“Luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Towers

Save Saved
You added Crown Towers to your Saves list
Crown Towers
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Whiteman St | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 171 hotels in Melbourne
“Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed one night as a birthday suprise for my mother. It was amazing, we were upgraded to a premier room from a delux room which was very nice of the staff.

The staff were very pleasant, and the hotel itself is stunning. We walked into the huge reception/waiting area to a piano and lady singing. It was completly what I had hoped for in a 5 star hotel, and I'm very glad I took my mother for her birthday.

The room was amazing! The view out of our window was fantastic, we could see down the yarra to Flinders Street station (I had added a note to my online booking requesting city views if at all possible).

The only downside to the experience was the quality of sleep, but I dont appoint this to Crowns error, the beds were lovely! It was just that on our level there were guests who, at the very early hours of the morning, kept entering and exiting their room banging their door shut and yelling out to each other.

We will be staying again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

1,012 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
MELBOURNE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Crown towers 5/10/13. When we checked in the Reception suggested we could wait until later in the afternoon for a room on a higher level or check in now to a room on the 5th floor. We opted for the 5th floor as we were looking forward to getting into the room. It was a lovely room with a nice view so we were happy. I was unable to locate a hotel services folder and the tv seemed difficult to work out but otherwise the room was fabulous. The bar staff were busy but a friendly smile would go a long way, The staff in the conservatory at breakfast were unwelcoming to say the least, as soon as we arrived the waitress told me breakfast finished at 10.30, we were made to feel like we were inconveniencing them as they re set tables around us. I understand they had to set up for lunch but their manner was cold. We really enjoyed our satay and the hotel was great but for the money i did expect more from the staff.

Room Tip: Get to breakfast early so you can enjoy it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
MrAndrewCairns, General Manager at Crown Towers, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear VIEWTRAVEL,

Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay at Crown Towers.

While happy to see that you enjoyed your stay overall, I have shared your comments with the relevant managers that they have a look at how they’re team members are communicating in the outlets you have mentioned.

The hotel services folder is located in the one draw of the executive desk intentionally, to reduce clutter in the room.

I appreciate you bringing these concerns to my attention and hope we have the chance to welcome you again.

Kind regards,

Andrew Cairns
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

My younger son has always wanted to stay at Crown Towers because it is part of the world of entertainment at Crown (yes, he watches enough commercial TV to know the slogans). We thought we'd give him a treat and have a night there together with a movie at Village Cinemas (the surprisingly fun Smurfs 2) and a walk along the Southbank Promenade and time in the room to enjoy the amenities. This is a five star hotel so we expected excellent service with those little extra surprises. There was no turn down, no mints on the pillow, no little note saying welcome. The whole thing was very perfunctory from check-in to check-out. Perhaps the staff were all too busy getting ready for One Direction who were due to arrive as we checked out. Anyway, we felt very much like we were part of some assembly line of customers being churned through. For the money and the reputation, we expected better. Nothing was wrong - just nothing was special.

Room Tip: I think it's all about the gaming - through a couple of hundred grand on one of the tables and y...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear ggads,

Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay at Crown Towers.

While I was happy to read that you felt there was nothing wrong with your stay, your comments about the turndown experience were a concern as we do offer turndown service (and chocolates) nightly. The only exception to this being when a room has a “do not disturb” on the door, so whether this was the case or there was an oversight on our part for your room this particular evening, for which I apologise.

I hope we have the chance to welcome you again.

Kind regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

A great place to stay in Melbourne. Rooms are beautifullly appointed with every detail accounted for. My room even had a tv embedded into the bathroom wall at the foot of a large, deep bath. Views accross the Yarra and city are amazing.

The service is superb as is the location.

Room Tip: The higher up the floor, the better the room view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We live near Melbourne and wanted a special night away for our family. Stayed in the deluxe twin standard room on 24th floor. We had views of Federation Square and the Yarra. Very happy with our room, luxury furnishings, beautiful large bathroom with separate sections for shower and toilet, very comfortable bedding. We enjoyed the gorgeous indoor pool which was not crowded at all either in the afternoon, late evening or the next morning. Overall a lovely atmosphere, stunning hotel, gorgeous indoor pool.

Room Tip: plenty of room for one-night family stay in deluxe twin room, great size bathroom.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is our second visit to Crown Towers but this time we had access to the Crystal Club which is definitely worth doing. However a bit disappointed that evening cocktails are limited to a choice of 4-5 and if you want just a Martini they aren't able to oblige!

