“Enjoyed my stay at Jasper” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jasper Hotel

You added Jasper Hotel to your Saves list
Jasper Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   489 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Special Rate
Relaunch Special $139
Ranked #88 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Enjoyed my stay at Jasper”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

I enjoyed my stay at Jasper had a nice comfortable room on the eight floor facing Elizabeth street. Room is nice and clean, bed was comfortable. Only two small things that could be improved - 1 Only few tv channels, no hd channels Foxtel only had sport channels. 2 noise from the air-condition which was not from my room I was offered another room. Staff very friendly and helpful. Liked the 24 hour reception and card only in lift that only gets you to your floor made me feel more safe. Felt safe walking on Elizabeth street at 8 pm sunday night. One suggestion if you could have a map of the city showing the stops of the free tourist bus and tram. Also the where is the tourist information booth with a cross where Jasper is not that I got lost I have a good direction last day walked all around the city and in beautiful little line ways . Would save a lot time and would get to see more of Melbourne. I had a very nice breakfast when I arrived in the morning very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Ossabucco, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Hi libby - many thanks for your review!
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Jasper and hope you'll return one day. We are very proud of our hotel and in particular with the team of people we have working here. Being a small hotel, we have a small but close team of people who really go out of their way to make every guest's stay that little bit better than what they may expect.
Great suggestion regarding the placing of maps in guest rooms - this has now been done!! Tourism Victoria very kindly provided great maps and information booklets about Melbourne, so these are now available for our guests to read and use. Thank you!!
Look forward to your return ...Tony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

I stayed for 2 nights after staying in melbourne for work. The location was the biggest attractions as you could get anywhere very easy
The room was clean and tidy, however the shower could do with a good scrub. Although I could say that for most hotel showers!
I would have liked a couch in the room, as opposed to the two study chairs
Didn't like the black roof, as it felt like the room was closing in on me.
Bed was comfy and as i had a room that was not facing the street it was very quiet. The windows even opened!
Thought that they internet area next to my room would be noisy but didnt notice anyone using it.
It was a little hard to find the light switch initally, and my room wasnt serviced until about 2pm, there was also no "privacy requested" door hanger.
Overall the hotel was what i expected based on what i paid for. It is not intended to be a business travellers hotel, however meets the needs of the social traveller very well.

Room Tip: For a quieter room, ask for a room that doesnt face the street
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Ossabucco, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Hi catti41
Many thanks for posting this review!
I am pleased that the Jasper did meet your expectations as that is exactly what we strive to do - if not more. We certainly don't pretend or intend to be anything we are not, simply a good value, well presented hotel in a great location and with the best service team in the business!
I do hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Jasper! ...Tony
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Came to Melbourne on 26-31 July 2011 with a colleague, stayed for a business trip and holiday too. We checked in a bit early than the normal check-in hours (arrived at the hotel at around 8-ish am haha!) but the receptionist didn't make us wait until the check in time (like most hotels normally do!) since he said, we booked quite early they've already made up and clean the room just in time for our arrival. The hotel staffs in general are way way nice, very accommodating, very approachable and very helpful. The room itself (we had a twin room) is in decent size (just perfect, not too big but not too small either) and theirs has that cozy feeling the moment you step in your room :) The room is always made up and they change everything that needs to be changed frequently and I mean everything. There's just one thing though, the Fuchsia paint color of the hall to the room/s is quite eerie (for me at least lol some would love it i suppose). But overall, I love Jasper Hotel and would definitely stay there again and recommend.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Ossabucco, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Hi meeriah
I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us a few days ago! Jasper team of people really enjoy interracting with our guests and will always go out of their way to do that little bit extra - it's easy giving access to a room if one arrives early and the room is ready. I've never been able to understand why many hotels don't do this! Pleased that you liked your room too!
Enjoy your travels and I hope we can welcome you and your friends back to the Jasper Hotel!!Appreciate you writing this review too ...Tony
Launceston, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

This trip was the second time that I stayed in Jasper Hotel and I was not disappointed. I was travelling with my friend and we had a twin room. The rooms are modern and well decorated. The staff are friendly and the place is spotless! The hotel's location cant be faulted as its right beside the Queen Vic Market and an easy 5 minute stroll into the city. I dont think that you can get any better value for your money in Melbourne.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Ossabucco, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2011
Hi Sarah
Fabulous that you returned to the Jasper and even better that you enjoyed your stay with us as much as last time! The whole team works really hard to give everyone a great experience - no matter how many times they have stayed. Consistency, good value and excellent service is what we're on about at the Jasper. Look forward to welcoming you back - thanks for the review!!
...Tony
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

If you are looking for a flashy, posh and bustling hotel where men constantly hold Blackberries to their ears, wear business suits and carry watches even more expensive than their vintage Rolls Royces, then this is not that place for you.

