“Excellent Boutique Hotel ..but the WIFI..ouch!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jasper Hotel

Save Saved
You added Jasper Hotel to your Saves list
Jasper Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   489 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Special Rate
Renovation Special $89*
Ranked #94 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
Seattle
“Excellent Boutique Hotel ..but the WIFI..ouch!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I was looking to check in to a place like the Stamford, Melbourne, but at $280 per night it was a budget breaker. I searched the sites and came up with Jasper Hotel, in a great part of town with access to everything and it looked good the reviews were good.

I am very satisfied. It is boutique "ee" hotel with 8 floors painted different colors. I got room 610 overlooking the Victoria Market. The view was excellent and the windows open totally to let in the winter cool air. It was quiet all the way around both inside and out. Ice ( a key thing for me ) was available upon demand.

The room was clean ( real clean ) well designed and comfortable, a good value. Internet is WiFi but very very expensive ($58 bucks for 8 hours 1 machine!!) OUCH.. the front desk clerk said it was free next door at MickyDs..which does not work for me because I work work work...and need it in the room .. they do give you internet for $30 bucks..but only 300MB of download and your are DEAD. That sucks..but that cost them one star here. The front desk was super friendly and helpful..but there is only one person to do everything..so if you need staff..this is not the place.
The Jasper restaurant was a fantastic breakfast ( only $8 bucks) for full American egg type breakfast..and the coffee EXCELLENT..really well done and again good service and super modern and clean. I did not have lunch there, but the menu looked great and the food is excellent.

This hotel is clean and fresh and for $132 or something like that .. what a deal. The Central Station is a few minutes walk and the trams are out front. There is a University here and most of the population is Chinese and Japanese up here so the restaurants are all asian. I had a fantastic dinner at the ROSE BBQ Chinese just a block away, with seating on the sidewalk (it was packed) and the food was blow-your-eyeballs-out good..again $9.50 and I had a feast made for two average Chinese folks or..as I am .. one typical American.

I have pictures but without internet cannot upload them from my Iphone here..so that sucks. But otherwise..great value, friendly, clean, modern, fast elevators..ice is instant .. and views over the market great. I would come back anytime!

Room Tip: Get a room up high overlooking the market. Get ready to pay a huge amount of money for internet acc...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

286 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Just the friendliest, no-nonsense-chic hotel you could hope to find. Close to Victoria markets and with nearby Market Lane Coffee - well positioned. Cosy rooms with great views.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Buderim, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Took a chance when booking this hotel. Visits to Melbourne usually mean accomodation right in the heart of the CBD. so why change this.........glad we did. The Jasper caught my eye because of the location and price. Being right on the Victoria Market and the price meant we could spend more shopping. Airport bus got us to the door dry and warm. front of house staff very effecient and friendly. Foyer clean and bright. Room clean and compact. Location is hard to compare to the much revered Central CBD establishments, but the Jasper has nothing to worry about, its in a different league. easy walk to all you need to visit. Market, melb central, turf bar, pelegrini's, west melb restaurants, lygon street....the list goes on.
Front of house staff stored our bags, recommended street parking for the hire car, let us re-access the stored bags, gave us many maps with directions and all the while smiled.
Tip for next time: request room on the rear of the hotel. was a bit of street noise, not heavy in our room on the front. also pay a few extra bucks and get the executive room (longer stays more room)
overall, You wont be disappointed!!!
Excellent value, clean and cosy and fantastic location...........see you again soon
ps Thanks to Andrew, front of house staffer who recommended a suitable venue for us to watch the Lions v Dees game......excellent recommendation Andrew

Room Tip: ask for a room at the rear of the hotel, less street noise. also pay a little extra and get the exec...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2012
Hi oppy1... many thanks for your kind review of the Jasper! I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and my thanks for your complimentary (and well deserved!) comments on our team here. Our people at the Jasper really make the difference and whilst some regrettably do not appreciate just what they do and what is required to make the Jasper a great hotel, it's terrific that our guests do! It will be great to welcome you back again ...Tony
Downtown Columbus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

This is a very nice hotel. Location is very convenient, staffs are very helpful, rooms are clean and roomy. The Victoria's Market is next door and it provides lots of good food. If you want to get a quick bites in the morning, the McDonald's is there for you. Great price, great location, great hotel.

