“Great stay!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Towers

You added Crown Towers to your Saves list
Crown Towers
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Whiteman St | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Family Retreat
Ranked #3 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth
“Great stay!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

We stayed at the Crown Towers after experiencing a couple of unsatisfactory stays at the Crown Promenade. We had read such good reviews about the Promenade that we decided maybe the first time or two we were just unlucky...but no...bad service and rude staff BOTH times.

So this stay, since we like the casino, area we decided to give theCrown Towers a try. The Towers is a bit more expensive but well worth the extra expense. We love the area and having shops, food outlets, cinemas and taxis all right there for us. We found the Towers staff to be friendly and very helpful and accomodating. The rooms were clean, well appointed and spacious. The only complaints we might have are that the room needed a bit more light and the comforter was too heavy for the time of year. Oh and it is time hotels give FREE internet, it seems crazy that Australia has not caught up with the rest of the world in giving free wifi. But since that seems to be the norm not really a complaint, just something I think a 5 star relatively expensive hotel should have as standard.

We arrived 7am after a midlight flight from Perth. Since they had a room ready they let us check in early which was a FANTASTIC way to make a customer happy. So few hotels do this and do it with no charge! A bit of good service and caring by the hotel can go a long way toward customer satisfaction. So many thanks to the desk clerk who accomodated us! It started out the trip really well and the hotel and staff never let us down in the 5 nights we stayed. We travel to Melbourne a couple of times a year and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Greek first
Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

My recent stay at Crown was my second, and it was still tacky, worn and shabby and with rude staff who couldn't care less.

Stayed with a friend who surprised me with the whole 5 star thing but wasn't aware of my antipathy towards this hotel. It was however a lovely gesture and I tried to ignore my misgivings.
Unfortunately the hotel still has possibly the worst (non hovel) service of anywhere I've ever stayed.
Had to wait in line for nearly 20 minutes to check in, check in staff denied he had booked and requested a King sized bed. We got twins pushed together - I wouldn't accept that in a 3 star place let alone a supposed 5 star.
Furniture was worse than I remembered (not sure it's been upgraded at all in the intervening years) cheap, daggy and very worn with scratches, stains and chips. The rooms are badly lit and always felt dingy and dark.
Room service took over an hour and was so disgusting we ended up venturing out to restaurant (not in the Crown complex because they're either massively overpriced and/or gaudy tourist trap nightmares) My friend will pretty much eat ANYTHING and while I'm much more fussy I was planning on not getting dressed and leaving the room for the night (sort of the whole point of the room for us) but could not stomach the bland, over cooked rubbery and cold chicken with congealed claggy sauce.
It was really disappointing for my friend who'd dropped a significant amount of money thinking Crown was the best hotel in Melbourne.

Crown has appalling service (and has had for years) and simply isn't worth anywhere NEAR the amount they charge for their basic rooms.

My ratings are based on Crown's room rate - eg I've starred it as terrible on cleanliness , while I've certainly stayed in dirtier places, they were hostels and budget B&B's in dodgy parts of NY. However even if Crown was only a 3 star basic business type hotel/motel room or a no star hostel I would still think it's service was bad enough to be labeled terrible. Unfortunately terrible doesn't really cut it but it's the lowest TA will allow.

I am, once again, amazed that they haven't been squeezed out of business by the numerous better serviced, decorated and cheaper hotels in Melbourne. Can only assume they get enough business from Asian gamblers to keep them from having to care at all about the concerns of their other paying guests.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

I stayed at the Crown Towers immediately after staying at the Langham. Two amazing hotels but very different.

Crown Towers is trying to be the trendy place and in most cases it does suceed. The check in lady was very nice and i asked for and received a complimentary upgrade. I tried to tip her $20 as per normal in most places around the world when you get a free upgrade but she wouldn't accept it. Very nice lady. My room really was stunning. Very modern with style which isn't overboard. The technology in the room is impressive with a nice 42 inch HD plasma with many TV channels and a good interface. The light switches are also well done and easy to use. My only minor complaint was with the internet speed which seems to be universally capped in Aussie hotels to no faster than 50k/s.

The bathroom is stunning with a nice bath, separate toilet cubicle and shower cubicle. Heaps of space. Overall the room was very spacious and had everything you could want.

