“Best hotel I've ever stayed in” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Crown Towers

Save Saved
You added Crown Towers to your Saves list
Crown Towers
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Whiteman St | Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria 3006, Australia (Southbank)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 172 hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
“Best hotel I've ever stayed in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

On a recent trip to Melbourne, my partner and I treated ourselves to night's stay at the Crown. WOW!!! Huge room, Comfortable King size, wonderful view of the river, giant bathroom with TV, modern everything, just exquisite! Loved the turn down service at night. Very reasonable prices if you book at least 3 months out directly on their website.We will def treat ourselves again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

927 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Warragul, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We have stayed in so many luxury hotels in Melbourne over the years, and l guess as we are not intested in the casino part is the main reason why we have never stayed at Crown Towers. However rest assured this will now be the only place we will stay in Melbourne from now on!.
As it was our 24th wedding anniversary we decided to stay here as it was close to the pickup/drop off point for thr Colonial Tram Restaurant (which ismalso another must do!!) we chose to stay in a Premier Club Suite as we always enjoy club room access for evening canapes etc. Our suite was beautiful and we were amazed at the overall cleanliness of the hotel and room for its age. The bed was one of the best we have had...so much so we bought their pillows and cases from reception!! We notice in a lot of hotels that as they get older they get "shabby" and are never well maintained. It is an credit to Crown hotel and all Staff that they keep the hotel in such impeccable condition. We were also impressed with all of the staff who were so friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
The choice of restaurants and place to just sit and relax is also something we really enjoyed. We ate at Lucky Chans one night and the food was wonderful. We also had dinner at The Atlantic and the Crafish platter for one was HUGE.
I guess as l said earlier that as we are not gamblers, we just always thought of Crown as a casino, but it really is an entertainment complex. We were pleasantly surprised and we are already planning our return given we are signature club members now.!

Room Tip: We had a city view suite and the view at night was stunning.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Can't fault this one. Big rooms. Great service. Luxury. Amazing complex with the best indoor pool in Aus. Terrific with kids and great value (374 paid inc breakfast, parking and room),. Fabulous! At check in I worked out I had booked the night before not the day we arrived. Oops! No issue at crown! They just said 'no issue' and put us in for that day with no extra charges, fuss etc - now that is service. We also had a bottle of champagne arrive from the GM. Wow! We travel extensively and can be a bit hard in reviews but truly can't say enough good things about crown towers. Enjoy!

Room Tip: River view is interesting.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Firstly, Crown Towers is a wonderful hotel. One of the absolute best in Melbourne. We have stayed MANY times, and spend in excess of $1000 for the room alone, not to mention food and beverage on top of that.

Until now, I have been extremely happy, no issues, no dramas, just a pleasant stay.

We called Crown Reservations to book a villa, which was our usual doing. Incredible rooms. However, the male receptionist we got was rude, unhelpful, and actually sounded to be slurring words.

My wife called him to make a reservation, and he placed her on hold for nearly 10 minutes. When he returned he said "nothing available but a villa, it would be to expensive for you as these are for VIP guests". My wife was lost for words, but I told her book it anyway regardless of the rudeness. She stated she would like the room and again, was on hold for 8 minutes. He returned "the room has been sold and nothing else affordable is available". What he didn't know is I don't care what a room costs, but I expect a high class service. I then spoke to him, first calmly, then when he said "mate, we can't help you, I don't care if you've spent x amount at crown, the only room is too expensive". What the hell? I swore at him and hung up. We stayed at The Grand Hyatts presidential suite, although lovely, it does not compare to Crown.

HOWEVER

We did end up staying at Towers the night after, as I had a business meeting at the complex that evening. As usual, the villa was brilliant, our butler very competent, and our room service dinner, which our butler organised from Nobu, delectable.

The villas are spacious, have wonderful views, and the mini bar is well stocked. The beds are comfortable and clean, and the villa bathroom is incredible. Nothing to complain about in that regard.

Crystal Club is also fantastic, our young child is always welcomed warmly, and the service there is always great.

Crown really need to get a handle on their reception staff, as this has left a bad taste in my mouth, and I refuse to make a leisure booking now due to this arrogant staff member (unless its work related).

• Stayed November 2012
MrAndrewCairns, General Manager at Crown Towers, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding Crown Towers.

Your kind comments about the property and the service are appreciated and have been shared with the Butler team particularly.

I was disappointed to read that one individual has caused such frustration relating to the handling of your reservation. Whilst I see this happened five months ago, I’d welcome the chance to further discuss this with you and can be contacted on (03) 9292 6688.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have stayed in 99% of the luxury hotels that Melbourne has to offer and I used to consider Crown Towers as the leader (certainly for accommodation). I have previously stayed over several occasions and overall it has been an enjoyable experience each time, however lately there is always something that leaves me feeling somewhat let down.

Our favourite room is the Premier Club Suite – which has a stunning outlook and gives us access to the Crystal Club that serves fantastic pre dinner drinks and canapés and the breakfast offering as of late has improved significantly. We have also been fortunate enough to stay in a 1 bedroom Villa, which is ideal for a very special occasion, and is one of the most beautifully appointed suites I have ever stayed in.

Overall, the Crystal Club is fantastic and well worth the additional money, however it is let down by the rather poor outlook (i.e. none). With the hotel being in such a great location, the Crystal Club does not take advantage of any outlook and has no view of anything, which is a let down to where it used to be located. As beautiful as the club is, it certainly does not have the vistas compared to a club such as Sofitel Melbourne.

