensational location being next door to Queen Victoria Market and of course our hotel team has to be the best in Melbourne! Very much look forward to welcoming you back again. Many thanks! ...Tony
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

Melbourne is the art and fashion city of Melbourne, it has a certain quirkiness about it that sets it from the rest, so if you were to stay in Melbourne why. It do it in a hotel that exhibits exactly that. I love how each floor is a different colour it is so quirky and fun. Me and my friend were on the 8th floor which was green, and both being students we were looking to get our money's worth on a budget. It is in a perfect spot just outside the CBD, tram stop and vic markets right out front, me and my friend walked everywhere though and it was easy too. I would definitley stay here again, I know I will be because I'll be coming to Melbourne again very soon. Quality hotel and I recommend highly !! :)

• Stayed June 2012
Ossabucco, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Hi Jessflan... very kind comments, thank you!! We are very proud of the Jasper - a great product, good feel, awesome location and importantly a sensational team of people. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back one day. Appreciate you taking the time to write a review! ...Tony

Been to Jasper Hotel? Share your experiences!