“All round fantastic hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Towers

You added Crown Towers to your Saves list
Crown Towers
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Whiteman St | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Family Retreat
Ranked #2 of 172 Hotels in Melbourne
west mids
“All round fantastic hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

We're from England and travelled to Australia on honeymoon for 3 weeks. My friend who lives in Melbourne booked this hotel as a surprise for us. I believe she had booked us an Executive room but on check-in they upgraded us to a Premier Club suite for free. We rarely stay in 5 star hotels so we were blown away when we got to our room. Amazing lounge area with floor to ceiling windows and great views of the city, walk in wardrobe, huge bedroom and huge comfy bed and a big bathroom with tv. Staff were friendly and helpful. Within 10 minutes of being in the room, concierge bought us complimentary champagne. Hotel foyer and outside appeared to be having building works but this didn't affect our stay. Location was great. We stood watching the the fire balls from our room in the evening. Fantastic hotel that added to a wonderful honeymoon in Australia.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Greek first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

We are frequent visitors to Melbourne for business and leisure. However this was our first stay at Crown Towers (usually stay at Sofitel or Westin) as we wanted to have lots of amenities for the children. The adjoining deluxe rooms were beautiful, room service efficient and the kids loved the pool, TV in the bathroom, the Christmas show in the lobby and the breakfast buffet. Our three day stay - during which we spent thousands of dollars on accommodation, room service and in the restaurants - was unfortunately ruined by an arrogant, dismissive concierge on checkout. We asked for assistance printing out boarding passes, and the young man who tried to assist at first was a bit out of his depth, so he called on a female concierge for help. She made no eye contact, announced the Qantas website was down and we would have to print out our boarding passes at the airport. As we had got as far as check-in during the online process, I asked a few questions (we are regular flyers and I have had trouble before getting boarding passes reprinted at airport kiosks) and she told me I was being 'ridiculous'. My family were appalled by her attitude - which was complete with eye-rolling. When I complained to her about it, she claimed I was being rude to her and she was argumentative and nasty. In my experience Concierges at luxury hotels are supposed to be unflappable and supportive. This was the most unprofessional performance I have ever witnessed and we will definitely not return to this hotel because of it.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Hobart, Tasmania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

Stayed here 2 nights in Sept 10, second stay. Regular visitor to melbourne and have stayed many places. This is by far the best. You pay for it and if you can afford it or as a special weekend away, well worth it. Rooms are spacious. Had a Deluxe room, easily took a fold out bed for teenage daughter. Bathroom is spacious and beautiful spa bath with flat screen tv. Nice walk in wardrobe/dressing room. Amenities of high standard. Bed, linen and pillows the best - you can even buy your own. The pool/gym facilties are excellent. Its location is 10 minute nice walk to city shops however surrounded by restaurants within and outside complex. On tram route. 10 minutes walk south on Clarendon Street are some great cheaper restaurants, and lovely little stores (South Melbourne). The complex has lovely restaurants but sometimes the cheaper ones get busy and not pleasant to go to. There is a Buffett at the end of Casino (near Metropole) that is much better than the one upstairs from food court. The retail shops are excellent and not all Versace, Prada, Chanel etc although they are there also. There is a DFO outlet just across the road near Hilton (10 min walk) and close to both train Stations.
Would recommend this complex - its far more than a hotel. Its well worth it and location is excellent and Crown is the nightlife/entertainment complex of Melbourne. It can be a bit busy and not as exclusive in certain parts of the casino, however the accomodation is excellent and well deserving of 5 stars.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

Just returned back from a quick two night trip to Melbourne, and have just finished telling my family and friends how amazing the Crown Towers was.

We checked in late but basically had no waiting time at all and the check in clerk was friendly. I did however have to let her know that as a part of our booking it included late checkout till 12pm, but I showed her my wotif booking and just like that it was fixed. We arrived at our room and I was blown away. The magnificent frosted glass doors to the bathroom, the separate dressing room/wardrobe and the nice sized LCD. My fiancé is a smoker and a few times we have been placed in non smoking rooms in various hotels, then asked to be moved to a smoking room and quite often then not the smoking floors and rooms are no where near as good as the room I had to give up :(

We had a bottle of sparkling wine included in our room package and it was there ready and waiting for us along with our evening turndown chocolates.

There were also complementary magazines in the room to read (poker, women’s weekly, money, and I think a travel one as well) this was a nice surprise.

We ordered Pizza from a fast food chain the first night as it was about 8.30 by the time we arrived, and the hotel did not look down on us or stick their noses in the air (we generally order take out at most hotels we have stayed at generally all 4 to 5 star)

I was not a fan of the feather pillows and if there was a choice of a pillow menu it certainly wasn't visible, so I tossed and turned the first night only to find a normal pillow in the wardrobe the next day! I assumed the spare pillows would be the same, but I least the hard way.

We also had breakfast included in our package, it was nice, not the most extensive buffet breakfast I have had, but everything I had was very nice, they only had shortcut bacon which was another nice surprise because that’s the only part I eat, so it was nice not to have to dissect my breakfast. I would pay to have breakfast again for the convenience of not having to hunt around for a cafe and ending up paying more than what we would have paid to have it at the hotel.

We checked out the pool, it was heated but too cold to swim in, and I was very disappointed that they didn’t have a separate spa! It was a part of the pool and although the jets had warmish water coming out of them it was still too cold to sit in.

Concierge and housekeeping were all very nice, we had to call concierge on the first night to take the drinks out of our bar fridge so we could fit our own in, and they were there within about 15 minutes. We had no hassles at check out, we thought we may have been charged for the drinks but we weren't.

After checkout the porter quickly found us a taxi and squeezed our bags into the boot and we were on our way. All up between walking out of the elevator, checking out and driving out in our taxi was about 3 minutes!

We loved it and would defiantly stay there again, Crown Towers makes every other 5 star hotel seem like there only a 3 or a 4 star.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

I rarely write reviews for hotels, but my experience in my recent visit to this hotel was so disappointing I feel compelled to this time.

Was in Melbourne for 1 night for business. We arrived late afternoon, and reception was so appathetic I felt they were doing us a favour - and we were paying more than $320 per night!

The rooms are spacious and well furnished, as you would expect of a hotel like this.

When leaving in the morning for the airport, there was no one helping to organise a cab. We were 3rd in a line of 12 grouops waiting for a cab, and which took 25 mins. We understand cabs can be difficult to get at times, but a hotel of this calibre should have cabs organised for what they should know is a busy time. Further, there should be staff at least showing some urgency to hail cabs.

After the 25 min wait we just made our flight to the airport.

We don't think we would stay at this hotel again as others in the city for the same price are much more professional and courteous.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

Very quick review... Stayed here more than once and always remember it as a fantastic 'destination' in its own right. Perfectly balanced - not 'too Vegas' but enough of an atmosphere to get you excited! Make sure you jump into the restaurant - even for a quick bite. And the spa is fantastic.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2010

I've stayed in several hotels in Melbourne and I have to say that this was by far the best hotel room out of all of them. We got a cheap deal through wotif that included valet parking, breakfast and a bottle of sparkling wine. The room was on a 20-something level and had a great view across the Yarra to Flinders Street Station. The room was stunning and beautifully laid out. There was a great little 'dressing area' that was nicely designed and not seen often in hotel rooms. Bathroom was great- big bath, shower, TV and very clean.

Breakfast, on the other hand, wasn't fantastic. The service wasn't polished and the restaurant looked a bit worn. The food was fine but nothing spectacular.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Crown Towers? Share your experiences!