But, if tranquility and personalized service is what you are after, then Jasper Hotel is your mini goldmine, conveniently located at the tip of Melbourne's CBD.

The reception staff must have been anticipating our arrival, as upon walking in they greeted my boyfriend and I by his name, which is unusual since he has a Middle Eastern, exotic name.

Tim, the manager escorted us to the elevator and showed us to our room. I have always stayed at large, more bustling hotels and never had I been treated so attentively by the reception staff.

Very refreshing.

The rooms were clean and well presented. Our beds were made each morning, and toiletries adequately replenished.

The hotel was conveniently located across the road from a major tram station, allowing us instant access to every angle to beautiful Melbourne city.

I preferred that we were not located directly in the heart of the CBD, as it allowed us to walk and discover gorgeous boutique restaurants and book stores that we wouldn't have visited otherwise.

Breakfast was amazing!

I did not even have to try the food to decipher this, as Jasper Kitchen was hustling and bustling morning after morning after morning after morning. The gorgeous aromas of fresh bread and coffee wafted through the lobby and into the elevators, and my boyfriend and I just couldn't wait to devour our meals. I must say, the poached eggs are simply fantastic!

Finally, I would like to thank Karl, who organized an airport shuttle bus for us within a few hours, when one would generally need to give 24 hours notice.

I would definitely stay here again, and recommend anybody who is looking for a quaint and down to Earth place to stay to give it a try, also!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Ossabucco, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Hi Citydweller12
Well wow - thank you so very much for all your comments on your recents stay at the Jasper! It's just fantastic to read of your experience and that everything was so good for you. Interesting how you refer to the Jasper as being a "gold mine" - I like to think of us as a "hidden gem", especially in reference to our name.
Service, value and quality is what the entire team work at here. I'm really proud of them and thanks for the specific mention of Karl and Tim - definite pats on backs there!!
We look forward to welcoming you back... Tony
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Throughout my 2 night , 3 day stay in Melbourne city i enjoyed my stay at Jaspers.
Right on Elizabeth street, easy access to trams heading straight into the heart of the CBD or you could just make the 10 minute walk which was always enjoyable.
After a full day of wandering it was good to come back to a clean room with fresh towels and a tidy bed.
The front was more than helpful with directions and reccomendations. In particular Karl who organised a shuttle for us at such short notice.
The bathrooms are small yet they serve their purpose.
We stayed on the four floor and had no issue with sound from the street.

The air conditioning was awesome, we had the room up to 27 degrees within 20 mins.
The lifts are quiet, there is always someone at the reception desk (from what i could see).

All round it was a comfortable experience.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Hi Manoug
Many thanks for your feedback, especially referring to Karl one of our Front Desk Team Members! It's the team here at the Jasper that make the difference (in opinion) and I'm delighted your experience was how we always strive to make it.
I do hope you have the opportunity to return to the Jasper - it will be our pleasure to make you feel right at home!! Tony
Bairnsdale, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

Spent a two night Saturday and Sunday city break, with a friend in a twin room Theroom faced directly on to Elizabth Street, the windows had single glazing and were drafty. It was extremely noisy in the room, the traffic, trams and horse carriages sounded like they were in the room with us, all night!!. The room was very small with uncomfortable and small single beds. No fan in the bathroom which meant that the floor to ceiling louvred windows between bathroom and bedroom had to be kept open to clear the steam. Not much privacy for twin sharing guests!! Sound proofing between the rooms was non existent, so much so that we could hear what the people in the next room were saying. Reception told me when I asked, that they did not have another room to move us to, but would speak to the people in the next room about the noise. I presume they did, as the noise reduced, however Reception did not confirm this with us. On Sunday morning, someone had urinated in one of the lifts. It was still there at 4pm on Sunday afternoon when we reported it to Reception. They were oblivious!!. All in all it was awful. Not sure how or why this hotel warrants a 4 star rating, it has about as much atmosphere as a multi storey car park and the facilities are mediocre at best. It has to be said however, that they guy who cleaned our room on Sunday morning, changing towels etc, did a great job and should be thanked. Will definitely not recommend or be returning to Jasper Hotel.
Alison C

Room Tip: Tiny Twin Rooms. Small Single Beds. Noisy Rooms facing Elizabeth Street.Poor Sound Proofing Between...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Ossabucco, General Manager at Jasper Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Hi Alison
I'm really sorry you did not enjoy your stay at the Jasper - the vast majority of our guests do! I appreciate the modern design of the hotel may not suit, however it's the style and vibe we have which many love. Guests appreciate the great service from our staff too which is very highly regarded. Unquestionably the lift not having been attended to on the Sunday was a let-down for which I do apologise, let alone for having a guest of that calibre stay in the hotel...
My thanks for your comments and feedback - I do hope you'll give the Jasper another chance one day. We'll definitely look after you!! Tony.

Been to Jasper Hotel? Share your experiences!