“A little dissapointed” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Towers

You added Crown Towers to your Saves list
Crown Towers
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Whiteman St | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Family Retreat
Ranked #3 of 173 Hotels in Melbourne
“A little dissapointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

We stayed for only one night in a spa room. Check-in was fast, the room was lovely. Close to all shops in Melbourne. The only thing dissapointing was after dinner my husband decided to take a spa dip. After filling up and turning it on we noticed a black discharge from the jets. We called housekeeping and they were in our bathroom for over an hour trying to clean the tub, filling, emptying and re-filling it using a chemical cleaner. I eventually got fed up and asked to speak with management. To cut a long story short they moved us to another much bigger room which was gorgeous. But by that time it was 1am and we were too tired to enjoy it. So we jumped in the spa for while and went straight to bed. The next morning we left early due our warehouse being robbed! (what a night!) and sympathetic staff at check-out promised to send us our breakfast vouchers, which never happened. Anyway a great hotel despite this, but overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Greek first
sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

We recently returned from three nights at the Crown Towers in Melbourne. We were looking for a luxury mini break during our school holidays and we based our decision to stay here mainly on previous reviews.

I spoke directly with the hotel and booked a two bedroom suite, the most expensive room in the hotel, we received a rate of $1200 a night. The reservations lady assured me all the views were great and that there were three plasma TVs and that play station was available for the children to use as much as they wanted. She also told me there was a bowling alley in the complex as well as laser zone. More on this later.

We arrived at the hotel at 12.30pm. Admittedly 1.5hrs before official check in time. We were told the room was not yet ready and they would ring us as soon as it was. We asked an approx time, she said about 1 - 1.5hr. Offical check in was at 2.00pm. We decided to wander around and have some lunch. By 3.00pm we had still not had word, we made our way back to the hotel to find out what was going on. We had been up since 6.00am and just wanted to freshen up and enjoy our very expensive room! We were told yet again that it was still not ready, the young man was apologetic and asked if we wished access to the Crystal room for drinks, I declined saying all I wanted was access to our room. I asked for the duty manager who turned up and said he would check the room which he did. He then asked us if we wanted a bottle of champagne or wine as compensation. I am sorry but a cheap bottle of wine does not compensate for waiting over 1.5hrs beyond the check in time. I felt funny answering the question, it should not have been asked as far as I am concerned, it should have been automatically done, champagne and chocolates and an apology note. I replied what we really wanted was a late check out on the Thursday to make up for the time we had been kept waiting. He thought there would not be a problem with this.

We went to our room and were still kept waiting a further 20 minutes for our bags, it was nearly 4 o'clock.

Finally they turned up and we began to investigate the room. Certainly the furnishing were pleasant enough, large spacious rooms and bathrooms all very clean and well maintained. The view however left a lot to be desired, it overlooked building sites complete with cranes and old warehouse looking buildings. Not quite was I was led to believe. My son turned on the TV to discover the play station was pay only, at $20 per hour. Call me naive but this was not what I was led to believe. When someone is selling the features of the room and in the same sentence tells me there are TVs in every room and playstation for as long as you like, with no mention of payment, I understand that to be part of the package. Apparently not. We voiced our concern and were given an amount of credit to use.

We all wanted a cup of tea, but alas, even though it was a suite for 4, there were only 2 cups. The turn down staff arrived and I asked for additional clean cups please. We were left with one clean and she left the two dirty. hmm.

The internet connection also kept dropping out and one pays for a 24 hr period. This was annoying for my husband trying to do business.

One afternoon we decided to go to the Galatic Circus, ie the pin ball parlour place with the ten pin bowling and laser zone. The bowling alley had just been closed the day before for five weeks for renovations and the laser zone was booked for a private function. Another unsuccessful attempt at enjoying ourselves. Not that it was critical but surely the reservation staff should not be selling faciilites that are closed, they should have been made aware and made mention when we booked that the bowling was unavailable.

At no time during our stay did we receive a phone call asking if everything was OK and no complementary apology gift ever arrived.

I don't know what rooms you had to book to receive a butler and the champagne and chocies previous reviewers have mentioned!

The whole delayed start and lack of finesse really annoyed me, this was meant to be something really special. We were never made to feel special at all, the hotel was packed and they really couldn't have cared less. I would never stay here again and would not recommend it to others. Maybe you are just better off with a "basic" room. Forget the suite, definately not worth the huge $$$. Ok, you book into a casino then you should expect a bit of tacky in the decor, well you certainly get that in the foyer!!

I will try somewhere else next time. Very disappointing.