Room Tip: If you rent Avis cars, there is a Avis/Aldi's customer parking garage nearby within 5 minutes wa...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Hi ColumbusUrbanLife... delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Jasper - I really appreciate you taking the time to write a review! We are in a sensational location being next door to Queen Victoria Market and of course our hotel team has to be the best in Melbourne! Very much look forward to welcoming you back again. Many thanks! ...Tony
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

Melbourne is the art and fashion city of Melbourne, it has a certain quirkiness about it that sets it from the rest, so if you were to stay in Melbourne why. It do it in a hotel that exhibits exactly that. I love how each floor is a different colour it is so quirky and fun. Me and my friend were on the 8th floor which was green, and both being students we were looking to get our money's worth on a budget. It is in a perfect spot just outside the CBD, tram stop and vic markets right out front, me and my friend walked everywhere though and it was easy too. I would definitley stay here again, I know I will be because I'll be coming to Melbourne again very soon. Quality hotel and I recommend highly !! :)

• Stayed June 2012
Ossabucco, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Hi Jessflan... very kind comments, thank you!! We are very proud of the Jasper - a great product, good feel, awesome location and importantly a sensational team of people. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back one day. Appreciate you taking the time to write a review! ...Tony
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Kind of hip colour scheme on each floor. If you want something a bit peaceful, request not to be on the 'red' floor, which is where my room was (Maybe it was the 8th flr, not sure). Anyway, the room is itself is quite tastefully modern & I quite liked it, & had city views. Nice toiletries were provided in the bathroom. Tasty breakfast was in the ground floor cafe, which was bright & cheerful. I expect that it was good value as the company arranged & paid for it. Very comfortable and modern, and located near the markets, which are a must visit/see experience. I would go there again on a personal trip.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Hi Trish789... the Jasper is pretty funky isn't it! When the hotel was renovated 6 years ago, the fantastic decision was made to splash colour everywhere - hence each corridor on all 8 floors having a different colour. The main lobby area is wonderfully bright and brings - we think - a really warm and welcoming feel. We love it and so do many of our guests! I am glad you liked breakfast too. We have a sensational Head Chef and team in the Jasper Kitchen - it is no coincidence the Jasper is rated as having one of the best hotel breakfasts in Melbourne!
Many thanks for your review - we look forward to welcoming you back. ...Tony
Shepparton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a conference in April.
The hotel was fine, reasonably comfortable but i'm writing this review mainly due to the service at the front desk.
I arrived around 7pm - it had been a long day. The concierge was uninterested and barely looked up from the desk when I asked where the carpark was. He then directed me to u-turn and vaguely waved me towards another street. I pointed out that I didn't think a u-turn was legal there and he laughed at me and said "your choice". Then told me the room had not been paid for. I explained that it was after business hours and my work was closed until the morning to sort it out. I paid the cash for the deposit and had to ask a couple of times for a receipt. Something he seemed to think was unnecessary.
I returned from car parking, went to my room. Doors to outside don't open onto the rooftop from the room so i rang reception to ask where I go to smoke. He just said "the street" and hung up.
Over the course of the 2 days I was at the hotel for the conference, I was trying to work out paying for the hotel. I arranged for work to call the hotel to sort it out. I went back to the front desk and was told "someone rang. I don't know who. I didn't write it down. I was busy." - ok thanks for all your wonderful assistance!
In the end I went back at lunch time and someone else was on the front desk. They were lovely. Followed up with me and told me the room HAD been paid for and it was all sorted.
Work has used this hotel many times but in future for the price I will consider elsewhere.
I did leave the feedback form in the room with my details on it to be contacted but 5-6 weeks later have heard nothing so instead writing this review.
Room service menu is average at best.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Hi seal_loves_holidays... I appreciate your comments and am disappointed the Jasper did not live up to your expectations. I am surprised too of your comments regarding staff service and attitude - we pride ourselves on service and going "that extra mile" as experienced by so many guests over the years. It is really surprising actually. My thanks for your comments in any case and I have addressed them with our team ...Tony

Been to Jasper Hotel? Share your experiences!