The Crown complex is very good but i will stop short at calling it amazing. There are some nice restaurants, had a wonderful meal at the No 8 restaurant. There is also a very nice foodhall if you want some cheaper but still nice eating. Really is no need to ever get room service when you can pop down and pick some food up to bring back to the room. There is also a cinema, the usual overpriced shops and a few nightclubs. There are much better nightclubs to go to outside the crown which aren't far away in the city and other areas in South Melbourne. Do some research if you want to go clubbing in Melbourne.

The casino disappointed me a bit. I felt it lacked personality, but hey any casino does after going to Vegas.

Overall the crown is a wonderful hotel well suited to most people but especially those on the younger side.

The staff at the Crown like any big place are mixed. You get nice friendly ones and you get the young guys who don't give a toss about any customers who aren't hot females. They devote 99% of their energy trying to pick up girls on the job and only 1% on the rest of the hotel's clients. Definitely isn't the same personal service that i got at the Langham but that didn't really bother me.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

From booking over the internet the week before to leaving the hotel this was a fabulous experience. We booked a one night stay for our wedding anniversary and opted for a package with valet parking and breakfast.

We were met at the front door by efficient and friendly valet parking staff and the excellent and professional service continued from there. Front staff were busy but efficient and once they were engaged with us were not to be distracted by others until our booking was complete. The room was as was expected with the bathroom all marble and included an LCD TV over the bath. The view over Melbourne is disappointing (not Crowns fault!). It seems that the river is dirty, the buildings either shabby or dirty and they obviously had a sale on yellow bricks thus the Flinders St Railway station.

In all the hotel was great. Beds were turned down while we were out. A surprise bottle of bubbly arrived while we were out and breakfast was a feast. A fabulous experience and we have no hesitation about returning for another special celebration. Special thanks to all the staff at Crown Towers who 'just get on with it without the fuss'. 10 out of 10.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

My wife and I are from Melbourne and stayed at this hotel on our wedding night recently. On arrival, we were told that the only king room available was a smoking room as apparently we hadn't specified a preference upon booking the room some weeks earlier. The options flatly put to us were to take a room with two queen beds or wait half an hour or so for presumalby a room to become available. With my wife in her wedding dress and a large group of friends waiing for us at a nearby hotel, we had no choice but to take the twin room. The lady at reception then in a patronising tone asked us if we liked champagne and chocolate then told us some would be sent up. I almost declined the offer but didn't want to make a scene.The attitude and tone of this encounter really put us both offside right from the start. It was like we were a hassle for them and they wanted us to know it. Absolutely no effort was made to make us feel special. I'm a pretty laid back sort of bloke but given we had paid nearly $500 for the room and it was our wedding night, to say i was unimpressed is an understatement. To be fair, the room and view was excellent but the service and casino atmosphere wasn't what one wants on his or her wedding night. We are currently in Europe on our honeymoon and to be frank, we have experienced better service and value in some of the 2-3 star hotels here at half the price of a room at crown. Dissappointing, over priced and over rated.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

I visited the Spa at Crown Towers today. It was a very expensive experience and although the girls were very nice I really felt it was not worth it.
Compared to Spa experiences in Asia it was totally sub standard, at nearly $300 I could do a lot more with the money.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

Checked in at 2pm to an Executive Suite. Got up to the room, and realised that is was a smoking room - ugh. We've stayed at Crown many times before and we have quite a detailed record in their system. Had asked for non-smoking room when doing the reservation over the phone, unsure as to why this then happened. Called downstairs - "yes come down, I have another room available". Get downstairs - queue is ENORMOUS and slow moving.

Finally get served after queuing for another 15 mins. Frosty, pompous reception clown- "sorry - you'll now have to wait as no rooms available, all being cleaned". They couldn't tell us how long we would have to wait. "You'll just have to wait in the lobby until we call you". Getting annoyed now, as our afternoon (special break without the kids) is rapidly disappearing. Wait, wait, wait....... Do we have to get in the queue again??? Yes - ARGH!!! Groundhog day.... We queue three times to finally get our room key.....

I can't believe a hotel like this doesn't have enough cleaners to clean the rooms prior to the next day's checkin. Also, during the entirity of our stay, dirty room service dishes sat on the carpet outside our room. Various staff had all walked past and ignored them.

It is highly unlikely we will stay here again. We expected much more for approx $500 per night.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Crown Towers? Share your experiences!