• Liked — having two separate bedrooms
  • Disliked — delays / lack of interest
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Crown Towers Melbourne for a week in a beautiful suite on the 8th floor with access to the Crystal Room the seperate check in area is great and we were treated like VIP's. The suite was breathtaking we had a view over to St Kilda Beach and Port Phillip Bay. The lounge was a modern the auto blinds and drapes were novel. The bedroom was huge bigger than the lounge room and the bathroom was enourmous with a spa bath with views to the bay. Our wardrobe was the size of a small bedroom .I was surprised that they had no dining area as the suite was so big. We had our own butler he was nice and respectful and helpful. I think we paid about $1000 per night but it was well worth the money. The breakfast in the Crystal room was the same every morning which was a bit disappointing after a week your sort of over the hard bacon and eggs but the view is wonderful. They also have private saloons on this level where you could dine in private or have a meeting there is also a small library of books and when i used this area they made me cappuchinos and brought me biscuits. The private entrance was nice. The bar was well stocked the food was OK but we've had better and worse. The room had fresh flowers beautiful books lovely linen large plasma screen & stereo. I went to the spa and had a few treatments and I loved this area the staff were freindly and the treatment room was floor to ceiling marble just amazing. The hairdressers was also good they did a great job and they don't overbook so you have your hairdresser the whole time (no sharing) I didn't use the pool but it looked beautiful and extremely large. There is a seperate lift from the pool area for the private suites. I would recommend this hotel and we will be going back next year.

Stayed July 2007
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2007

I am a Melbourne local and decided to check out what is supposed to be our top hotel - Crown Towers. I have travelled through Europe and USA and have seen some good hotels. Crown Towers is a hotel which makes a city proud. With only one gripe, that is the cold room service meals, I would rate this establishment as beyond excellent. I stayed in a standard room with a Yarra River view, (even though a Bay view was requested - no problem). The room was meticulous. I tried to find fault, but could not. The bed was luscious and lovely to look at, lots of color coordinated pillows. Chocolates arrived a few hours later with the turn down service. The 42" plasma was wonderful, though the channels could only be changed by pressing the - button, so one had to go through all of the endless channels to get back to the choice. The channels are numerous, about 40 or so, including Asian and sporting channels. No complaint there. The spa bath was lovely, the mirrors many. The room had a walk in closet. The windows were spotlessly clean to enjoy the view. Even the newspaper arrived in a cloth bag! I requested ice twice, (annoyingly no ice machine on the floors), and each time a massive ice bucket arrived full of ice. It appeared there were other locals checking in to enjoy the hotel. It is important to note that there is no intimidation factor at this hotel.

I ordered 2 hot room service meals, but both arrived lukewarm, fries were actually COLD. However, the meals were still enjoyable. I did not want to risk paying $20 for cold eggs in the morning so I didn't bother. Crown Towers, this should not be happening. All staff were friendly and housekeeping are the best in the world if my room if anything to go by. Yes, the hotel is pricey, but boy, you will not leave there regretting your splurge.

• Liked — fantastic room, so clean and classy
  • Disliked — cold room service meals
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

This place oozes class. No faults here. Classy place. Just pretty expensive.

• Liked — luxury accomodation
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2007

I recently stayed at Crown Towers Hotel in Melbourne for my 1st Wedding Anniversary and I was in absolute awe of the hotel. The room was enormous (It was a standard Deluxe King Room) and had a brand new plasma TV- the biggest TV I had ever seen. The view was just as impressive, we were facing towards the Melbourne Aquarium and had a perfect view towards where the fire shoots every hour.

What can I say about the swimming pool...it is absolutely the most luxurious swimming area I have seen...from the moment we arrived the service has been fantastic, everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming- the customer service is exceptional and staff at the Reception Desk were so wonderful and really made it a special night my myself and my hubby.

I would definitely recommend Crown Towers for those wanting a romantic getaway or just a night out on the town

• Liked — exceptional customer service and fantastic rooms
  • Disliked — Having to leave, I would of liked to stay for a week!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

We stayed at Crown Towers to celebrate a birthday and the hotel was fantastic! We live 15 kilometre's from the city but decided to splurge on a hotel for the night and Crown did not let us down. Our room was a cuite on level 20 which had amazing views of the city. The room was spotless, the sofa and bed were very comfortable and the local and activites for the night kept us busy until the early hours of the morning. Everything about the hotel met expectations, clean, tidy and good customer service.

• Liked — How soft the sofa and bed were!
  • Disliked — Automatic blinds were either up or down, no partial adjustment.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Crown Towers? Share your experiences!