“Lively hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Towers

You added Crown Towers to your Saves list
Crown Towers
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Whiteman St | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Family Retreat
Ranked #3 of 173 Hotels in Melbourne
Australia
“Lively hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

The service at this hotel is excellent and the rooms are very good. We tend not to use many of the facilities at hotels we stay at as we prefer to explore the surroundings so easy check in/out, friendly/helpful staff and clean rooms with a comfortable bed and good bathroom size are important to us. And of course is it close to where we want to visit as tourists. This hotel ticks all the boxes and is only a few minutes walk into the city and about 25 minutes from the airport outside of rush hour. If you are a gambler and like the idea of staying in a shopping mall type complex then that is an added bonus. If you know where you want to eat in Melbourne book before you arrive, nearly all the best restaurants are full at the weekends! Never been to Las Vegas but I imagine the hotel complex is a minuscule version of what you would find there. Not cheap but good value for money

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Greek first
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Wanted to stay here for some time. Room was large with 2 queen beds. Had access to the Crystal Club, which was nice but I as surprised that it was on the 3rd floor of the hotel. Normally club levels are near the top of the hotel. On our second day I was not feeling very well and as we were waiting for our driver to pick us up, I asked the concierge for a bottle of water and was promptly told to go downstairs to purchase one at the gift shop. Not an appropriate response from a staff member at a 5 star establishment. Great location.

Room Tip: Unless you really want Crystal Club, don't pay the extra for it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My previous review referred to all the great things about the Crown Towers room which don’t need repeating so I’ll focus on my recent experience in the Crystal Club.

I booked the two night stay far enough in advance to get good rates on the Crystal Club upgrade and I have no regrets. The breakfast was excellent but the highlight was the evening drinks and canapés; just make sure you don’t spoil your dinner appetite with such nice food! Thanks to the staff and Rain in particular who took the time to walk around and greet everyone at each table.

Now to a couple of small complaints:

Being a Silver Crown Member, I have access to car parking 24/7 so I presumed that I could park the car for the duration of the two night stay. However, I was informed by the Crystal Club staff that the parking offer is technically 24 hour parking so I needed to drive my car out of the car park; turn around; then drive it back in each day. I urge Crown to rectify this silliness.

Also, I’m going to chime in with a complaint about the 1.5% credit card surcharge. You could imagine that our bills at Crown Towers – especially at the Crystal Club – are not the cheap side so this 1.5% can start to add up. I would understand a surcharge for Amex; but I’m pretty sure Mastercard and Visa don’t charge that much in fees (if they do, Crown should bargain harder on behalf of their guests).

Apart from that, you can see I still consider Crown Towers definitely worthy of five stars. If you can get a good price for Crystal Club upgrade, definitely take advantage!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Crystal Club
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I am writing this review on my experience at Crown Towers, a hotel we have wanted to stay at for some time in Melbourne. I will go through all aspects of our stay, including the Crystal Club which is difficult to find good information or reviews on.
We stayed one night in a Premier Club Suite. We arrived early, 9:00 Monday, and went straight to the Crystal Club on level 3 to check in. This was a very pleasant experience, with very helpful and friendly staff. While our room was not ready we were able to go into the Crystal club which was still serving breakfast, where we relaxed and have something to eat and a coffee. We decided to go for a swim and movies while waiting for our room, as we were in no rush. Our room was ready by 1:00, ahead of the 2:00 check-in. Getting an early checking works at some hotels, but again it all depends on how busy they are, so I have no complaints, especially as we could use the facilities of the club and the hotel.
Premier suite: we requested a city view and it was everything we had expected, with amazing views day and night. The suite was large, with a separate lounge with very comfortable day beds which were great for watching TV. The TV by the way was huge, and there was also one in the bedroom and over the bath. The bedroom had a very comfortable king size bed, great luxurious pillows and bedding. The bathroom has separate toilet, deep bath and huge shower room. The separate dressing room was not really a dressing room, more like a small walk in robe. The toiletries were standard and plentiful, although the pool change rooms used Molton Brown products which are much better than the room ones (shame they did not use these in the room as well). The room was clean and well appointed, perfect for a luxury stay. My only complaint about the room facilities was the poor internet. This has been mentioned on trip advisor before, and while comments by management indicated they are looking into it, nothing has been done. Not only is it one of the most expensive 24 hour connections ($30), it was sadly one of the slowest I have ever used. Very disappointing, especially as they also had a land line connection, but after trying to connect I was told that it no longer worked and they only had wireless. This really is not good enough when paying $790 a night for a room, the internet should be free (it is at most other 5 star hotels I stay in, especially those on club levels).
Crystal Club: We usually stay in hotel club rooms, so this is a comparison based on what we typically experience. The club was well designed, elegant with comfortable seating. There was no view, but this was offset by having a nice outdoor terrace. Breakfast (6:30 to 11:00) was probably the best club breakfast we have ever experienced in a hotel club anywhere in the world (Hyatt or Sheraton), well done crystal club (the black pudding was amazing). There is a buffet of hot and cold food, cereal, pastries, as well as a small menu for eggs and other treats. Afternoon tea (2:00pm to 4:pm) was lovely with beautiful little cakes and chocolates, coffee and soft drinks. Evening canapés (5:00 pm to 7:30 pm) had a typical selection of hot and cold savoury treats, like sate chicken, sushi, meats and pickles as well as cakes etc.. The selection of wine and spirits were very good and the added selection of a few cocktails was impressive.
All drinks are table service, including coffee, water, juice during the day, as well as the alcoholic drinks in the evening. When we were there the club was very quiet, so we did not have to wait too long to order and receive our drinks, but long enough to think that during a busy service there could be a lengthy wait. This is particularly concerning for coffee during breakfast and the day, as staff are not always around and you cannot help yourself to a coffee using a machine and therefore save time. I think this is something the manager of the club should consider, as there is also no way of helping yourself to water or soft drinks, therefore increasing delays, especially during a busy service. All other clubs have coffee machines and drinks are out for you to help yourself.
The pool was amazing, had 2 person small spa, common steam room in pool area, gym but no sauna. Only negative was the pool change rooms, as they were not serviced well during the day and by the afternoon there were wet towels all over the floor and in the showers. Pool is open from 6:30am to 10:00 pm, great times.
Overall great stay, we loved it.

