“Grand exterior but dull and depressing interior” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Melbourne - MGallery Collection

You added Grand Hotel Melbourne - MGallery Collection to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Melbourne - MGallery Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Spencer St., Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Ranked #53 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
london
“Grand exterior but dull and depressing interior”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

The first room I was given I discovered was already occupied when I got to it. The second room had windows above head height so I couldn't even look out of them. I was then given a slightly larger room. It may be a question of taste but I found the decorations very dull and the rooms, though reasonably large, depressing. They very much reminded me of student bedsit accommodation back in the sixties, with furniture to match.

The hotel exterior looks very grand but it is in fact converted railway administration offices and is quite soulless inside.

The staff were helpful and pleasant but to my mind this did not make up for the other short comings.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
GrandGM, General Manager at Grand Hotel Melbourne - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, October 28, 2010
Dear Past Guest

Many thanks for your thoughtful feedback – it is much appreciated by myself and our staff, and I’ll be sure to pass your comments on to them personally. Please let me know if I can be of assistance in any way when you next say.

Paul McConville.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Wagga Wagga, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

We stayed in one of the two bedroom loft rooms. Space in the second bedroom was a bit tight, though adequate. No problem with space anywhere else in the entire hotel complex. Old Victorian Govt Rail HQ and everything is on a grand scale. Good location with trams adjacent and Geoff's Shed and the casino an easy walk. Lived on the street for our trip, so didn't try the bars, restaurants etc in the motel. Liked the sit down at a desk reservation. They handled that our party arrived in 2 cars about 5 hrs apart with aplomb. Not cheap but worth it for the experience.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
GrandGM, General Manager at Grand Hotel Melbourne - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, October 5, 2010
Dear Past Guest,
Adelaide
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

I have just stayed at your hotel and thought your beds are the most comfortable hotel bed I have every slept in. I also found the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
GrandGM, General Manager at Grand Hotel Melbourne - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, September 19, 2010
Dear Past Guest.

Thank you for your generous comments, our beds are available for sale at very reasonable prices. If you are interested in purchasing a hotel bed, please call hotel reception and one of our guest service agents will be available to assist you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Hotel, when next in Melbourne.

Regards.
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

The building is beautiful. However both the management / interior needs to be re-furbished

We stayed for 2 nights and I had broken sleep throughout due to the noise from the train track (it served as an unwelcome 5am wake up call) , tired air-conditioning and a rather soft/lump bed.

The room was very spacious but between spacious/dusty vs small/clean, I would prefer the latter at any time. We have stayed in much older properties / hotels which are not meant to be more "simple" than "grand" and I have never seen so much dust in a hotel room before.

I did not pack slippers as I kind of expected that they would be a given (having stayed in other Accor managed hotels) so I was confused to why they would bother supplying bathrobes but no slippers.

I was also confused to why they would bother supplying a complimentary bottle of wine and not complimentary mineral water.

We were fairly excited to see an expresso machine in our room but that faded when the coffee turned out cold.

Last but not least, we were stunned to be told that 1.5% would be added as a credit card charge when we were checking out. This is the first time that we have incurred such a charge from a hotel and it was not highlighted to us when we checked in (or in the Accor website for that matter). The service desk said it was on the form that we signed when we checked in....yes but it was not verbally highlighted to us at that point of time - which out of good customer service should have been.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
GrandGM, General Manager at Grand Hotel Melbourne - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, September 15, 2010
Dear Past Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We consider it an invaluable tool in helping us to continually improve on the level of service and facilities that we provide.
I will have our reception team look into the issue of the surcharge, and will ensure we look at a timely solution to this so we may communicate the commission on check-in to guests.. Please do let me know if I can be of assistance in any way when arranging your next stay.
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

Stayed here for three nights in July. It rained the first two nights, and the hotel restaurant was closed, but luckily the casino complex is very close. Lots of choices for food there (although not the best prices). Having tram stops right outside the hotel is great, and if you are traveling by train the hotel is very convenient to the station. The room (loft) seemed great initially, but soon realized the kitchen had hardly any utensils / pots, and the bathroom was quite small and needed updating. The loft bedroom didn't have much room to store suitcases. The living room portion was fine, had a desk too. Pool area, once you find it, was ok, but the "hot" tub was barely lukewarm. Also you can't follow the signs on the wall to find the pool, you are locked out of those staircase / elevator areas. You have to go down to reception and across a courtyard. The hotel should fix those signs.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
GrandGM, General Manager at Grand Hotel Melbourne - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, September 9, 2010
Dear Past Guest.
Thank you for your encouraging and constructive comments further to your recent stay at the Hotel.
Comments like these really do have a great impact on our team's commitment to impressing and improving every guests experience. We very much appreciate and value your comments regarding the pool directional signage and kitchen utensils & will address with our team.
Please let me know if I can be of assistance in any way when next you stay.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We have stayed at the Grand Hotel twice and we have been to the their RAB restaurant 4 times on separate occassions. Its the restaurant that brings us back to visit the Grand-with its superb meals on all occassions. The presentation and the freshness and taste of the food, is just amazing. On all occassions in the restaurant we have had good reliable service throughout the evening. And we loved the cozy atmosphere the RAB Restaurant has to offer-very intimate.

