“5+++ star experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Towers

Save Saved
You added Crown Towers to your Saves list
Crown Towers
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Whiteman St | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Adelaide, Australia
“5+++ star experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

This hotel is by far the best hotel I've ever stayed at. My partner and I were at another hotel in Melbourne for a few nights then stayed at the Crown Towers for our last night which was my birthday to splurge and go all out.

We arrived early and our vehicle and luggage were immediately taken care of. We wandered around the casino and had a couple drinks while we were waiting for our room to be ready, which didn't take too long after 2pm.

We had booked a Premier Suite and when we got our room keys we found our request for a higher floor and city views had been honoured as we were on the 27th floor with a spectacular view of the Melbourne city skyline.

The room itself is AMAZING. You walk into the lounge area which has the minibar, desk/working space, and a huge plasma TV. Then there is a hallway to the bathroom (has it's own tv!), walk-in closet, and bedroom which has yet another plasma TV... the place is huge. Modern chic decor, comfy furniture, huge luxurious bathroom with tons of amenities, large windows (which were a bit dirty but that really is the only thing we could find to criticize about our stay!).

I had a massage treatment at their day spa which was relaxing. The pool area looked wonderful and inviting though we didn't go swimming due to time. The concierge was very helpful with my partner as he wanted to set up balloons/streamers etc in the room while I was at the spa. Every staff member we encountered was kind and professional.

I would love to go back someday. It is expensive but if you can afford to spend a few extra dollars then stay here at least once - it's worth it!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

927 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

By far the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in.
The rooms were amazing, large, clean and lavish.
The bathroom was also incredible.
Dont be put off by the Casino aspect, you wouldnt even know you were there.
Great hotel for a special stay/wedding night etc.

england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

what a fabulous hotel we booked with travel republic and when we arrived at the hotel they said we were booked in the crown promenade which is in the same hotel complex we went to have a look at this but it was nowhere near as nice as the crown towers which i booked luckily i had it all printed off on the internet which stated i had booked at the crown towers so the lady at the crown promenade said obviously my booking had been made for the crown towers and to go back,the staff were superb they gave us a room immediately and said they would sort it out.they gave us a fabulous room overlooking the river yarra and they must have sorted the problem out as they told us it was fine to stay there.excellent staff,excellent room,overall fantastic stay.

Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

Went to Crown Towers for two nights. We arrived soon after midnight and were upgraded to a suite, sporting a 180 degree view of the Yarra River and Melb City skyline. We required a foldaway bed to be brought in - and it came promptly with a box of chocolate truffles. Room service was reasonably prompt.

The lounge area, bathroom and bedroom were in immaculate condition. Staff were very friendly and professional, particularly in the breakfast area where they looked after my daughter by providing coloring in book & pencils.

Swimming pool area was also very nice. Only complaint was that the showers probably required a little more water pressure - but that's nit picking.

Will definitely like to come back, however, am also curious to try the new Hilton and a few other spots.

Overall, Crown Towers is highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

We stayed at the Crown Towers after experiencing a couple of unsatisfactory stays at the Crown Promenade. We had read such good reviews about the Promenade that we decided maybe the first time or two we were just unlucky...but no...bad service and rude staff BOTH times.

So this stay, since we like the casino, area we decided to give theCrown Towers a try. The Towers is a bit more expensive but well worth the extra expense. We love the area and having shops, food outlets, cinemas and taxis all right there for us. We found the Towers staff to be friendly and very helpful and accomodating. The rooms were clean, well appointed and spacious. The only complaints we might have are that the room needed a bit more light and the comforter was too heavy for the time of year. Oh and it is time hotels give FREE internet, it seems crazy that Australia has not caught up with the rest of the world in giving free wifi. But since that seems to be the norm not really a complaint, just something I think a 5 star relatively expensive hotel should have as standard.

We arrived 7am after a midlight flight from Perth. Since they had a room ready they let us check in early which was a FANTASTIC way to make a customer happy. So few hotels do this and do it with no charge! A bit of good service and caring by the hotel can go a long way toward customer satisfaction. So many thanks to the desk clerk who accomodated us! It started out the trip really well and the hotel and staff never let us down in the 5 nights we stayed. We travel to Melbourne a couple of times a year and we will definitely be back!

Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

My recent stay at Crown was my second, and it was still tacky, worn and shabby and with rude staff who couldn't care less.

Stayed with a friend who surprised me with the whole 5 star thing but wasn't aware of my antipathy towards this hotel. It was however a lovely gesture and I tried to ignore my misgivings.
Unfortunately the hotel still has possibly the worst (non hovel) service of anywhere I've ever stayed.
Had to wait in line for nearly 20 minutes to check in, check in staff denied he had booked and requested a King sized bed. We got twins pushed together - I wouldn't accept that in a 3 star place let alone a supposed 5 star.
Furniture was worse than I remembered (not sure it's been upgraded at all in the intervening years) cheap, daggy and very worn with scratches, stains and chips. The rooms are badly lit and always felt dingy and dark.
Room service took over an hour and was so disgusting we ended up venturing out to restaurant (not in the Crown complex because they're either massively overpriced and/or gaudy tourist trap nightmares) My friend will pretty much eat ANYTHING and while I'm much more fussy I was planning on not getting dressed and leaving the room for the night (sort of the whole point of the room for us) but could not stomach the bland, over cooked rubbery and cold chicken with congealed claggy sauce.
It was really disappointing for my friend who'd dropped a significant amount of money thinking Crown was the best hotel in Melbourne.

Crown has appalling service (and has had for years) and simply isn't worth anywhere NEAR the amount they charge for their basic rooms.

My ratings are based on Crown's room rate - eg I've starred it as terrible on cleanliness , while I've certainly stayed in dirtier places, they were hostels and budget B&B's in dodgy parts of NY. However even if Crown was only a 3 star basic business type hotel/motel room or a no star hostel I would still think it's service was bad enough to be labeled terrible. Unfortunately terrible doesn't really cut it but it's the lowest TA will allow.

I am, once again, amazed that they haven't been squeezed out of business by the numerous better serviced, decorated and cheaper hotels in Melbourne. Can only assume they get enough business from Asian gamblers to keep them from having to care at all about the concerns of their other paying guests.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

I stayed at the Crown Towers immediately after staying at the Langham. Two amazing hotels but very different.

Crown Towers is trying to be the trendy place and in most cases it does suceed. The check in lady was very nice and i asked for and received a complimentary upgrade. I tried to tip her $20 as per normal in most places around the world when you get a free upgrade but she wouldn't accept it. Very nice lady. My room really was stunning. Very modern with style which isn't overboard. The technology in the room is impressive with a nice 42 inch HD plasma with many TV channels and a good interface. The light switches are also well done and easy to use. My only minor complaint was with the internet speed which seems to be universally capped in Aussie hotels to no faster than 50k/s.

The bathroom is stunning with a nice bath, separate toilet cubicle and shower cubicle. Heaps of space. Overall the room was very spacious and had everything you could want.

The Crown complex is very good but i will stop short at calling it amazing. There are some nice restaurants, had a wonderful meal at the No 8 restaurant. There is also a very nice foodhall if you want some cheaper but still nice eating. Really is no need to ever get room service when you can pop down and pick some food up to bring back to the room. There is also a cinema, the usual overpriced shops and a few nightclubs. There are much better nightclubs to go to outside the crown which aren't far away in the city and other areas in South Melbourne. Do some research if you want to go clubbing in Melbourne.

The casino disappointed me a bit. I felt it lacked personality, but hey any casino does after going to Vegas.

Overall the crown is a wonderful hotel well suited to most people but especially those on the younger side.

The staff at the Crown like any big place are mixed. You get nice friendly ones and you get the young guys who don't give a toss about any customers who aren't hot females. They devote 99% of their energy trying to pick up girls on the job and only 1% on the rest of the hotel's clients. Definitely isn't the same personal service that i got at the Langham but that didn't really bother me.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to Crown Towers? Share your experiences!