Our room had an excellent view and was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was very luxurious complete with TV over the bath. There was ample amenities and the soft slippers and dressing gown was very welcome. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable and you couldn't hear too much noise. Breakfast in the Club was good but I was surprised that there were guests in their dressing gowns allowed in. I guess I am used to a dress code for Club areas.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed at Crown to celebrate my wife's birthday. Our stay was in the Tower Suite as we had two of our children with us. The suite was outstandingly beautiful and I cannot fault it. We still had privacy from our bedroom as the children's bedroom was past our bathroom, through the lounge room, through the dining room and then to their room. I have read many reviews on TripAdvisor saying that the furniture and decor are dated, however that was not our experience at all. I believe the suite may have even had brand new carpet as there were the little cut pieces left that are difficult to get rid of after new carpet has been laid. It was also spotlessly clean. I tried to book the room for two nights, however it was booked the next night. In fact we could not get accommodation the next night at all for the four of us as Crown Towers was totally booked out. Next time I shall have to book earlier! From the moment you pull up to the valet parking you are met with great service. I would not want to be waiting there for a cab though as there was often a line waiting for more cabs. I do not believe this to be a Crown problem though, I think that is out of their control ;) We had room service for the four of us and it was outstanding. Again, I have read negative reviews on TA re same, however that was not our experience at all. The dedicated check in on Level 3 is very welcome and appropriate when spending this much on a room.
The few downsides we came across (maybe some out of Crown's control?):
1. When paying around $1600 for a room for a single night, I find it incredulous that you can not book in before 2 or 3 and then have to be out by 11. It's such an Australian thing and has not been my experience during my recent trip throughout the USA. I (apparently incorrectly) added a late checkout of 1pm to my booking for $100 but was called the next day to advise that it was not available on that room type. Seriously Crown, for $1600 a night plus paying an extra $100 for a late checkout, I think you can do better. I am sure the room cost plus the extra $100 would more than cover sending housekeeping to service the room between 1 and 3 when the next people checked in. I really would expect a bit more when paying that for a room for a night.
2. The Crystal Club for breakfast - whilst I appreciate that Crown attracts and retains a high Asian-base of clients, I really would expect the staff in the Crystal Club to speak better English. This hotel is, after all, located in an English speaking country. For example, our waitress at breakfast could not understand the following at all, a. "Do you have crumpets"? (no idea at all what crumpets were, even when we showed her that it was printed on the toaster); b. "Do you have an egg station?" (no idea and a lengthy explanation needed to ensue to explain); c. "May I please have the porridge?" (off the a la carte menu - again no idea - kept offering us orange juice instead). I think this could be done so much better.
I managed to order soft-boiled eggs from the non-existent egg station. They arrived and the white of the egg was still clear. I was very surprised at this from a 5 star hotel/restaurant. I would have thought that would be one of the first things learned in a chef's apprenticeship. After three people coming to try and work out what was wrong with the eggs, I gave up and asked them not to redo the order. I was not confident there would be a different outcome.
The coffee I ordered and the hot chocolate my wife ordered were both barely warm. My son's pot of tea was perfect. Having waited for around 10-15 minutes for the coffee in a not even half full restaurant, this was surprising. Although they offered to replace the undercooked eggs, no such offer was made to replace my wife's and my hot drinks. We were really surprised at this. There was no apology either. Again, 5 star - I expected much better. So many places are judged on the quality of the coffee. It was lovely tasting, but no where near warm enough.
The porridge never arrived and we gave up on it and went back to our room to pack up in order to leave on time. I will say, however, that the quality of all the other food on offer was sublime.
3. Please encourage those guests with small children to use a swim nappy for their children - maybe even provide them for the children and make it mandatory for small children to wear them. A small child defecated in the pool so of course it had to be shut down and cleaned appropriately. We were offered, and took up, the offer of a shuttle to the Crown Metropol to use their pool. Having stayed at that hotel previously and knowing their pool is beautiful we went. What a nightmare. There were about 40-50 children in there bombing, running, jumping, splashing and I think there may have been about two of those small groups of children being actually supervised by their parents. Yes, sure, have fun kids, but not at the expense of all the other guests. We couldn't even get a seat in the spa. It was full of kids. Maybe the Metropol could put on a pool deck supervisor? I know it shouldn't be necessary, however, it's my experience in 5 star hotels that the few privileged guests who have an over-inflated sense of entitlement ruin it for others. This could be overcome by a staff member supervising, even if only in really busy times. Staff acknowledged this when we signed in saying, "You've come at peak hour".
Conclusion - I love Crown Towers. Sometimes though, you just think, "...if they just attended to 'these' few and often small things, this place could be outstanding". Especially when you are paying over a thousand dollars a night. I would like to return. However, honestly,right now I am really thinking that I may just try out the other five star hotels in Melbourne that we've not tried as yet. My wife and I frequently have a mini-break in the Melbourne CBD at a great hotel. We probably will end up going back to Crown Towers at some point, however, I think in the coming weeks we'll check out the competition in Melbourne and see if they can get those 'little things' that you pay for in a 5 star hotel right. Crown missed the mark on this on this occasion. Interestingly, we went to Lorne the day after and stayed in 4 star accommodation and did not experience any problems of Crown's there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Crown Towers? Share your experiences!