The hotel boasts the old-world charm and I just the love the overall feel of it. Twice we have stayed here and on both occassions I have requested a mezzanine floor suite. Great amount of space for the two of us. With a small kitchenette, lounge area & with the bed room and ensuite upstairs. It was very comfortable and clean for us.

Front reception service was okay but overall not overly friendly or very welcoming, this goes to the staff for breakfast too. Thank goodness dinner was such a great experience; it balanced the negatives out for us and we enjoyed most of our stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Past Guest.
Thank you for your encouraging and constructive comments further to your recent stay at the and dining experience at the Grand Hotel. Comments like these really do have a great impact on our team's commitment to impressing and improving every guests experience. We very much appreciate and value your comments. Please let me know if I can be of assistance in any way when next you stay.
Adelaide
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

Usually visit Melbourne twice year and love Spencer street and the ease of getting about. Choose the hotel as friends were staying there during the week for work commitments and we were joining them for the weekend.. After comparing pricing with various discount hotel sites, we booked a loft online direct with the Grand as the rates were the same, and believe in some instances you are assigned a better room. Both parties were dissapointed with the hotel.
On arrival at the Grand we were surprised that there was no grand staircase as the photos indicated.. and what an unimpressive check in set up.. and more surprisingly, no one offered to help with our bags .
Yes, the Grand is simply a magnificent old building, and no one will deny that..However we had expected old world charm through out the hotel...Well, to be honest there was no charm at all. It seemed that the hotel was very under staffed . There was no vibrancy, no people, no laughter, or happy faces,..(except George the older door man, he always had a welcome and a laugh... and plenty of local knowledge)
After settling in we decided to met at the bar for a drink. Well afte 1/4 hour and no service
(and no one else in the bar) we headed out to a near by hotel and then to SIlks and the Transit bar. Dining out at Lygon Street and night caps at the Crowne Plaza. We never did buy a drink at the Grand. ( surely a good bar would bring good revenue...! )
Dissapointedly, the hotel was very dirty with thick dust on many window ledges and wood work. Our loft included a small "fully equiped " kitchen..( well partly equipped.). Not sure what the advantage of that was, as there was no table and chairs to eat at...The bathroom was large but very little bench space for toiletries, hairdryer etc. Although the tiles seemed reasonable clean, once wet, mould appeared in the grout. It was easily removed and sugested to house keeping that a scrubbing brush would easily and quickly clean it . Dust had built up around the floor and corners, and pubic hair in the soap holder...! ( Yes groose.) We had no hot water one afternoon and evening... No one was very concerned about that. Luckily we were able to shower upstairs in our friends room..The television was only that....an older television... and far too close to the sofa. Dissapointingly there was no television up stairs in the bedroom . The beds were very soft. Many reviews mention the comfort, but I believe new matresses may be the order of the day as the middle of the bed was by far the most comfortable position., being firm, but soft pillow top.
Our rate included breakfast and was indicated on our confirmation slip as "breakfst included."._ Headed down to breakfast the first morning and on seating advised the waitress of this. We had to wait each morning for our breakfast order to be taken, and the tea and cappacino (always half cold )came long before the breakfas arrived.
Shock horror, when we checked out we were charged for some breakfast items. Each morning my husband had a cooked breakfast, choosen from the menu and priced about $20. ( this is apparently a plated bereakfast and un knowing to us was what the breakfast included in our tarrif. was. ) I opted for the toast and condiments ( and was charged $10.50 each day) Plus we were also charged for tea and coffee. When has tea and coffee been charged and what constitutes a plated breakfast.? Why didnt the staff expalin this when seating us, or when taking our order...? Warning..Dont be caught..
With so much 4 and 5 star accommodation in inner city Melbourne, the Grand definately needs to make a few changes, keep in touch with the industry and update a few proceedures and staff training,. I believe the Grand is riding on the fact of its heritage, a heritage that cant be denied.. However if it intends to continue down the track of a true heritage experience, the granduer of such a place follows along with service and excellence through out. Sorry but you are missing the link and probably missing clients. Sure it was an expreience to stay in such a lovely old building....BUT that is all. We know there is plenty of choice where to stay in Melbourne. Very dissapointed that this stay didnt live up to our expectation.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
GrandGM, General Manager at Grand Hotel Melbourne - MGallery Collection, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
Dear Past Guest.

I will have our exec team look into the various issues of your most recent stay,I am personally extremely disappointed that elements of your stay did not meet our typically high standards.

Paul McCONVILLE

Been to Grand Hotel Melbourne - MGallery Collection? Share your experiences!