“Charming Gem in CBD” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis Styles Melbourne, The Victoria Hotel

You added Ibis Styles Melbourne, The Victoria Hotel to your Saves list
Ibis Styles Melbourne, The Victoria Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   215 Little Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia (Melbourne CBD)   |
Special Offer
Early Booking
Ranked #86 of 171 Hotels in Melbourne
A TripAdvisor Member
“Charming Gem in CBD”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

This hotel has alot of character and is ideally located in the heart of the city. Close to trams, shops and restaurants and theatres: is also a short stroll to the Treasury Gardens, Federation Square and Chinatown. Despite the current renovations, this hotel proved to be quiet . Staff are friendly and give great service. There is a small gym and heated recreation pool on the rooftop with an outdoor balcony. Note that the pool is not large enough for the lap swimmer however ideal for the quick dip or impromptu aqua aerobics session.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
GeneralManager215, General Manager at Ibis Styles Melbourne, The Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2010
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stayed and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

My wife and I booked the Hotel via Qantas website (as a package) but were still able to select this particular hotel. I choose the hotel for its location and its (avegage) rating on Trip Advisor. As quite a number of travellers have commented, I also found the the staff at the Reception Counter were about as warm and friendly as a cop issuing a speeding ticket. We were the only guests checking in at the time and I really felt like I interupted her day by expecting her to check us in and hand over the key to the room - dont expect a smile. The trek to the room was intresting as we had to pass between two buildings at along the way and the way and several corriodors before we foind it. Fortunately, the room was in far better shape than the reception. The room was very clean had been recently renovated with new furntiure and very surprisingly - a huge 40" TV. The bathroom had also been renovated but the choice of handbasins meant there wasnt a great deal of room between the basin and the wall to get to the shower. Not a big deal for us, but a large person may have some challenges. The in room safe is a cheapy and I wouldnt trust it for security. We tried to use the spa in the gymnasium on 6th floor but it was "full" of teenagers who didnt beleive in letting someone else enjoy the facilities so we left after waiting half an hour. Not the hotels fault, but there should be some limits in place so all guests can enjoy. Everything Melbourne City has to offer is less than a 20 min walk from the hotel, a two minute walk to the Bourke St Mall and only five minute walk to many restaurants. The Hotel doesnt have room service, but you can phone order takeway food from the Thai Restuarant downstairs and collect yourself. The buffet breakfast (same restuarant) isnt too bad for the $17 price tag but with the many cafes open early in Melbourne it isnt hard to find a cheaper 'fresher' alternative. Overall, if you can handle the 'cold reception' on check in (and check out too), then the Victoria Hotel (Heritage type room) isn't a bad place to stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager215, General Manager at Ibis Styles Melbourne, The Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2010
Thank you very much for your feedback. In regards to your comments about Reception and your experience, I shall pass these on for use in future training. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

After emailing the hotel and requesting a quite room several days before travelling, I received emailed confirmation that my request would be accommodated. On arrival with my two colleagues I mentioned the request I had made to ensure I would be getting a quiet room. I was given a room at the back of the hotel on the 8th floor with the explanation that it was away from the traffic.

I turned on the airconditioning a ready for a couple of hours on entering the room in the evening. On turning it off and attempting to sleep I realised there was a very loud humming noise right above my room. They had accommodated me on the top floor right underneath the hotel's air-conditioning unit.!!

I tried to get to sleep but after 2 hours of tossing and turning, I rang the night duty staff and complained. I was told about the airconditioning unit on the roof. I expalined about my request for a quiet room and was told the hotel was full and I could not be moved until the next day. I asked why I had been given that room given we had booked several days earlier and I had arrived with two colleagues. I was told to ask them if I could change rooms with them. It was 1:00am!!

I naturally declined on my colleagues' behalf.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
GeneralManager215, General Manager at Ibis Styles Melbourne, The Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2010
Thank you very much for your feedback. We apologise that your room request was not satisfied but as I am sure you can understand we do not know what room you wil be checked in to until arrival therefore we are not able to fulfil all requests. We thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

It was NOT a very nice experience to stay at the hotel. The hotel staff was reasonable good, but the room was very bad and disqusting. The carpet is stink, the linen is smell old and ithcy, and we hate to see the sink in the room which make us feel sick. I remember we also stayed in the hotel in the event of 2007 Australian open it was a very bad experience and we did not realise that we were going to stay in the same hotel since the hotel's name was changed or the management has changed. Also the picture in the Accor website for the hotel does not show much at all. It is very misleading and tricky. We are very dissapointed with the hotel and Accor , I am sure we will learn from the experience.