Room Tip: request city view Crystal club room.
Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Once again stayed at Crown Towers for work and once again had a fantastic stay. The staff are generally very helpful, the rooms are beautiful and large and comfortable. Did have a couple of problems with the tv in the bathroom not working otherwise no other problems for 5 night stay. has a convenient location close to the city and downstairs plenty of dining or food court or restaurants.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

It was my 6th annual visit to the Crown Towers in Melbourne and what was lovely was the warm greeting we had from the doormen who recognised me. Although i arrived early and my room was not ready, I decided to take a walk on the promenade and found one of many cafes to enjoy a coffee and a snack, which was welcome after a long flight. The hotel took the trouble to call my mobile when the room was ready. The room was such a welcome place to come back to. The chill-out (slightly hypnotic) music coming from the TV's welcome page, the comfy bed, the space in the bathroom, the walk-in wardrobe and the river view, and the yummy club sandwiches at room service, I really missed! The gym and leisure facilities are great, and the restaurants are superb. The service is excellent....well done for keeping up the standards....and love the re-vamped breakfast room over-looking the river. Can't wait for next year's business trip again....

• Stayed April 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stay at Crown Towers once a year, the room was a Premier Suite which was a great room, the layout is great with a separate bedroom and lounge area and the size is excellent. Probably one of the best we have stayed at in Melbourne. When we arrived to book in were told the hotel was full so we had to wait around 45 minutes for our room. We did receive a couple of complimentary drinks - the house white wine is terrible, as we did not have to pay for it was not so bad, did not finish it, it we had to pay would not have been happy. With the hotel being full looks as though the maids were under the pump as the room was not as clean as would have expected, but not as bad as others we have experienced. We had a package deal which was supposed to include a bottle of sparkling - this never arrived. This has happened in the past, not real concerned as we would not have drunk it while we were there but if something is included it should be delivered. Breakfast was OK at the conservatory nothing spectacular - prefer the breakfasts at the Langham.

Room Tip: The premier suites are great rooms, they are at the end therefore little noise and a great view over...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MrAndrewCairns, General Manager at Crown Towers, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear 121magic,

Thank you for your comments after your recent stay at Crown Towers.

While I am not sure what time you arrived to the hotel, check in is 2pm and we’ll always endeavour to have guests check in earlier than this, should rooms be available. Typically, we see delays on the weekends when the majority of our guests are here for leisure and will check out as late as possible with many arriving guests also looking to come in as early as possible. I am glad we were able to offer you a drink although sorry that it was not to your liking. We are also happy to store luggage for early arriving guests and can provide you access to the pool/gym/spa should you wish to change.

It was disappointing to read that you did not receive the bottle of sparkling you were expecting and also your experience of the room cleanliness. Your comments have been shared with the relevant managers for their review.
Overall, I appreciate that you consider the Premier Suite to be one of the best in Melbourne and do hope we have the chance to welcome you again.

Kind regards,

Andrew Cairns

Been to Crown Towers? Share your experiences!