The service in the club is inconsistent – either superb or abysmal. From my recent stay in April, my check in and check out at the Crystal Club were both fantastic. However, during evening drinks and canapés, there was one staff member in the Crystal Club who was so rude and arrogant (couldn’t even manage to muster a smile) we had to complain to management on duty, who to her credit was great and took the appropriate action then and there on the spot, as it was utterly horrendous. I followed up the next day with a written complaint provided to the management via a customer feedback form, which to date I have yet to receive a reply, which is a further example of poor service.

When I made my first booking, the reservations team member went over and above and was fantastic. However, literally 2 days later when I telephoned reservations to make another booking, I spoke to 2 different reservations staff and found them both quite rude and abrupt. It left such a bad taste, that I ended up booking The Langham instead for that evening, which is the worst mistake that Crown could have made.

Whilst the accommodation at the Langham does not measure up to Crown, it was the superb overall experience, attention to detail and service that really opened my eyes up to how much Crown is under-performing in these areas. Whilst I love Crown Towers, I am highly unlikely to return unless significant improvements are made to the service on offer.

I might not be a VIP gamer (whom I predict receive a far greater level of service than I have received as of late) however I am nevertheless paying a higher room rate than any other Melbourne hotel, to which I expect everything to be at a higher standard and consistently flawless – unfortunately as of late, it’s far from it.

Room Tip: For the Premier Club Suite - request one that faces the Yarra River - to have that circular glass fr...
Dear Joe,
Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay at Crown Towers.

While happy to read that you enjoy our rooms so much after obviously many years as a loyal guest, I was concerned to see that your experience of the service provided by the Crystal Club waiter and the reservations staff fell so far short of what we pride ourselves upon offering here at Crown Towers.

I do hope we have the chance to restore your confidence in Crown Towers with a future stay. Should you wish to discuss your experience further, I’d welcome the opportunity to talk with you and can be contacted on (03) 9292 6688.

Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Crown Towers with our nine month old for two nights and couldn't fault the the experience.

Our first impression was of friendly efficient staff starting with the valet service and then onto the bell boys and reception staff. Everyone was eager to make our visit as easy and seamless as possible. My husband accidentally left his mobile phone in our car and the valet staff were more than happy to retrieve it and send it up to our room- so kind.

We upgraded from a deluxe king room to a corner suite and were extremely happy with our choice, the room was spacious and the view from the tenth floor was amazing. The king size bed was so comfortable and the pillows the best I've had in a hotel. The bathroom was very spacious and luxurious, with a deep bath and television overhead. The shower was great with a large rain shower head that was the perfect pressure.

The room had all the extra touches to make the visit memorable. The eleborate lighting system allowed us to choose between low, medium or high lighting as well as being able to turn off all lighting at one button (next to bed). There was also a remote control for the blinds and curtains, it was nice to be able to wake in the morning and open the blinds to a great view without leaving the bed!

We ordered room service for breakfast both mornings and were very happy with the standard. The hot items arrived hot and the cold items were cold. Even the coffees arrived hot!

We felt comfortable being there with our young son, we were concerned that the hotel might not be very family friend but happily noticed there were a number of families staying at Crown Towers.

All of this with the excellent location made for a very positive experience, we'll definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Crown Towers - Deluxe King (lowest level of room) rack rate approx $360

This is a very stylish hotel that has been well refurbished.
We stayed just one night.

The good: The room was lovely with very stylish fittings and carpets. Breakfast in bed was fantastic ($98 for 2 people so it'd wanna be). Stunning bathroom. Separate toilet and shower.
Great amenities. Huge flat screen TV including a smaller TV above the bath. Firm bed. Nice pillows.

The not so good:
The lighting in the room is expensive, classy but a bit baffling. You need to press anything to turn on a random set of lights before you can see the switches to work out how to set the lighting. The lowest light setting seems to still involve an annoying spotlight above the bed. Why not offer a corner floor lamp that's controlled from the bedhead?

(BTW does anyone else love the bath that has a wall of shutters that can be opened to the main room? Why don't more hotels offer this layout? Crown Perth has this layout but not Melbourne. Just a comment...)

The lobby is very large and lacking in any real warmth and styling. It used to be lovely but has been rendered lifeless.

The pool and spa is badly located and always has been. Some architect back in '94 saw fit to position it so that guests descending in a towel or a robe have to exit a lift, pass 2 corporate clubs, meeting rooms, 2 restaurants and a night club. Then once in the pool area, Crown enjoys hiring out the Breezes restaurant which is on the pool deck. On the day we were there we sat in our bathers as a large group of birthday party guests continually filed past us just a few metres away.

Spa Bath.
The spa bath is terrible! It is hidden in the main pool so you need to look across the surface of the water for bubbles to find it. On closer inspection you'll notice that it's a walk through spa open at one end. This acts to lose all the hot water so the spa is cold most of the time.

Other than these small points Crown staff are really well trained and set the standard for service.
A great 5 Star hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MrAndrewCairns, General Manager at Crown Towers, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you kindly for your observations after your recent stay at Crown Towers.

Our bedding and linen are generally very popular and I was happy to see that you too enjoyed them. Your positive comments about both the room and bathroom are also appreciated.

I am always very grateful for constructive feedback through our “guests eyes” and have shared your comments with the wider management team for further discussion.

In case of future stays, you should be aware that the Crown Spa offers male and female aqua retreats in private areas away from the main pool that include generous spa baths.

The lights above the bed are individually controlled reading lights and your room should be set on arrival with particular lights on depending on the time of day. I apologise if this was not the case.

Again, thank you for your comments and we do hope to welcome you again.

Crown Towers

Been to Crown Towers? Share your experiences!