“Mixed ,not our cup of tea !” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Towers

You added Crown Towers to your Saves list
Crown Towers
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Whiteman St | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Family Getaway
Ranked #2 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
Chipping Ongar, United Kingdom
“Mixed ,not our cup of tea !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Lets start with my booking .
Having booked a room at The Langham I was told by a friend in Melbourne that the corner suites in Crown Towers are fabulous . I enquired in May and given rates for 4 days in July . Two days later I went to book and the rates had gone up by 50 - 75 % on various days due to an event - Lions rugby . I bitterly complained ,copied in the GM ,saying I would stay at The Langham where I would not be ripped off.
Crown Towers ,to their credit, relented and gave me a suite at the original rate quoted ,but despite requesting a high level floor ,got their own back by allocating us a room on the lowest floor so we had views of the shops roofs and not the Yarra river .

On arrival at around 12.45 pm 3 or 4 door staff simply ignored me and I unloaded our own luggage ( the taxi driver was useless too ) . Reception was Ok ,reasonably friendly but were literally dumped in our room and no effort to show us around . First Impressions count !

The room ,however ,was stunning . Extremely comfortable ,large ,3 tv's ,sofas etc . Bed linen superb. But the lighting ! 3 or 4 fancy control panels that took ages to work out and all emanated a blue glow which made the room feel like a cheap disco ! I had to go round and put plasters on the blue glowing lights !

Wi Fi is 25 Aus dollars for 24 hours - get real Crown !

The hotel is vast sitting above a huge casino and shopping centre . The lobby s like an airport with every Tom Dick and Harry wandering through.

On leaving at 5,30 am Mon morning nobody was there to say farewell and had to load the taxi myself !

Had reported this all to the hotel via their online feedback form weeks ago ,but had no response .

Yes the room was superb but the experience should be more than that for the money . Would not return !
We did have a great chambermaid and concierge was helpful .

Room Tip: Go for a high and watch the prices .
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MrAndrewCairns, General Manager at Crown Towers, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Worldtraveller1953,

Thank you for your comments after your stay at Crown Towers, during the Lions Rugby Tour.

While it was nice to read your impressions of the room and that several staff were great with their interactions with you, I was disappointed to read of the issues you mention. Should you wish, I’d encourage you to contact the Hotel Duty Manager on 9292 6384 to discuss these further.

We pride ourselves on responding to any guest issues or correspondence within 24 hours. It would seem that there may have been some miscommunication in your case, which we’d be happy to investigate.

Yours truly,

Andrew Cairns

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We stay here quite often and we absolutely love it. I don't think you can find better in Melbourne! The facilities are first class and the rooms are superb. Even though its less than an hour from our house, it always feels like a holiday when we are there.

Cannes, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

One of the best hotels I've ever stayed. Deserved to be a 6 stars. Well-located in the Southbank, wide food selections and lots of shoppes in the hotel lobby floor, also the famous Crown casino. Top notch facilities, awesome indoor pool and gym. One let down is no free wifi is provided by the hotel management. With the price and 5 stars hotel standard, I think wifi is a must nowadays.

Above all, the room is very spacey, cozy, lavish and really comfortable. The two king sized beds room is really recommended! Make sure to choose that room.

• Stayed December 2012
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Crown Towers suite or the villa room as always amazing.

Great room, great service and great views.

People in room service more than helpful with making changes to our food.

I highly recommend staying here, stay in the suite or the villa with access to the Crystal club as the staff here are great.

In regards to front desk room wasn't ready at 3 pm so that needs improvement.

Room Tip: Get the suite or the Villa
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

As I write this review at 1am sleep has been impossible. There has been thumping music for hours and now someone nearby is moving furniture as well... Other nights football fans have been noisy.
The wonderful breakfast buffet, convenient location and well equipped rooms cannot compensate for the lack of sleep in this atmosphere.
In addition, a number of the staff I have encountered are poorly trained - at breakfast one kept leaning across us unnecessarily - and thought saying 'sorry' justified it.. And crossing in front of me 'to beat me' to space in walking around the conservatory.
Checking in involved a long wait with the only 2 staff attending to complex check-ins. It was a very long queue and no extra staff were called.
Next time I will avoid this 'party' hotel for a quieter location.

• Stayed July 2013
MrAndrewCairns, General Manager at Crown Towers, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Dear FlyingSOmewhere,

Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay at Crown Towers.

While I was happy to read that you found the breakfast buffet wonderful, the location convenient and the rooms well equipped, it is frustrating to see that we were not able to meet your expectations of us in a number of fairly basic areas. I am sorry for this and would welcome the chance to discuss your experience further, should you wish to contact the Duty Manager on 9292 6384.

Your comments have been shared with the relevant team members for their attention and again, I thank you for bringing these points to our attention.

Kind regards,

Buddina, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Room was excellent. Found the pillows uncomfortable but that is just me
Very comfortable and well appointed room with great view over the yarra river
The reception staff were excellent and very helpful
Restaurants galore. Close to shops and transport
Would gladly stay again

• Stayed July 2013
MrAndrewCairns, General Manager at Crown Towers, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Poolini,

Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay at Crown Towers.

I was glad to read that you enjoyed your visit and plan to return. The reception team have been copied on your comments about them being excellent and helpful. This is always appreciated.

When you do return, we offer firmer foam pillows in all wardrobes as well as a generous selection of pillows available upon request, should you have special requirements.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Kind regards,

Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed at Crown Towers for 4 nights and I was impressed by the quality of materials used when fitting out the inside of this hotel. It will last forever ! and congratulations to the team of architects/planners who were in charge. It goes with the saying : do something properly in the beginning and it will be less expensive in the long run. We had a large bedroom facing west towards the Yarra River and although not towards the centre city side, the view was fine. The place is spotlessly clean and my congratulations to the manager who is in charge of the servicing team. They certainly are doing a fantastic job in keeping the place look brand new. Our room had two queen beds and 3 comfortable chairs and a lovely large desk. It also had a walk-in wardrobe and an amazing bathroom. My daughter could lie in the bath and watch tv. The only negative I can comment on is that it took a while for the bath to fill, as if the water pressure was low. We had no problem with the water pressure in the shower. The towels and lined were of a high quality and as white as can be. We loved the bathroom accessories, good quality hair dryer and the chocolates at night and the complimentary newspaper.
Minor things that could be improved on: quality of ironing board and iron.
Since there is no free wifi could you kindly supply menus of the restaurants close to Crown. Of course free wifi would be greatly appreciated. We thought that the actual Crown Towers shop was very disappointing and it does not reflect what the hotel is all about.
Area for improvement: We thought that some of the reception staff command of English was not as good as it should be and some were not very friendly and forthcoming in providing information about the place and the locality of services on offer. I know it is a very large establishment and maybe one cannot expect boutique style service, but if that could be added it could up the establishment to a 6 star venue. It cost $35 per day to park in the car park directly beneath Crown Towers, but you can park for about $11 per day in the car park behind Crown Metropol off Clarendon Street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and the best view is towards the city centre.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Crown Towers? Share your experiences!