Yours truly,

Rama Edward SPencer
Sydney
2/24 Addison St
Kensington NSW 2033

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. The hotel is going through some extensive renovations and we are happy to announce that over 50% of the hotel is now fully renovated. This includes brand new bathrooms, fittings, fixtures and furnishing as well as flat screen TV and ducted air conditioning. These new rooms are called Heritage Rooms and are available to be booked now. The lobby has now been completely renovated and these changes included an enormous exotic fish tank, which really does stand out. Thank you again for your comment
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2010

Stay : 24 to 26 Oct 2010

Room - New one are ok, i bet the old one are not... make sure you request for the newer furnish one cos from the outlook they look old.

I would not recommend this hotel due to the following point:

1) Check -in : Room not available
Upon arrival ard 1430hr, room still not available still need to wait for another 30 mins. During reservation hotel already request information about est time of arrival which i have indicated as 1400hour... what is the purpose of asking if the room would not be ready upon arrival for check-in

2) Storage of luggage upon check out : Different prices quoted & Lady supervior very RUDE
On the day i check in, i have enquire with the reception on the charges of storing my 2 big luggage since it cant be stored at the std locker service available. I was quoted AUD5 & was told they have a basement to store it.
But on the day of check out, the reception have informed me that they couldn't store my luggage. After some argument with the reception & checking with her supervior, they accepted my luggage storage but for AUD7 cos i have 2 BIG luggage. I have no choice but to pay the new quoted AUD7 against the price quoted on the 1st day.
Then the porter walk over to the reception to assist to pick up my luggage storage quoted another price.. suggest wat now.. it's AUD5 again.
I was very pissed by then.. asking them so wat is the final price? The ANG MO lady supervior then give me the $2 "discount" & after which make eyes with the rest of the ladies at the counter.. Sending the kind of unpleasant message.
I must have look like a sucker that is why the ladies including the supervior at the reception counter.

3) Reception at the counter - not helpful
Can't describe or direct proper where is the hotel car park & you need to ask then they would get someone to help.
Like i need to unload my luggage before parking the car since it's a distance from the entrance. The porter is so much better.. showing & directing us how to get to the car park

But I would like to compliment the good porter service rendered by Joe.. Thanks

Thruout my melbourne holiday, this is the worst hotel I have stayed in.. bad customer services really turns one off.

If you are a employee from the hotel, pls do kindly send the supervior for more customer service course & pls don't be racist even though I am a Asian visiting your country.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

I agree with the reviews--you can't beat the hotel for the location. The price was great for a hotel of this quality. I don't believe the STAR system any more so I always check tripadvisor before I book. The lobby and rooms have been recently renovated. And they look very good--nice double bed, modern furniture, bathrooms are fab. Basic toiletries ie shampoo/conditioner and soap. I paid for a superior room--the only difference is that it is a little larger--I would save the money in future. I was on the first floor = no view. But it was quiet. And if you arrive early, leave your stuff in a locker for AUD5. Worth it for me. The sky bus stops at the end of Little Collins Street and it's five and a half blocks to walk. An AUD7 taxi ride if you're not so mobile or have a heavy suitcase. BTW each room has internet connection (I didn't use) and there is a fitness room but I didn't have a chance to use it.

The downside: the tv didn't work at first. Turn off at the wall and then turn back on after a few minutes (the front desk told me and it worked).. Two channels didn't have sound--I didn't care but the next night someone came and fixed them. The airconditioner didn't work and I need it in warner weather-- they moved me to another room which was perfect. All done within minutes...and they gave me a free breakfast. So I was happy.

Overall: Because of the price it's a busy hotel; but staff are efficient. I would def recommend as I felt I got more bang for my bucks :)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are very happy to hear that the service your received was efficient and your issue was resolved promptly. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Been to Ibis Styles Melbourne, The Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!